Photo sharing websites

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Photo sharing websites

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 05 May, 2013 8:39 pm

Since I dont actually have membership to any such sites are there any recommendations as to what's out there.

Being able to post a few photo's about various bits and pieces would be useful I think, especially when asking for advice on
some of the current projects I'm tinkering with. I don't think it's something I would do a lot of so a fairly simple setup would
suffice. Plus I'm no puter whiz!

Thanks in advance....

P.S. Sony DSLR did not survive recent trip to the bush :( , so new camera [no idea what] on way. Are the camera manufacturers own sites
worth the effort or not bother?
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Photo sharing websites

Postby photonaturally » Sun 05 May, 2013 8:49 pm

I use to use photo.net's forum if I need to ask for obscure information. When I used forums, there were many cluey people there. It has been over 5 yrs that i have used it.

If you want a camera that can survive the bush, maybe try the Pentax K-30 with the DA 18-135mm. The camera and lens are weather sealed. Not water-proof, but can take some rain and splashes.
photonaturally
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Mon 06 May, 2013 10:49 am

I have been using Google's Picasaweb for ages. It is now swallowed up into Google+ but I can still upload directly from iPhotos or Picasa on my computer.

Andrwe
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby wayno » Mon 06 May, 2013 10:53 am

you'll need a google account for picasa, they have an app you can download picasaweb fro managing and uploading your library
also gives you access to gmail with ten gig email storage
you'll get a couple of gigs of photo storage

theres also http://www.flickr.com
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 06 May, 2013 12:22 pm

Just take care. On my other computer I had photos stored using Picasa. I had to have a Google + account made up for a group I was in, and a decided to check my profile and privacy settings. For some reason there were random albums there for all the world to see which I had definitely not put there, and did not want there. I had to go and manually change the settings for each album.
I was pretty unimpressed.
I don't use Picasa on this newer computer because of Google's association with it now, I'm pretty wary, which is a shame, as I really liked it for sorting and storing photos.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Mon 06 May, 2013 1:01 pm

dont ever use a word in the dictionary for your password, they are easily hacked, programmes can literally run a dictonary at teh account to guess the password if there is no account lockout for excessive attempts
a special characters like @#$% and a digit and a capital to the password, greately reduces the chances of someone getting into your accoutn, i've been using gmail and picasa without problem for the best part of ten years...

google is better than it used to be, it warned me when my account was logged on to from a different country than normal, it was me doing teh logging on , but it flagged it straight away as a suspicious logon attempt. and notified me.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Clusterpod » Mon 06 May, 2013 1:22 pm

Dropbox
Clusterpod
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby sthughes » Mon 06 May, 2013 1:41 pm

Depends how much space you want.
Flickr & Microsoft Live are 2 options.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Mon 06 May, 2013 2:50 pm

Dropbox +1
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Mon 06 May, 2013 5:14 pm

Same boat re online so can't help with that.

I and 2 others here (at least) have an Olympus EM 5.
They are weathersealed providing you use similar lenses.

I used mine in a tropical downpour a few days ago, and as things suddenly came alive in the wet I kept clicking.
It's still functioning. I did hide it under my T'shirt though between subjects.

IMO definitely worth considering.
taswegian

Postby LandSailor » Mon 06 May, 2013 7:35 pm

wayno wrote:dont ever use a word in the dictionary for your password, they are easily hacked, programmes can literally run a dictonary at teh account to guess the password if there is no account lockout for excessive attempts
a special characters like @#$% and a digit and a capital to the password, greately reduces the chances of someone getting into your accoutn, i've been using gmail and picasa without problem for the best part of ten years...

This should probably be on another topic but I wouldnt ever consider a password alone to be secure these days no matter what it is. Too easy to drop a keyboard logger onto your desktop just by doing nothing more than visiting the wrong web site. AV software is only marginally effective at blocking this kind of thing.
Depending on the web site, if its available, you really need to turn on 2 step verification and install the Google Authenticator app on your mobile phone. All Google services as well as Dropbox have this option now.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Mon 13 May, 2013 10:42 pm

www.flickr.com will do what most people want, provided you are prepared to make some effort if you require privacy. Photos can be restricted to only display to people who are either defined as contacts as being either family or friends, but obviously they must join flickr. Display is limited to 200 photos for free subscriptions, but extras are still stored, and will appear if you later buy a paid subscription. Otherwise only restriction is receiving ads.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:17 am

LandSailor wrote:Depending on the web site, if its available, you really need to turn on 2 step verification and install the Google Authenticator app on your mobile phone. All Google services as well as Dropbox have this option now.

Didn't know Dropbox use 2 step verify, thanks for that! Been using 2 step on Google (Gmail) for a long time now, very happy with it.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:29 am

For forums photo links, I like and use Photobucket.com. For serious photography, 500px.com is the go-to site. For generic mass sharing with friends and family, Google's Picasa is good as well as Facebook.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jazz » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 5:48 pm

This thread's a bit stale now, but possibly worth bringing up again, especially seeing as Flickr no longer has their old 200 shots rule. Each user now gets something like a terabyte of space for their shots. Everything is reputedly covered by a creative commons licence (unless you make it free for all), which is more than, say, Facebook will do for you. Potentially the only serious issue with Flickr at the moment is that it's owned by Yahoo and thus at risk from this Heartbleed bug, although once they have fixed it up and you're set up with a strong password it should be just fine. I've been using it for the last six months or so and quite like the feel of it all.
Please walk on the animals, hug the grass, and talk to the trees
jazz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Trek & Travel, SYDNEY

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:24 am

A couple of things to keep in mind. Read the TOS on whatever provider you are using, to make sure they are not going to be selling your photos. Also make sure that your photos meta-data is being removed, especially if you use GPS equipped cameras, unless you want that info in the wild.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 10:25 am

Good reminder on the GPS tag removal. One question, does Flickr allow the download of full resolution file? A friend is trying to photo share some photos from a recent walk and I couldn't download any of the photos nor see a d/l option. Are we missing something?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earwig » Mon 12 May, 2014 4:09 pm

GPSGuided, It depends on what settings your friend has on their Flickr account, but the default is to allow anyone to downlaod the full res image (mainly coz if someone really wants to downlaod something you've put anywhere on the web, they will). So ...
1) Open the photo
2) Click on the three little dots on the bottom right
3) view all sizes
4) select original
5) download away
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Photography