four of "the best" travel cameras,

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

four of "the best" travel cameras,

Postby wayno » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 7:09 am

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: four of "the best" travel cameras,

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 4:47 pm

Very odd selections, although fairly typical of these kinda nothing ARTICLES...

**edited for clarity**
Last edited by nickthetasmaniac on Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 4:55 pm

"In other words, anyone shopping now can pick up a terrific, future-proof model"

later on...

"The professional’s film camera from the late 1980s remains the camera for tossing in a backpack"

:D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 8:06 am

What would people recommend for a budget level travel camera? I'm thinking very compact (pocket sized) with long zoom for wildlife shots.
Probably under $300. I thought I saw one or two Fujifilm models recently that seemed reasonable. I know that more expensive cameras are out there with consequent better performance but my requirement is based more on convenience for this trip. No point taking a bulky camera that I won't use. I already have an Olympus Pen Mini E-PM1 which I quite like, and have Hoya filters CPL, ND8 and UV for it. Only have the standard lens kit and wouldn't want to cart around the telephoto lens that I can get for it. But even that is more bulky than I want to take this time (may reconsider that if I don't find something else soon).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 8:20 am

the Sony RX100 isnt bulky, arguably the best all round camera out there for it's size, has a one inch sensor, a lot larger than other cameras its size.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby johnw » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 9:18 am

wayno wrote:the Sony RX100 isnt bulky, arguably the best all round camera out there for it's size, has a one inch sensor, a lot larger than other cameras its size.

Thanks wayno. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:38 am

icefest wrote:"The professional’s film camera from the late 1980s remains the camera for tossing in a backpack"

Have to be a masochist to want to carry a F4 when traveling. Crazy recommendation mixed with all the infomercials. :roll:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phan_TOM » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 11:55 am

wayno wrote:the Sony RX100 isnt bulky, arguably the best all round camera out there for it's size, has a one inch sensor, a lot larger than other cameras its size.

I've been using an RX100 for a few months now, mainly for when I couldn't be bothered taking my DSLR, and it's a brilliant little camera. It's nice and small and I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the IQ is, it's certainly equal to or better than my canon 40D. But it doesn't have much of a zoom, only 3.6 times (35mm equiv. of about 28-100) so it might not fit the bill, and I don't know if you'll find one for under $300?
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:09 pm

Just to be clear, my original post was referring to 'nothing articles', not Wayno's OP.
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ex_reven » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:23 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
icefest wrote:"The professional’s film camera from the late 1980s remains the camera for tossing in a backpack"

Have to be a masochist to want to carry a F4 when traveling. Crazy recommendation mixed with all the infomercials. :roll:

Agree, I owned one and as much as it was an awesome camera it is a bit like carrying a cinderblock around your neck.... and that was without the flash lol
ex_reven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Swifty » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 3:25 pm

ex_reven wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:

Agree, I owned one and as much as it was an awesome camera it is a bit like carrying a cinderblock around your neck.... and that was without the flash lol

It's not so bad. I lug around a Mamiya 6 and wouldn't give it up for anything! Of course i dont take that many photos, but enough for me! I think my pictures are better now for it - anyway, i enjoy it even if they are mostly cr@p!
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Photography