APRIL 2008 - Discussion

Vote for and discuss the entries in the regular and ad-hoc photo competitions. Instructions for entering competitions are also here.
Forum rules
Please avoid commenting on individual competition entries before the associated poll has closed, so as to avoid influencing other voters.

TO ENTER THE CURRENT MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION, go to the Photo Competition entry page and upload your picture using the entry form there. Each competition is open for entries from the 20th of the month to the 19th of the following month. The rules of each competition are on the same page as the entry form.

The entry form page can also be used to review and/or replace existing entries.

This forum is for competition voting and discussion only - not for submitting entries.

Note that only moderators can create new topics in this forum.

APRIL 2008 - Discussion

Postby Jean @ Arm R » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi there. Can you let me know how to attach an image? No doubt this is very obvious, but I just can't figure it out!Apols if you've done this before and I've missed it.

Also, I've resized my photo today and I see that the date listed in 'Properties' is now today's date. Not sure that it will carry info about the actual date taken. Should I be setting something on my camera to date my photos?

Thanks!
Jean
Jean @ Arm R
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: April Photo Competition

Postby walkinTas » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 7:57 pm

walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: April Photo Competition Discussion

Postby Joe » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 8:42 pm

Split this off from the actual photo thread. If you can call it that...no photos yet...cmon people surely a photo or two has been taken this month?
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby walkinTas » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 12:56 am

Jean @ Arm R wrote:Hi there. Can you let me know how to attach an image? No doubt this is very obvious, but I just can't figure it out! Apols if you've done this before and I've missed it.
Jean

Hi Jean,

So it is easy, here is a link, blah, blah.....

...Except it would appear that there isn't an "attachment" option in the monthly photo competition. Sorry for not paying more attention before posting.

One choice is to upload your image to an online gallery and then create a link to it. And as always in the Wonderfully Weird Web you have options.
1) The Gallery for Forum Members discussion - Taswaterfalls was setting up a gallery site.
2)There are a range of online gallery sites that provide free space to upload your photos. Some choices include:

Some of these are a little bit more difficult to link to than others.
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 24 Apr, 2008 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 7:53 am

Attaching an image for the photo competition (using the method described in WalkinTas' first linked topic) won't reduce the size to less than 800 pixels, so might be OK for the competition.

Taswaterfalls, being the competition master, may be able to give a yea or nay as to whether attached photos are OK for the competition. If so, it is probably the easiest way to include your photos, if you don't already have somewhere else to upload them.

NB: If TW decides that attachments are OK, then the attached photo should still be no more than 800 pixels (even though the attachment system will automtatically show only an 800 pixel thumbnail) in order to comply with the rule about not linking to larger images in the photo competition.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 7:56 am

Jean @ Arm R wrote:I've resized my photo today and I see that the date listed in 'Properties' is now today's date. Not sure that it will carry info about the actual date taken. Should I be setting something on my camera to date my photos?

Hi Jean,

The date information is stored within the picture file itself, and can be viewed using most picture editing/viewing programs (including some web browsers). This is different to the creation and modification dates stored by the file system and reported by the operating system.

Cheers,
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 10:03 am

Son of a Beach wrote:The date information is stored within the picture file itself, and can be viewed using most picture editing/viewing programs (including some web browsers).

If you would like to view this info in Firefox, then you need an extension. I added a quick how-to --> here.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 2:10 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Attaching an image for the photo competition (using the method described in WalkinTas' first linked topic) won't reduce the size to less than 800 pixels, so might be OK for the competition.

Taswaterfalls, being the competition master, may be able to give a yea or nay as to whether attached photos are OK for the competition. If so, it is probably the easiest way to include your photos, if you don't already have somewhere else to upload them.

NB: If TW decides that attachments are OK, then the attached photo should still be no more than 800 pixels (even though the attachment system will automtatically show only an 800 pixel thumbnail) in order to comply with the rule about not linking to larger images in the photo competition.

sounds good to me. It will make things quite a bit easier for people too. Im not entirely sure that PHPBB attachments retain the exif data if it resizes the pic though so people will have to be sure to submit at correct size :D
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 3:42 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:It will make things quite a bit easier for people too. Im not entirely sure that PHPBB attachments retain the exif data if it resizes the pic though so people will have to be sure to submit at correct size :D

It will certainly make it easier. The attachment won't show the EXIF, but if you click the attachment and bring up the image you can still see the EXIF properties.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 6:57 pm

Thats good enough for me. :wink:
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 12:48 am

Correction: You can right-click an "attachment" and see the EXIF properties (with FXIF extension). Don't need to view the image first.
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 24 Apr, 2008 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks guys. This will make it easy for people without their own online photo repository to enter the photo competitions. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: April Photo Competition - Voting

Postby Chris » Tue 27 May, 2008 11:12 pm

Dave Noble gets my vote
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: April Photo Competition - Voting

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 May, 2008 8:14 am

Chris wrote:Dave Noble gets my vote

well, if you haven't actually voted in the poll, you'd better snap to it, because he's currently in a dead-heat with another picture. :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Fri 30 May, 2008 12:02 am

I've been trying Nik! Voted last month no probs, don't know why I can't work it out for April.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 30 May, 2008 7:23 am

Chris wrote:I've been trying Nik! Voted last month no probs, don't know why I can't work it out for April.

Let me know what the problem is, either here or by PM, and I'll see what I can do.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Photo Competitions