Canon PowerShot G9 X camera

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Canon PowerShot G9 X camera

Postby BarryK » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 12:06 pm

This is a compact camera. I bought it yesterday from The Good Guys, on sale until October 2nd, price $549.

i was wondering if anyone else who monitors this forum, has one of these.

Reviews:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-point-and-shoot-under-500/
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/compact-digital-cameras/1404460/canon-g9-x-review-all-the-right-ingredients

It is very small, apparently the smallest camera with a 1 inch CMOS sensor. The low-light sensitivity is probably the main reason that I bought it.

Oh yeah, a photo:

A video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9bwaXxYkg&feature=youtu.be

Another important factor for me is that it has to fit in with my charging setup. I have a mains-usb charger and a small solar panel for usb charging.
The G9X has a micro-USB socket, for communication with a PC and also for charging. It even has a HDMI socket.

I have become accustomed to pressing anywhere on my phone screen, to make the phone camera auto-focus at the point in the image.
The G9X also has a touch screen, with that same feature, called "touch focus". The G9X goes one further, with "touch shutter" -- you touch anywhere on the screen and it focuses at that point and takes the photo.
So yeah, the touch screen is another major reason why I bought this camera.

What I need now is a small bag to protect it while in my backpack or wherever. Maybe neoprene?
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Canon PowerShot G9 X camera

Postby BarryK » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 12:18 pm

Another video, review, shows how small it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNVGUm-YAk
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 12:35 pm

i've got the g1x, had a bigger 1.5 inch sensor, great quality photos. but crap macro and slow as a wet week focusing and taking shots, useless for action shots, good for scenic shots
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby GerryDuke » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 8:12 pm

I have a G1X as well Wayno. As you say it is a bit clunky. I think it was marketed as a landscape camera. Takes superb landscape images. It died on me when I went on a fishing trip. I still wanted a mirrorless compact camera for bush walking so I purchased a G1X Mark II. The difference between the two is quite amazing. The new one opens up to F2. It is perfect for auroras. Also has wifi and touch screen. Also much better macro.

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site
Region: Tasmania

Postby BarryK » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 10:28 am

GerryDuke wrote:I have a G1X as well Wayno. As you say it is a bit clunky. I think it was marketed as a landscape camera. Takes superb landscape images. It died on me when I went on a fishing trip. I still wanted a mirrorless compact camera for bush walking so I purchased a G1X Mark II. The difference between the two is quite amazing. The new one opens up to F2. It is perfect for auroras. Also has wifi and touch screen. Also much better macro.

Gerry

I was curious, looked up the CMOS sensor size of the G1X Mark II, it is 18.7x14.0mm.

The G9X sensor is designated as "1 inch", which is 15.86x13.2mm. 20 mega-pixel.

Interesting difference in weight. The G1X Mark II is 558g, the G9X is 209g (209g including battery).

The G9X also has a f2.0 lense, only does 3x optical zoom, compared with 5x for G1X Mark II.

As I understand it, to make the case smaller, yet have a large sensor, restricts the optical zoom. So, for the G9X that is the tradeoff.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Photography