Desktop version
For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.
Post a reply

So... What's App 2018?

Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:35 pm

Dear all -

I'm looking for an app recomendation, for either android (prefered) or apple.

What I want to do:

. pinpoint where I am on a map
. not be reliant on phone coverage
. be overlaid with UTM co-ords
. be able to switch between a satellite image and a topo map
. work on opening, easy and intuitive to use.

It would work something similar to this (zoom in, location 'on'):

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &coord=utm

I have looked at a large number of (free only) apps so far, but none seem to be abe to do this...

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/recommendations you might have.

cheers

LBC

Re: So... What's App 2018?

Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:14 am

Two apps (Android) I am currently playing with are:

. Offline Survival Manual - Free, very comprehensive, can access offline and simple to navigate. User average score: 4.7/5.

. Best Knots (animated) - Free, easy to follow diagrams which can be repeatedly looped. User average score: 4.2/5.

cheers

LBC

Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:01 am

I've been a long term user of AlpineQuest on android for GPS mapping. With a little bit of configuration it does all the things you are wanting.

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks FB -

I have downloaded the paid version of Alpine Quest ($9.99) and am starting to have a play with UTM overlays... looking good!

cheers

LBC

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 2:46 pm

"Handy GPS -bushwalking app" Australian designer.

Wed 17 Jan, 2018 1:03 pm

Map Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu 22 Mar, 2018 2:23 pm

Oruxmaps. (android) Steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it then its easy to use and highly customisable.

Not sure if you can show a grid overlay but you can set so it always displays the grid ref of any point on the map that is under the cursor. (also lat/long and others)

Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:46 am

Lamont,
I downloaded the paid version of Handygps.
The map options there do not seem to allow me to access topo maps with tracks for the national parks.
Do you know how this can be accessed on this app?
I do not expect to use this application for navigation on a regular basis but there have been times where I have gone off track and would have appreciated knowing where I was on my phone while offline.
I have a Garmin gps for times where I have set up a track to follow etc, but I do not want to carry that regularly, but I always have me phone with me, even if turned off.

Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm

G'day Suresh, I suggest you contact the designer. I have seen some "tile" tutorials, his site is www.binaryearth.
I played with the paid version $2.49 when I got it-for a while and found the features great, then my phone crashed and died and I couldn't get back in. So I went with OSMandroid free version and paid for the topo maps-only a couple of dollars on my new S7. Really sorry I can't help.
Might not help, but the OSM for what I want to do is really excellent.
Load a whole state map once, no tiles, and off you go. Buy the "topo and land shadows" and they overlay really clearly.All by sats, GLONASS -no towers required and very accurate,stood by landmarks on maps and the OSM via stas is sopt on! phone in airplane mode uses next to no power.
Should there be chance, download the free OSM and have a play, costs nothing to try, and it will leave the Garmin in the shade, such is the detail.

Sun 03 Mar, 2019 12:03 pm

I like FATMAP, a more interactive version of Google Earth. It also provides a higher resolution than GE.

Review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncanmadd ... 126b1410f8

Compatibility:

https://fatmap.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... _site=true
Post a reply