New Phone for GPS and Maps ?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

New Phone for GPS and Maps ?

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 3:50 pm

Does anyone use a newer model android phone for GPS and maps ? I'm worried a newer model might not get as good run time with such big, bright screens, though I hope the newer software is also better at conserving power. I also notice the new models are waterproof and have larger batteries, far more storage for maps too. I'm probably looking at an S7, but maybe an S8.

I have a Samsung S4 but it's getting less and less reliable, shutting off and seizing up for minutes at a time. I'll try resetting it again and maybe a new battery but it's time to think about moving on.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: New Phone for GPS and Maps ?

Postby ribuck » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 5:15 pm

The processor chips in newer phones use less power than older chips. This more-or-less compensates for the increased functionality. I'd say the effective battery life of the Samsung flagship phones has stayed roughly the same over the years, despite small variations from model to model. In any case, I always take a small external power pack, just to be sure.

I'm currently using a Galaxy Note 3, but it is gradually losing functionality (the headphone socket has failed, the portrait/landscape rotation sensor has failed, and a few other niggles). I'm definitely only considering a waterproof phone for its replacement.

I will consider the Note 8 when it is released next month. It's my understanding that, even in the rain, you can use it effectively with the stylus. I have tried a few waterproof phones in the rain and, while the waterproofing may protect the innards of the phone from the rain, it's hard to interact with the phone because the screen also responds to the raindrops that your finger is swirling around. However, the stylus is detected differently and may not have this problem. That's the theory anyway.

If I don't get the Note 8, I will consider the LG G6, because I strongly prefer its flat screen to the curved screen of the Samsung flagships. I find it a bit fiddly to hold a curved screen device tightly while navigating in the bush, without accidentally touching the screen near its edges.

Mapping and navigation is the main use of my phone. I'm evaluating phones according to the following criteria:

• Screen brightness, for map-reading in the bright Australian sunshine
  • Screen size, to reduce the amount of scrolling and zooming that is needed (but it still needs to fit in my pocket)
  • Loudspeaker volume, e.g. for when the phone is in my pocket and I'm near a noisy waterfall
  • Waterproofness (not just "shower-proofness")
  • Fast processor, for rendering vector maps on-the-fly
  • Plenty of memory, so that I can keep vector maps for all my walking areas permanently on the phone
One thing I am NOT concerned about is screen resolution. I don't anticipate using the phone for virtual reality applications. For bushwalking applications, I don't think there is any benefit from resolution greater than the 1920 by 1080 that my current phone has.
Last edited by ribuck on Tue 25 Jul, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 5:19 pm

Lithium battery technology has also improved over time. Run time has generally increased overall to past. GPSr circuitry has also improved on their power efficiency.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Off-track » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 1:22 pm

Has anyone used CAT phones?

The S41 seems very good as a rugged, waterproof, high-battery-capacity, 5" outdoor screen, Android 7 phone with camera. See the GPS-oriented review at https://www.pocketnavigation.de/2017/09/test-cat-s41-powerbank-rugged-phone/ (with your favourite machine translation).

There does not seem to be an Australian distributor, but it can be imported in APAC version (including 4G LTE band 28 = 700 MHz for Telstra users) from the UK for about AU$644. It weighs about 215 g, but it seems to be robust enough to replace both phone and GPSr in demanding conditions. The battery is such high capacity that you might also decide to leave your solar charger at home. The screen even has a glove/ rain mode. The main negative is the risk of no local warranty back-up I guess.
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 5:56 pm

Only for Google Maps, but I'm a die-hard HTC fan. They make awesome top teir phones but don't have the marketing budget of Samsung.

Current model is the Ten.
Previous model was a 4yo One that still had the same specs as modern mid-priced phones! (just a poor battery in that one).
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Off-track » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks Neo. HTC is up to U11, but I can not see anything in the HTC range that is either rugged or waterproof. Their best seems to be IP67 (splash resistant).

I think any recent Android phone will work with navigation apps like Oruxmaps, but the GPS quality varies (many users reported GPS problems with Moto phones which were otherwise fine). From what I have seen, only a few rugged (mil-spec) and waterproof (IP68+) phones work across all Australian 4G bands, which may be important for remote reception. Even fewer combine this with bright ('sunlight') screens and long battery life that may be appreciated by multi-day hikers.

I guess suitability depends on the hiking conditions to be encountered and the confidence each person wants that their GPSr / phone will still work after a fall or a dunk in a creek.
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm

Also hard to get a case for an HTC, the life-proof type are usually for the latest iPhone & Samsung.

Exped make a drybag with padded insert and velcro strap for attaching or there are those clear waterproof sleeves.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Off-track » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes, I use an iPhone 6s with a 'dog&bone' case (at work) and it really is waterproof, though a bit muffled. I tried the lock-top vinyl cases on my android phone. That seemed waterproof, but it made the phone too much of a pain to use under challenging conditions (which of course is when you really want the phone / GPSr).
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 6:28 pm

Might be best to rely on a map +/- an actual GPS.

I take my phone for it's great camera. Plus it lives in my pocket...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Off-track » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 9:54 am

I guess there are as many approaches as there are hikers, but in terms of the OP: something like the Cat S41 would be rugged and WP enough to substitute for GPSr, phone, camera and spare batteries (at a considerable weight saving). I only wish units like this were more readily available in Aus, but there must not be enough demand. Personally I always carry a (WP) paper map and compass when hiking off track, and use them frequently: they weigh very little and work instantly without batteries. But the GPSr (now in robust WP phone) is a good backup when 'temporarily geographically embarrassed' and fun to look at a track later.
Off-track
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 3:03 am

I ended up getting a Samsung A7. It works well for navigation. It's waterproof, and has a 5.7" screen that is bright enough to be usable in sunshine. It has a larger-than-average battery, and takes a micro-SD memory card so it can hold plenty of maps. And it has the needed 4G frequencies, including the 700MHz Telstra rural frequency. I wouldn't call it rugged though, so I use it with a case.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble