October 2008 Voting and Discussion

Vote for and discuss the entries in the regular and ad-hoc photo competitions. Instructions for entering competitions are also here.
Forum rules
Please avoid commenting on individual competition entries before the associated poll has closed, so as to avoid influencing other voters.

TO ENTER THE CURRENT MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION, go to the Photo Competition entry page and upload your picture using the entry form there. Each competition is open for entries from the 20th of the month to the 19th of the following month. The rules of each competition are on the same page as the entry form.

The entry form page can also be used to review and/or replace existing entries.

This forum is for competition voting and discussion only - not for submitting entries.

Note that only moderators can create new topics in this forum.

Vote for your favourite photo from the list below from October 2008

Poll ended at Tue 18 Nov, 2008 7:16 am

1 - East from Mt Arthur
5%
2 - Dawn on Mt Massif
38%
3 - Sunset Over Falling Mountain from near Lake Elysia
33%
4 - Buttongrass Plains Approaching Lake Bill
5%
5 - Mt Gould
14%
6 - King Billy - Lake Rhona
5%

Total votes : 21

October 2008 Voting and Discussion

Postby Autobot » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 7:16 am

1 - East from Mt Arthur

2 - Dawn on Mt Massif

3 - Sunset Over Falling Mountain from near Lake Elysia

5 - Mt Gould

(This post/poll automatically generated by the Photo Competition system)
Autobot
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Re: October 2008 Voting and Discussion

Postby stu » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 7:47 am

Photo # 3 should be titled 'Sunset over Walled Mountain' (not Falling Mountain) I assume?
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 8:37 am

stubowling wrote:Photo # 3 should be titled 'Sunset over Walled Mountain' (not Falling Mountain) I assume?

I think you're right - looks like Walled Mountain to me.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 7:17 pm

tasadam wrote:
stubowling wrote:Photo # 3 should be titled 'Sunset over Walled Mountain' (not Falling Mountain) I assume?

I think you're right - looks like Walled Mountain to me.

The person who posted the photo has now confirmed with me that it was accidentally mislabelled. It is indeed Walled Mountain. Unfortunately, I can't change the original post now without resetting all the votes, so it will have to stay as is for now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Koolix » Wed 19 Nov, 2008 8:25 pm

How does one vote? I can't find any link to select. The photo of Dawn over Mt Massif is magnificent. It's as though I was there standing next to the person taking the photo
Koolix
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 6:57 am

Sorry Koolix, but you just missed the closing of the poll, which is why you wouldn't have seen the buttons for voting.

Congratulations to rohjoe for winning this month's competition. :-) Well done. Below is the key to each entry's photographer.

1 - East from Mt Arthur
by Chris.

WINNER:
2 - Dawn on Mt Massif
by rohjoe.

3 - Sunset Over Falling Walled Mountain from near Lake Elysia
by MJD.

by tasadam.

5 - Mt Gould
by Son of a Beach.

by Marky.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 7:06 am

Congratulations to the winner! (my pick, which makes me chuffed!) Will be a ripper for the next calander.

Still a very small number of people voting which is a real shame.

Just not sure how to get more readers involved in pressing a button!
Ideas anyone?
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 7:52 am

I didn't see it somehow. Maybe a PM from Admin like the one sent for the Year's best vote would help. Better I didn't vote- I'd have voted for #3, and put you into a tie!
the_camera_poser

Postby johnw » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 8:22 am

frank_in_oz wrote:Still a very small number of people voting which is a real shame.

Just not sure how to get more readers involved in pressing a button!
Ideas anyone?

the_camera_poser wrote:I didn't see it somehow. Maybe a PM from Admin like the one sent for the Year's best vote would help.

I think Nik's PM for the Years Best did increase the voting quite a bit. So people probably do need prompting.
IMHO all of the above photos are worthy of more votes than they received (personally I was torn between #2 and #3 but happy to see any of them on a calendar :) ).

By my calculation only about 3.5% of currently registered members voted. Assuming it's technically possible, what about a flashing icon or some sort of pop up that grabs your attention at each login until until you've voted? Or would that be over the top?

p.s. Tasadam how boggy is that buttongrass plain? Looks pretty dry in that shot. I'm considering visiting Lakes Bill and Myrtle among others on my upcoming trip.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 8:50 am

johnw wrote: Assuming it's technically possible, what about a flashing icon or some sort of pop up that grabs your attention at each login until until you've voted? Or would that be over the top?

Yes John,
I was thinking about something like that - maybe only once rather than each time you log in.....would be a pain

Also like the PM option, rattled the cage and got a lot of voters out that time.

I think the competition is "hidden" on the forum because of the subtle colours that are used. It is hard to make something stand out without it looking out of place.

Maybe the PM option is the best as it "reminds" everyone.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:46 pm

I don't want to do a bulk PM or a mass email, as a lot of people would get tired of receiving them every month. They do have the option of disabling receipt of bulk emails, but I don't want people to disable this unduly, as it would be good to have everyone be able to receive other (eg, once-per-year) bulk emails.

I'll have to consider adding a more obvious item to the 'News and Information' section on the Forum index page each time the voting is open. Trouble with this option is that people will get used to it being there and stop seeing it. But it may be a good compromise.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 1:19 pm

johnw wrote:p.s. Tasadam how boggy is that buttongrass plain? Looks pretty dry in that shot. I'm considering visiting Lakes Bill and Myrtle among others on my upcoming trip.

Quite acceptable. Didn't really notice it that bad, but then there has been quite a bit of rain lately so conditions could have changed dramatically since we were there.
Note that I was "off track" for this photo - furtther up the rise to the east, which is why it looked dry.
I have never really noticed the L.Bill track that boggy, just a bit wet in places. I suppose with a lot of traffic it has the potential though.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Photo Competitions