PeakLens App

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

PeakLens App

Postby bluewombat » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 8:35 am

I am sure many of you are familiar with this app but did not find anything via search on the website so thought I would post it
Everyone knows the frustration of standing on top of a mountain and looking at the sea of other peaks and not being certain whether it is mountain x or hill y unless they have a really distinctive outline like Geryon or Frenchmans. This app helps a lot with identifying what you are looking at, you open the app and point the phone camera at the peak/s in question and voila, a reasonably accurate list of what you are looking at. You can take a shot and the labels remain for future reference. The app is free and my antivirus/malware has not found anything lurking at the bottom of the garden. You can quibble a little about it not telling you whether a peak is actually in view or how far away it is and it does watermark the shots you take using the app but hey you can't have it all. Couple of examples below from my recent wander up Mt Blackwood.
[img]
PKLNS_20180123_123035[1].jpg
[/img]
[img]
PKLNS_20180123_131612[1].jpg
[/img]

BW
Attachments
PKLNS_20180123_123035[1].jpg
PKLNS_20180123_131612[1].jpg
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: PeakLens App

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 7:36 am

Finally, a bushwalking-related app that I would actually use. Provided I remember to take my phone. Not that my ancient iPhone would be able to run this app, but I suppose it's the thought that counts...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby onward » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:08 pm

Tried it from Mt Tassie (Vic) and it didn't pick up Mt Baw Baw and related hills that were in clear view...disappointing because it is a great concept!
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:36 pm

I too like the concept. It is a anandroid app .. so may not be avalible for iphone.

onward wrote:Tried it from Mt Tassie (Vic) and it didn't pick up Mt Baw Baw and related hills that were in clear view...disappointing because it is a great concept!

Both Mt Tassie and Mt baw Baw are in OSM .. so the data is there .. possibly they have their north/south conversions mucked up .. so it 'only' works in there area of the world?
A complaint may help resolve the issue.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 3:54 pm

As for many apps, the success depends on feedback from its users. If you like the concept, then by all means email the developer and see the issue fixed.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bluewombat » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 4:42 pm

There are some steps to make sure you get the best from this app, notably waving your phone through a figure 8 movement a few times when you first fire it up on a walk, I assume this gets the compass organised to match with the GPS data. It certainly pulls up some pretty obscure peaks around Tasmania without any issues
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble