Desktop version
For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.
Post a reply

Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Sat 10 Nov, 2018 7:49 pm

Im a avid navigation app user. I use an app (orux maps) for all my bush navigation. I don’t use the gps or track my route so I usually get 2-3 days solid navigation use out of a single charge. (Im mainly using the digital map/compass). I also use the phone for taking photos, reading at night. Phone is always in flight mode and turned off at night.

However, I was in Kosciusko NP recently with temps in the low single digits. Full sunlight/no tree coverage ment my phone display brightness needed to be maxed in order to see it enough for nav. The battery lost 50% in the space of a few hours. I was taking a lot of photos at the time so I’m sure that was a contributor.

How do other users cope with very cold/bright sunlight conditions? Is there anything you do to keep your phone warm while not in use? Eg put in a (close to body) jacket pocket etc? I currently have it in a pouch. Do you generally bring a bring a larger battery pack to top up your phone when in alpine conditions? For a 5 day trip how big is the battery pack?

Yes I know I could use a paper map… :lol:

Re: Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Sat 10 Nov, 2018 11:37 pm

Was in Harbin 2 yrs ago, -20C during the day. My iPhone died even when kept in my pants pocket. Pockets are not warm enough when it gets really cold. Try a battery bank kept inside your cloths and next to the body, then a short cord to connect to the device.

Re: Smart phone navigation in cold/ bright conditions

Sun 11 Nov, 2018 5:40 am

I take an old fashion map and compass as well
A prudent navigator always has more than one arrow in his quiver
Post a reply