navigation-capable mobile phones

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: navigation-capable mobile phones

Postby dancier » Wed 02 May, 2012 12:39 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Not for long. I have it on good authority ( ;) ) that there will be a somewhat better iPhone / iPad app soon which will mix custom maps optionally overlaid on either Google maps or OSM maps or a few other similar online options.

Maybe to an extent but my maps are created for a Garmin as well so they get put in the IPhone and Garmin at the same time but if this new app creates a Garmin map then it'll be perfect.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 02 May, 2012 12:44 pm

I've never used a Garmin, nor seen or used maps that work with Garmins. However, it would be an interesting feature to have included. I wonder how easy or difficult it would be to add that. Do you have any references for the file format that Garmin uses for its maps? I certainly wouldn't be adding such a feature to the next release, but if it looked feasible, I could add it to the to-do list for later on.

(I may need to split this discussion off if it goes further - sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.)

PS. Doesn't look like the format is fully understood by anybody outside of Garmin, and therefore not feasible to implement at this stage... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... min/Format
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby dancier » Wed 02 May, 2012 1:00 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Do you have any references for the file format that Garmin uses for its maps? I certainly wouldn't be adding such a feature to the next release, but if it looked feasible, I could add it to the to-do list for later on.

An image file format similar to what Google earth creates would be enough (Image and Kml). The people using the image file would have to make it Garmin compatable.

Edit: Keep in mind it's a Garmin custom map and not the basemap. http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wander » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 3:25 pm

I have been playing about with mumaps in the iPhone 4S and it does the sort of thing I need, sort of. But I can only get it to give me a location in lat and long when I really want it in grid. Is this possible with this or any iPhone GPS app?
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby photohiker » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 3:57 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:PS. Doesn't look like the format is fully understood by anybody outside of Garmin, and therefore not feasible to implement at this stage... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... min/Format

Did you read this:?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/garmin- ... ormat/1.0/
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 4:13 pm

Looks very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I would like to be able to support KMZ tiled images too, but not sure if/when I'll find time to do either.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble