Spot 2

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Spot 2

Postby photohiker » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 9:52 pm

Correct, I have the Spot2

As I understand it, the main differences between Spot1 and 2 are better antennas, Protection for the SOS and help buttons so that they cannot be accidentally activated, a change from AA to AAA batteries, less operating time on a set of batteries, and a reduction is the size of the device.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:19 pm

I received my spot 2 and have just gone through the activation process and tested the OK function. I received the messages almost instantaneously after the sending light started flashing.

I'm going to use the OK function sparingly and limit the number of contact mobiles since the subscription only includes 200 premium SMS messages. After that I'll be further billed.

Does anyone have any experience of battery life in the field when using the 'Track Progress' function on the spot 2. How many hours can I expect to be able to run the 'Track Progress' function with a single set of lithium batteries? What brand batteries do you recommend?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:36 pm

The first set that it came with lasted around 85 hours of tracking:

Testing around home before the trip: 3-4 hours
Walking in Scotland: Over 80 hours before changing the batteries.

The light started flashing red on day 10 and I changed the batteries. Not sure if it had stopped sending or just warning the batteries were low.

I use the eveready lithiums.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:44 pm

photohiker wrote:The first set that it came with lasted around 85 hours of tracking:

Testing around home before the trip: 3-4 hours
Walking in Scotland: Over 80 hours before changing the batteries.

That's excellent performance! That should be ample for my trip on the Overland. I'll take a spare set of batteries. Thanks for the info!
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby photohiker » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 7:55 am

Spares are good.

Don't do what I did and leave it to the last moment to get the spares - AAA lithiums can be hard to find.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 6:02 pm

photohiker wrote:Spares are good.

Don't do what I did and leave it to the last moment to get the spares - AAA lithiums can be hard to find.

eBay have a good supply. A 4 pack of Energizer AAA lithiums at Big W costs $19.92. You can buy the same thing from various Australian sellers on eBay shipped to your door for around $8.00. Bargain! :D
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby norts » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 7:17 am

There is a walk going on this weekend to High Dome which you canfollow on spot

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 2HnSFaHC6u

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby flatfoot » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:01 am

norts wrote:There is a walk going on this weekend to High Dome which you canfollow on spot

Roger

Looks interesting. I tried the track progress function for the first time yesterday. We were walking in a deep narrow gorge in the Blue Mountains near Fortress Ridge. In the 5 hrs there were 19 progress messages. Half the walk was on ridge tops and the other half in the gorge. We were quite deep in the gorge for about 2 hrs. During this time there were no progress messages which is not surprising.

Also - I can't seem to get 'track progress' messages to show up on a shared map at findmespot.com. Does the sharing of individual points only work if the sharing is setup before the activity?

(edit: corrected quantity of progress messages whilst in gorge)
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby photohiker » Mon 01 Nov, 2010 9:40 am

norts wrote:There is a walk going on this weekend to High Dome which you canfollow on spot

Roger

Looks like it's turned into a long weekend, they're still out there! :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 9:23 am

There is an extensive review here :
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... eview.html
You need a subscription to read the review itself but you can read the comments for nothing and those may give you some ideas about the review itself.
Rated Highly Recommended by BPL.
(in comparison the Spot 1 was "unrated" because of the erratic performance when tested)
This was posted only a few days ago.
The heading :

"Results of 80 days (750 hours) of field testing of the new SPOT2 in Alaska, the Andes, the Pyrenees, and the Lower 48, including the Sierras and a southwest canyon system."
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby MJD » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 8:38 am

I took my SPOT2 into the Denisons last month. I don't use the tracking feature (prefer to let the GPSMap 60CSx do that as having your track on the GPS makes it so much easier to use) but I did send OK messages out in the evenings and occassionally during the day from a summit. There were five of us on the walk and the SPOT2 was set up to send OK messages to everyone's better halves via email and SMS. Worked perfectly apart from one message that was sent from our last campsite on top of Mt Wright and appeared to go normally but noone received it. It was sent while some pretty dark clouds were whizzing by and there were electrical storms elsewhere in the state so perhaps something to bear in mind for future. (Edit - of course there is always the possibility of user error.)

It was also used to send an ok message from Pandani Shelf (Mt Anne NE Ridge) in poor conditions while camping in the snow and that message got through.

All in all a great little unit. You can set up different groups for the messages. You even have some flexibility with the OK and CUSTOM messages. And the fact that your position goes out with the messages with a link to maps (including GoogleMaps) is a great step forward.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 9:39 am

A bit of info on some good batteries in this topic - viewtopic.php?p=52089#p52089
I bought the Powerex AA 2400's, they are great.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Greenie » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 7:46 pm

Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 9:09 pm

tasadam wrote:A bit of info on some good batteries in this topic - viewtopic.php?p=52089#p52089
I bought the Powerex AA 2400's, they are great.

Just so you know: The Spot2 uses Lithium AAA's and comes with a recommendation for them. I have not tried rechargeables in it, not do I know if they even work or are acceptable (rechargeables are generally 1.25v maybe thats not enough juice to run it)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:10 pm

I read about that the other day when I was looking for details on new cameras for 2011. I have a Spot 2 which I like.

I like the concept of this new device given that you can send 41 character messages you can create in the field (in addition to pre-programmed messages), however I don't like it relying on the connected phone for control. Yes, this does give an interface that is more user friendly, however it's adding another point of failure ... i.e. You lose charge / break your phone and you have no way of initiating the SOS function!

The functionality is convenient in the sense that it would give a user-friendly rich interface for configuring the spot device. I don't like the clunky web-interface spot uses since I sometimes use my iphone's browser to update details of intended route / party as I set off on a walk.

I would have preferred that they pack the Bluetooth feature into the existing spot 2 form factor, so that you can still use buttons direct on the device (or a smartphone-based interface).

A current gripe is that the vinyl loop on my Spot 2 pouch which is used for retaining the carabiner has torn. The pouch is poorly designed! I nearly lost my spot! (although in some circumstances that would be hard to do given it is a satellite tracking device :lol: , although you could drop it in water or dense tree cover :roll: )
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Spot 2

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:59 am

Just out of curiosity are there any spot 2 users that carry just this device or does everyone carry this for tracking and I'm ok messages and a PLB as well. I'm looking to upgrade my plb (my old one is due for a new battery and I'll get something smaller). I like the fact that I can send the messages from the spot 2 (and can use to get +1 to come pick me up from solo walks etc) but I'm not sure I can warrant the expense of having both if people don't feel spot 2 is good enough to rely upon for SOS.

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MJD » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 8:30 pm

I just use a SPOT2. Tend to send OK messages from each campsite and occassionally at lunchtime. Never had a PLB.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:11 pm

I use mine for Tracking, OK and PLB. Haven't had to use the emergency PLB function and hope I never have to.

If I'm in a vehicle, I take the satphone as well.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 5:06 am

I use a PLB, unless MJD has his SPOT. Dont see the need of carrying both in a group. That way it saves me a few hundred grams in my pack as well.

I only have a PLB to keep the family at home a bit happier. The message funciton on the spot is quite cool however.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Spot 2

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 8:29 am

Excellent. Thanks guys. I know initially people online/in reviews seemed a little reserved for using the spot 2 as a PLB but I must admit I think it's going to suit my purpose well seeing as majority of my walking is local-ish these days (mum of young bubs) so it will function well for an I'm ok/pick me up device that can be a plb when needed on longer, remote multiday stuff (or when I stack in the bush 5 mins from home...sadly it's been done ;-) I just can't warrant replacing my old plb plus getting a spot 2.

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wurrundji » Mon 23 May, 2011 7:57 am

Has anyone used Spot 2 in an emergency situation? I have heard that as calls have to go through the USA rescue system, there can be a time delay while the message gets to the Australian (or Austrian?) authorities. Spot 2 looks like a good thing, but it must be able to send timely rescue messages.
wurrundji
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Mon 23 May, 2011 8:13 am

wurrundji wrote:Has anyone used Spot 2 in an emergency situation? I have heard that as calls have to go through the USA rescue system, there can be a time delay while the message gets to the Australian (or Austrian?) authorities. Spot 2 looks like a good thing, but it must be able to send timely rescue messages.

Have a read of this post - viewtopic.php?p=32383#p32383
They took a SPOT.
In short, I do not believe there are any noticeable delays between activation and "local authorities notified".
Hope that eases any concern you have.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby wurrundji » Mon 23 May, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks. Tasadam. But it would be really good to hear from people who have actually used Spot 2 in an emergency situation, and received timely help. Yes, it's nice to be able to send "I'm OK" messages, but does the device deliver the goods in a life-and-death situation?
wurrundji
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Mon 23 May, 2011 3:54 pm

wurrundji wrote:Thanks. Tasadam. But it would be really good to hear from people who have actually used Spot 2 in an emergency situation, and received timely help. Yes, it's nice to be able to send "I'm OK" messages, but does the device deliver the goods in a life-and-death situation?

They did, and they did.
Maybe send him a PM and ask him if you wanted any further specifics. Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby wurrundji » Mon 23 May, 2011 5:51 pm

Sorry Tasadam. I didn't read down far enough. Spot2 seemed to work OK in this situation. Thanks.
wurrundji
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Mon 23 May, 2011 9:13 pm

No sweat. It's the only case I know of though. And that was a fairly long topic.......
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 24 May, 2011 12:51 am

tasadam wrote:Have a read of this post - viewtopic.php?p=32383#p32383
They took a SPOT

MAN! what an amazing thread! I never knew it existed and it certainly took up a huge chunk of my evening going through all that.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 24 May, 2011 7:20 am

Sure was!

The term "done a breminator" has now become quite common among the walking community down here.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Tue 24 May, 2011 7:37 am

I'm sure there's another mention of using a SPOT somewhere on the forum. I think a party going in the Farmhouse Creek track used one, possibly for someone in another party.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 24 May, 2011 10:23 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Sure was!

The term "done a breminator" has now become quite common among the walking community down here.

Thats funny :) poor fella, it does kinda set you guys up for a fall though?, no mater how experienced or (almost any) circumstance :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble