AA Battery -the Champ-non rechargeable.

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

AA Battery -the Champ-non rechargeable.

Postby Lamont » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 8:59 am

I'll be buggered if I can find the referral to AA batteries on here, that I am looking for. I want the best non-rechargeable AA battery that I can buy singly and easily-(2 pack if such a thing exists is okay-but I really prefer single). This was discussed on here I'm sure, but I can't find it. I know it will not give the light my 14500 battery gives now, but that's alright.
Long lasting, cheapish, will sit for longer periods of inactivity and hold charge
Could someone point out the best-it is for my Olite baton S15. There is often much non-use and then (winter) bursts of activity, now it is early morning walks in the dark for half an hour to an hour occasionally.
Keithy or anyone might you have any ideas?
Thanks.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: AA Battery -the Champ-non rechargeable.

Postby Warin » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:26 am

Choice did a test - results behind there subscriber wall https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-a ... -batteries

Canstar review .. not a test but consumer satisfaction https://www.canstarblue.com.au/home-garden/batteries/

US review with some interesting comments https://clark.com/shopping-retail/kirkl ... -aa-tally/

But best - cheap, low self discharge and long life .. think you'll have to throw cheap to get the best of the other two, and that will be a lithium, possibly duracell.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks Warin. I will read the links.
I thought (in the post I can't find) that there was some conjecture about the effectiveness of Li compared to some other batteries. Perhaps them being over rated? Have you heard this?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 9:07 pm

I generally use rechargeable NiMH batteries (Eneloop/Eneloop Pro/Ikea Ladda White) for most applications nowadays.

But for non rechargeable batteries:

Alkalines
I've not been a fan of using alkalines for about the past 10 years or so.

The biggest worry is that they will leak inside your equipment.

Duracell around the time of being owned by Proctor and Gamble started leaking, and have ruined a bit of kit. They did have a "Duracell Leak Guarantee" warranty and would replace the batteries, and potentially any ruined equipment but I'm not sure if they still do that now.

Leaking isn't confined to Duracell though, I've have various brands of alkalines leak - all well within their expiry dates. The most recent was the free alkalines (that came with an aldi torch). This leaked inside a cheap torch I had but luckily I checked it and was able to clean the negative contacts before it the corrosive material ate through the rubber seal.

So I don't recommend alkalines these days, especially if you happen to leave the battery inside equipment for a period of non-use. If you do choose alkaline, make sure there is some form of guarantee to repair or replace damaged equipment - eg http://www.energizer.com/about-batterie ... ry-leakage.

Lithium Primary (non-rechargeable)
These are the longest lasting AA option with very long shelf lives. They also happen to be the lightest and the battery chemistry is not prone to leakage like the alkaline versions. But they are expensive in comparison with Alkalines.

They also have a flatter discharge curve compared with alkalines, meaning that if your torch does not have a regulated driver, using lithium primary batteries, it will maintain a constant brightness longer than the alkaline battery. Torches with direct drive and alkaline battery will become dimmer with use, while using a lithium battery it stays at a more constant level of brightness, before dropping off sharply when the battery is depleted.

I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium primary batteries for some applications where I require the the full 1.5V from an AA, or where I am trying to save weight for through walks, eg my Steripen Classic (lasts longer than using rechargeable NiMH even Eneloop Pros), or my Garmin GPS.

They have very long shelf lives - my batch bought in the past few years have expiries of between 2028 and 2036. And they will hold their charge when not being used, as long as there is no draw from your torch.

As mentioned, the downside is that they can be expensive. The cheapest is usually around $15 for a four pack.

I have the Olight S15R (the rechargeable version of the S15). I use a mixture of 14500 and NiMH batteries in it, and on occasion have used a lithium primary battery in it. The lithium primary gives around about half the brightness in full mode compared with the 3.7V 14500, but I found it can last longer than the 14500 in terms of usage time.

If you intend to leave the torch unused for a period of time, I usually recommend removing the battery, but with my Olight S15R, if you twist the tail cap a quarter of a turn loose, it acts as lockout mode. This can make sure there is not a vampiric draw from the torch while you leave it unused with a battery inside.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 10:16 pm

yeah, I'd basically parrot what keithy stated just a couple differences in brands and gear. I've had leaks from every type of alky battery, including industrial grade energizers. I've been pretty happy with aldi NiMH for most stuff, I have not done any real run tests, but apart from sometimes needing to trim the label, they are better than the china made eneloops (I think)
If you just want a good battery, then any alky will do, just don't leave it in the torch when you are done walking. I like leaving my gear ready to go, and just try to cycle the batterys over the charger every couple months.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks very much Keithyand GG. Yes I have always done the quarter turn of the tail cap. I found the Energiser li you referred to for $12 on ebay but I need to buy a 4 pack.
I would like to try the ikea ones you mentioned but a drive of 120ks is needed. I will probably give the energisers a go, ta. I definitely will avoid the Alkalines. I had several leak too. I reckon I only need one or two a year. I use a N20 nitecore rechargeable headtorch otherwise, but would like to keep olite in use and the rechargeable 14500 in it has had the richard.I have on occasion taken the wee olite as a backup to the N20. Thanks again for your advice.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:07 am

Lamont wrote: I found the Energiser li you referred to for $12 on ebay but I need to buy a 4 pack.

$12 for the 4 pack is a pretty good price if they are legit.

They also do come in 2 packs, but it is usually more cost effective in the 4 pack. Eg. My woolies has the 2 pack for $14 and office works has the 2 pack for $11. So if you can get them for $12 for the 4 pack, it's pretty good.

Like I mentioned, they have really long shelf lives - look at the expiry dates printed at the top (positive terminal). So even if you don't use them regularly, it shouldn't be an issue.
keithy

Postby Lamont » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks, I think will eventually get the Ikea ones you mention. Their smallest (really compact which I like) charger (USB) and 2 bat (white 2400) were a great price, my daughter goes there every so often. Basically the same price as the Energiser Lithiums and for my purposes ideal.
But as I was heeding your rechargeable words and I need a couple of keyring torches for my daughters, (they must be small Dad!), I lighted on this:
Olight i1r EOS 130 lumen USB rechargeable keyring torch.
I bought three, one for me. Day walking out of the dark on reasonable paths/tracks -no mountainsides, (usually 30 mins tops) this will do for now -what a little cracker. I will also stick it my overnight sack as a backup to the N20. Twelve grams, rechargeable and at 5 lumens for multiple hours. When I get to Ikea this will go into the car or onto the keyring.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 10 Jul, 2018 5:26 pm

Just a follow up to the Olight i1r EOS 130 lumen USB rechargeable keyring torch which I bought. Half the size of my pinky and I have small hands! Run times are true so far and far more pleasing is the fact that after 20 mins on 130 lumens-it doesn't cut out, just switches down to the 5 lumens (not overly dim-very useable) I am guessing. The 5 lumens become 1 maybe? This may be "normal" in these torches, but it really pleased me as I assumed it would be dead and need immediate charging. So I am guessing a couple more hours of use before charging. Now I need some bright string to tie to it. It is that small.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble