Bridge Cameras - Olympus Stylus I

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Postby Aushiker » Sun 10 Aug, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi

I am thinking of adding a DSLR or Bridge camera to my kit. Given this is mainly for bicycle touring and bushwalking and well photographing gear for my blog I am thinking a bridge camera is a nice comprise between my Panasonic Lumix FT4 which is a great waterproof compact camera and a full blown DSLR which is getting up their in terms of weight and bulk. I also have an Olympus ZX-1 which is a step up from the Panasonic but I tend to use this less and less now.

My early exploring of DPReview has me considering an Olympus Stylus 1 which at 402 grams isn't too bad but is probably a bit up their in price (entry level DSLR pricing).

Anyway I am interested in others experiences using bridge cameras and particularly if anyone has experiences with an Olympus Stylus 1. I also note that the Sony RX100 is very popular here but I would prefer a "larger" lens and whilst the Sony DSC-RX10 looks the bees-knees the price isn't, well unless I negotiate a birthday/christmas deal or wait till later in the year :)

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Bridge Cameras - Olympus Stylus I

Postby wayno » Mon 11 Aug, 2014 6:06 am

the sony's have a one inch sensor... the sylus has a smaller 1/1.7" sensor. i havent used the stylus but with a sensor that small i'd exepect the image quality and low light ability to be inferior given the overall quality of sony camera. i have the rx100, and it takes a lot of beating for a compact camera.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby icefest » Mon 11 Aug, 2014 7:43 am

I have the Lumix FT4 too, and when deciding to go down the big camera too decided to go for the Sony A7. The body weighs 470g and lenses are about that again, but it takes incredible shots!
I got it for about 1500 with kit lens, and am planning on getting a nice fisheye next.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Mon 11 Aug, 2014 3:23 pm

wayno wrote:the sony's have a one inch sensor... the sylus has a smaller 1/1.7" sensor. i havent used the stylus but with a sensor that small i'd exepect the image quality and low light ability to be inferior given the overall quality of sony camera. i have the rx100, and it takes a lot of beating for a compact camera.

Thanks for the clarification. I read that initially as 1 1/17" :oops: Now realise that is 7.6mm by 5.7mm and of course quick a bit smaller than the Sony sensors. BTW has is a sensor measured? Sony's sensor dimensions are 13.2mm x 8.8mm according to the specifications for both the RX10 and RX100

I might have to save the pennys for a RX10.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wayno » Mon 11 Aug, 2014 3:34 pm

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Aushiker » Mon 11 Aug, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks Wayno. All this talk of sensor sizes has now got me looking at four thirds cameras ... way to many options :) That said 4/3 cameras seem very popular with cycle tourists. I have check here yet to see if they get much, if any positive feedback. Price wise at least a two lens kit seems to be around $700. I am yet to investigate the weight situation but.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Chris-a » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:38 pm

Take a look at the Nikon AW1 - have just returned from 4 weeks in the outback before kayaking around the Noosa river and lakes system. Camera is rated to 15 metres underwater, dust proof and can be dropped from 2 metres. Interchangeable lens set up and support for RAW files swung my decision. Will hand the snow and rain next time we're walking the Milford Track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris-a
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:50 pm

Chris-a wrote:Take a look at the Nikon AW1 - have just returned from 4 weeks in the outback before kayaking around the Noosa river and lakes system. Camera is rated to 15 metres underwater, dust proof and can be dropped from 2 metres. Interchangeable lens set up and support for RAW files swung my decision. Will hand the snow and rain next time we're walking the Milford Track.

Thanks for the heads-up. Owning a Pansonic Ft-4, the shockproof/waterproof/dustproof features are appealing. I notice it does rank down a touch in the reviews but. e.g., http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... w1_review/. Also how do you find the lack of a physical shooting mode dial?

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Chris-a » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 8:18 pm

Once you come to terms with the menu system, pretty much everything you are after is there. I'm a long term DSLR user and the Nikon fills the gap when heading off to tackle walks like the Milford Track where all weather conditions should be expected. The camera is less ergonomic in the hand than my Pentax DSLR and I have just purchased the optional camera grip to help in that department. I will get to test it out at the weekend. The software for processing RAW files is similar to other packages I have used and relatively easy to use. There is no white balance adjustment in the camera but it is available when adjusting RAW files.

Remember, this is a camera to fill a gap. It is far more robust than anything I have used previously. It has already been knocked off a table onto a hard floor and survived. It has been taken out kayaking, survived strong winds along east coast beaches with lots of sand in the air and sub zero temperatures in outback NSW while capturing the sunrise at dawn. It also fits in the console of our 4WD meaning it is on hand for any eventualities while on the road.

Check out the untouched JPEG taken last month at Carnarvon Gorge NP on the Big Bend walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris-a
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Photography