Matrix Mode

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Matrix Mode

Postby walkinTas » Wed 06 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm

Nice shot David!

Tell me about "Matrix Mode". Why did you choose these settings ?

(image from http://www.david-noble.net/Tasmania/WesternArthurs08/WesternArthursMenu.html)
Attachments
Matrix2.jpg
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 07 Feb, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Matrix Mode

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 06 Feb, 2008 10:55 pm

I could not quite see the exif data in the pic - so had to look up the original. It was taken at 800 ISO - only because i had the camera set at that from the night before. And i was also shooting video - and i ken the light was not going to last too long - so better get some photos quick. So i didn't worry too much about settings.

The only thing that is important is the -1. So it is underexposed 1 stop. Fr these sort of photos i often bracket a bit - and typically the best ones are -1/3 or -2/3 stops under. This one looked good at - 1 - so there it is. Often the sun dominates the exposure - so you need to dilute its effect a bit.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 06 Feb, 2008 11:14 pm

DaveNoble wrote:I could not quite see the exif data in the pic - so had to look up the original.

If you click on the attached screen print the text is a bit easier to read. I reduced it to abide by the 800 wide forum rule. :(

Thanks David. I will have a play with underexposing next time I see an unmissable sunrise. :D
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 6:45 am

Just to explain the matrix, its the form of exposure metering which allows the camera to expose the whole shot properly. Much more important in digital than on film as film exposure is subject to the developers ability as much as the photographer in some ways.

Matrix allows the camera to expose the whole shot. Previous to this the camera just metered the light to be around 18% grey. With Matrix you are now able (sometimes) to expose properly in challenging scenes such as snow or beach where the camera gets (or got) confused by the abundance of light colours and high contrast. If you are unsure of what to use stick with matrix (it has a cool name that will make you think bullet time anyway!) otherwise experiment with spot metering for some different results.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:02 am

walkinTas wrote:I reduced it to abide by the 800 wide forum rule.

Note that when using attachments, the forums will automatically display a thumbmail of maximum 800 wide. Therefore you don't need to reduce it for attachments (only for the usual embedded images). This way, people can click on the thumbnail and see the full size image, and be it on their own head if it takes too long to download. Just be careful not to upload anything too huge, or you'll run over the attachment quota.

I'll go an update the rules, to make this clearler. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby walkinTas » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 1:30 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
walkinTas wrote:I reduced it to abide by the 800 wide forum rule.

Note that when using attachments, the forums will automatically display a thumbmail of maximum 800 wide. Therefore you don't need to reduce it for attachments (only for the usual embedded images). This way, people can click on the thumbnail and see the full size image, and be it on their own head if it takes too long to download. Just be careful not to upload anything too huge, or you'll run over the attachment quota.

Thanks! I reposted the attachment. The text is now easier to read (maybe) and if you click the attachment you'll be able to +up to a slightly larger uncompressed version.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Photography