GPX Route Split/Manipulation

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPX Route Split/Manipulation

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 1:53 pm

[TLDR - I need a recommendation on a tool to manipulate GPX files, Windows 10 or Android]

I recently picked up a Garmin inReach Explorer+.

One of the limitations is routes over 500 points are automatically "filtered" down to 500 on imprort in the the legacy Delorne map tool. As such a bit of thought needs to go into whether you need the point granularity on a given route or not.

Since the unit does come with Open Street Maps, most NSW walking tracks are already there in some fashion and very good. However I would like to be able to bring in detailed GPX tracks and maintain the resolution if needed.

I'd like a recommendation on a tool to manipulate GPX files, on Windows 10 or Android. A web search brings up a bewildering set of tools to parse.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: GPX Route Split/Manipulation

Postby keithy » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:29 pm

Have you tried Garmin's Basecamp?
http://www.garmin.com/en-AU/shop/downloads/basecamp

You can use an OSM Topo map as a background if you put it on an external USB device in the \Garmin directory (like a USB flash drive, or on an SD Card in a card reader) then it reads the img map as if it was in a Garmin GPS.

Basecamp can seem daunting as it has a high learning curve and is annoyingly unintuitive.

I also have used these open source projects:

Both of which can also edit and manipulate gpx files.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewp » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 5:07 pm

I mostly use QMapShack https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmapshack/wiki/Home.
This can also read Garmin img files and you don't need them on a removable device, but the set up is a bit more involved than BaseCamp.

I have also used GPSPrune, which I find very good at reducing tracks and deleting bits you don't want (e.g. where you stopped for lunch).
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Flipper Hands » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks gentlemen.

GPS Prune got me sorted, boy there is some cruft out there. GPSPrune is probably all I will ever need. I'll have a play with Basecamp next week though.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble