Help with uploading tasmaps to Avenza

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Help with uploading tasmaps to Avenza

Postby sherpa » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi all,
Just put Avenza app on my iPhone, the fee version, thought I’d see how I liked it before buying the pro version. Brought a tasmap, downloaded it, sent it to the cloud, retrieved from the cloud to app. The map is there in ‘My maps’, but says ‘map not referenced’. Clicking on map only shows a small picture of map legends, no topographic map. Also says ‘unable to detect coordinates etc.
What do I need to do to open this map in Avenza, Do I have to upgrade to the paid version to use third party maps?
Thanks
sherpa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Help with uploading tasmaps to Avenza

Postby sherpa » Wed 26 Feb, 2020 7:13 pm

Should read ‘free version’.
sherpa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Fri 06 Mar, 2020 5:36 pm

I have just been doing this for my upcoming trip to Tassie.
  • I downloaded the maps to my computer and unzipped them.
  • Then copied the .tiff file to a folder on my phone I have labelled "Maps".
  • In Avenza I hit the Plus button (lower right) and choose the "Download or import" button.
  • Then choose "From device storage", navigate to the folder and choose your map. It takes a little while for Avenza to load and reformat the map into its private folder and then it will appear in the map list.
  • You can then display the required map in Avenza.
To see the map you may need to click on the button to the right marked with 3 stripes and choose "Imported Maps" to see the non-Avenza sourced maps or "Maps Ony" to see all maps Avenza and imported.
The current version only allows 3 non-Avenza purchased maps at a time so if you need an extra then delete one of Tasmaps from Avenza and load the next one you need. This does not delete the tiff in the Maps folder, only the reformatted Avenza version.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby sherpa » Sun 08 Mar, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks Mark,
Your help has been much appropriated. I’ve managed to get it up and running now. To say that I’m not technically minded would be a gross understatement.
Cheers!
sherpa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Techno-Babble