iPhone navigation app

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

iPhone navigation app

Postby Drazah » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm looking for a basic phone app to help with navigation for off trail walks in qld. I have previously had a Garmin e-trex handheld gps that I used that has recently died and was hoping to be able to replace it with a basic app.
I have read a bit about different apps on this forum but haven't really found any thing that sounds right. Just after something cheap and easy to use.
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: iPhone navigation app

Postby nevw » Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:59 pm

Wikiloc app is free and you can download offline maps.
Gpsies, Strava, Gps Hiker are free apps worthy of a try out. I have only had a bit of a look at these ocassionaly as my Etrex is still working and I find it a superb bit of kit. If it breaks I might get an Oregon 700 if the price ever comes down to suit me.
The new smart phone have good gps chips and would be hard to justify another Garmin for me. The ruggedness and long battery life and use of AA batteries are strong Garmin points.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nevw » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:11 am

Another free app I used quite a bit was Maprika as you can scan any map and add the image to it and follow your planned track on that but it doesn't work now because it needs a later iphone operating system than my old phone has.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drazah » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll start testing a few of these out.
Drazah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hisham » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 10:07 pm

I have topomaps free version on iPhone. Used it a lot but haven't compared it with anything.
Hisham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Techno-Babble