Warning- SatNav,Mobile's, GPS

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Warning- SatNav,Mobile's, GPS

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 9:05 am

A friend in the states related a story to me last night. He had read it in the local paper so its third hand but the possibilities seem valid:

A 'hiker' had parked at a 'trail-head' to go off on an overnight walk with his family. He had taken his GPS and PLB and headed off leaving the car with the satnav screen locked in the glove box. While he was gone, the car was stolen. They got into the glove box, hooked up the sat-nav and found the 'home' link. Of course, knowing exactly where the guy was, and finding no-one at the house the thieves took their time, once the poor guy's dramas in getting home were over, he opened the door to find the house completely empty :shock: Police say that it wasnt the first time, just the latest in a series of this latest 'scam'...

I guess it could be relevant to GPs also. I hadnt really thought much about the lengths some people would go to but there were many similar scams. Another was working through texting peoples partners from stored mobile lists. They then send a message something like... at the bank, just cant remember the PIN.... Apparently there are all sorts of troubles with facebook and identity fraud. The thieves can find a ready made list of personal details complete with photos that can me manipulated :shock:

Anyhow, have a nice day :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Warning- SatNav,Mobile's, GPS

Postby tasadam » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 9:17 am

tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Clownfish » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 9:23 am

This story has been dealt with at urban legends website http://www.snopes.com: http://www.snopes.com/crime/intent/gps.asp

There have been a couple of documented incidents, but compared to "traditional" methods of burglarising, the GPS option seems fairly small potatoes: "real incidents or not, the fear that robbers will use their victim's GPS to gain their home address is likely exaggerated. Robbers typically favor low-tech solutions over high-tech ones" (one suspects, perhaps, because most petty crims are not the sharpest tools in the shed) and "a potential burglar breaking into randomly selected cars ... would have no way of knowing that the vehicle owner's homes weren't occupied by various other family members or friends, or even an ill-tempered, sharp-toothed dog or three."
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 9:36 am

They are interesting references. I wonder if thieves read snopes? I wouldn't have thought that the average thief was that smart :wink: It does bring some of these things to mind though... the details given out and what is left in the car? I also wonder about the details on the site. if really dedicated it wouldn't be hard to link things together to get an idea of peoples movements, who they are by the posts they make. Personally, i dont have a big online 'profile' or many subscriptions,but it has crossed my mind before....
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clownfish » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 1:15 pm

Oops, didn't notice adam's link there. :mrgreen:

Snopes is always my first port of call whenever I receive some sort "You must read this!" type email :D
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 2:52 pm

i'm a bit skeptical about even the skeptics though :D A bit like getting a wikieducation about things, everyone mostly on the right track but then if not then everyone on the wrong track maybe?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Clownfish » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 6:03 pm

I find snopes pretty trustworthy; they usually do their homework pretty thoroughly.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble