Photography in the rain

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Photography in the rain

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 9:00 am

As we all know, rain can be magical out in the bush and the great outdoors. However, many if not most of us wrap up our camera the moment raindrops start knocking and hurry along on the track. What's your strategy in countering that response and capture those moments? Mental as well techniques and equipment? One time where a bush umbrella would be nice. I've been too 'caring and precious' of my camera gears through the years and curse myself for not venturing a bit more on those rainy days.

Came across this article and made me think... Maybe don't usually have the subjects to create that kissing scene, but...
https://iso.500px.com/10-reasons-to-sto ... -the-rain/
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Photography in the rain

Postby cajun » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:35 am

I am like you and my "good" camera goes away in a dry sack when it rains.

I have a point and shoot that I am not quite so precious with though.

How wonderful are the mages in that link! 8)
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:10 am

weather sealed camera...
or put a plastic bag over the camera with the bottom cut open so its like a plastic sleeve
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks to the iPhone (or any smartphone) these days, a quick shot can be easily taken even in the rain, with packs on etc. With 'real' camera gears, there's always that extra layer of hassle of trying to protect them from the elements whilst juggling the packs and other gears. Whilst the iPhone images are impressive these days, it's still not quite the same as a quality interchangeable lens on a dSLR or mirrorless. Sony's A7 and companion Sony-Zeiss lenses are said to be weather sealed. It's still an ouch moment to pull them out in the rain, so hardly ever done. Precious, precious! Have long considered a rugged weather/water proof compact but their IQ are generally a lot poorer and on smaller sensors.

Wayno, do you have any reluctance to pull out your RX100 in the rain? Is the RX100 weather sealed?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:39 pm

i've got a compact waterproof
my main camera is the olympus EM-5, it and its lens is weather sealed. i keep it in a normal camera case when i'm not shooting.. it got drenched the last trip, there was a foot of rain in a day, only problem was i didnt lock of the battery compartment completely, some moisture got in but didnt do any damage.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:55 pm

With all the talks on the RX100 series on this board, I thought you also had a unit. EM5 would be nice. Didn't know it's weather sealed. Olympus always have something surprising.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 2:08 pm

GPSGuided wrote:With all the talks on the RX100 series on this board, I thought you also had a unit. EM5 would be nice. Didn't know it's weather sealed. Olympus always have something surprising.

i have an rx100 for when i'm not so fussy about photo quality, or i use it for video.

for its size the em5 and pro lens is about as good as it gets in photo quality..
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 4:59 pm

cajun wrote:I am like you and my "good" camera goes away in a dry sack when it rains.

I have a point and shoot that I am not quite so precious with though.

Ditto. Trouble is I almost always forget to charge and/or pack the p&s and the GoPro. So mostly I just do without.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby farefam » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 5:56 pm

I have sometimes used my DSLR in the rain with good results however I have carried a small umbrella with me on those trips for exactly that reason (mostly the New Zealand walks). If there's no wind about and I don't have an umbrella then I try holding my wide-brimmed bush hat above the camera and lens to shelter them. The moment you get any drops on your lens though you have to dry it, as water drops produce ghastly effects that ruin your images. Worth the trouble though as sometimes you do get some nice atmosphere when it is raining.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 24 Oct, 2015 10:11 pm

The other obvious trouble is the lack of extra pair of hands when dealing with a hand full dSLR camera, lens changes and then an umbrella. Really need that assistant.

north-north-west wrote:Ditto. Trouble is I almost always forget to charge and/or pack the p&s and the GoPro. So mostly I just do without.

Not even a smartphone?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 6:53 am

GPSGuided wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Ditto. Trouble is I almost always forget to charge and/or pack the p&s and the GoPro. So mostly I just do without.

Not even a smartphone?

Phone is for essential communication only, and being an old 3S is not exactly brilliant for photography. It's kept packed away safe and dry until needed.
Only time I've used it as a primary camera is after the last Canon got drowned - ie, the firebombing trip.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 7:14 am

north-north-west wrote:Only time I've used it as a primary camera is after the last Canon got drowned - ie, the firebombing trip.

A true emergency phone/camera!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Unlearn » Fri 30 Oct, 2015 10:57 am

G'day guys, pretty much my first post here, but I thought i'd add a few of my experiences, since I've shot in all kinds of climates and weather..

These days camera sealing is really good, and I mostly don't hesitate to shoot in the rain if required. I've even had waves break on to my camera (Nikon D800e's) and survived. If its raining heavy, like in the first pic here (although you can't see it) where it was rain and hail I put on a rain cover, but these things make it hard to operate the camera, especially at night. In the two storm pics below, it rained hard, and I used a rain cover and held a little board out from the top of the front element of the lens to try and keep drops of the glass, it really sucks trying to wipe down the front of a lens in the rain. The big thing for me, is after the camera got wet to wipe it dry at the first opportunity, and when you get a chance, to clean it thoroughly.

Snow is even harder to manage, because in the colder climates the snow just floats about, rather than falling solidly down, using the lens hood helps a lot, but you tend to end up with a small pile of snow inside the lens hood, so I found myself periodically brushing it out. Even harder to manage, is waterfall mist in cold climates, because it would land on the front of your lens and freeze on to it, and when you try to wipe it off you just wipe the ice around the front of your lens, its a real pain.

On the flip side, if I knew the weather sealing wasn't great on a particular camera I've gotten away with having a small umbrella with me and holding it above the camera.

Umbrella's are especially useful at waterfalls also, because you can set up and place your camera where you want it while holding the umbrella in front of the camera to stop the spray, then you just lift it to take the shot, wipe down the lens, and repeat. For obvious reasons I wouldn't use an umbrella in a storm!

Andrew
Attachments
APT_6829-Edit-Edit-Edit-2-Edit-2.jpg
APT_6639-Edit.jpg
_DSC9236---Copy.jpg
APT_7603-Edit---Copy.jpg
_APT9906-Edit---Copy.jpg
FB_IMG_1446167454323.jpg
Unlearn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: N/A

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 30 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Wow, fantastic images! Hard and dedicated work they must have been.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 30 Oct, 2015 3:00 pm

all of a sudden, my photography feels inadequate
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 1:38 pm

Incredible photos Unlearn. Thanks for sharing. Please post more often.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Unlearn » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:53 am

Appreciate it guys! I'm guilty of doing too much lurking so i'll try and be a bit more useful around here..

Andrew
Unlearn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cajun » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 11:28 am

Beautiful shots there Andrew. I'm with Wayno - my delusions of adequacy have just taken a hit ...
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 1:10 pm

wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Unlearn » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 9:32 am

Haha, thanks again guys, appreciate it!
Unlearn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chris-a » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:00 pm

I was one who was reluctant to expose my DSLR to the elements be it dust, sand or rain and searched for ages to find an acceptable solution. Ended up buying a Nikon AW1 and have no problems using it in any manner of conditions. Just back from walking the Queen Charlotte Track in NZ including two days of heavy rain. It's the only interchangeable lens camera (that I know of) that is rated to 15 metres underwater and can survive a drop from 2 metres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris-a
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 5:30 am

Chris-a wrote: It's the only interchangeable lens camera (that I know of) that is rated to 15 metres underwater and can survive a drop from 2 metres.

You've never heard of Nikonos, have you? Fully manual film cameras, of course, and they don't make them any more, but gee they were good cameras for their time.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 6:04 am

It is.. It's the new Nikonos.. of sorts. Great little camera, only middling for features but features of modern digital cameras are well enough for the needs of most. Unfortunately it was tempting to keep the thing around neck in all conditions with less care and I inevitably dropped mine on it's lens end :(

Get some funny looks passing people with an SLR around neck in pouring rain..
The Nikon 1 lenses (that also fit but aren't waterproof), there are some real gems among them. The 300 (800mm) lens is great fun :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 8:44 am

AW1 certainly is the designated replacement for the legendary Nikono series. Had a look at the options but weren't impressed with the waterproof 30-74mm (equivalent) kit lens. For the outdoors and underwater, I'd think one really needs something significantly wider than the 30mm it gives. Thoughts?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 8:57 am

The wider WP lens is prime 10mm (27mm) and the Nikon 1 wide zoom starts at 6.7mm. It's still really a 'kit' system with compromises.
The zoom is an adequate kit lens, not anything special at either end but compromised in size I guess. Iv'e not drilled into the quality other than a visual comparison with (edit: DXSLR) I think most people would be satisfied unless making large prints maybe. The handling is noticeably fast and simple. Fast accurate focus (even if the lenses are a bit slower- size and weight again?).
Last edited by Nuts on Tue 01 Dec, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 9:03 am

Fast and accurate focus are nice when one is taking photos in water or in the wet. That's a plus.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 9:15 am

They obviously start to hunt a bit in low light with the slower lenses. To me the most attractive point was access to the Nikon 1. There's a couple of faster primes lenses that reviews favour but the tele and wide zooms are great.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 11:58 am

To Unlearn: Where on earth did you take the first two of your wonderful shots that we're all envious of?
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm

It started me thinking about days I'd shot in the rain. Here, at Cascades du Herisson in France, it was a blessing with the rivers running a bunker and the rain also dampened the ripples in the water on Lac du Val where the boats were photographed.
It helped a great deal having my tripod.
Hope you enjoy
Attachments
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson - L'Eventail (12).jpg
Cascades du Herisson
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson - L'Eventail (12).jpg (317.21 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
France 2013 - Lac du Val (22) (800x530).jpg
Lac du Val
France 2013 - Lac du Val (22) (800x530).jpg (403.67 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson - La Tuffiere (2).jpg
La Tuffiere
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson - La Tuffiere (2).jpg (371.03 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 182 (640x424).jpg
Downstream
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 182 (640x424).jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 153 (640x424).jpg
More of the river
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 153 (640x424).jpg (275.83 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 235 (800x530).jpg
Time out for a bite
France 2013 - days 22,23,24 Cascades du Herisson 235 (800x530).jpg (376.41 KiB) Viewed 56886 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Unlearn » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 2:24 pm

So sorry for the late reply iandsmith! The first two were we within a kilometer or so of each other in Kiama Downs, the first at a place called Bombo Quarry, with the second Cathedral Rocks, it's a pretty amazing piece of coast line. Those are some fantastic images you've posted also..

Those AW1 cameras look to be the goods, when I first saw them I was pretty stunned to see they were detachable lens cameras! I hope the extend on the lens line up, I think it's a real niche market they're on to.
Unlearn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Photography