Lightweight Tripod

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Lightweight Tripod

Postby scockburn » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi all , am off to do the Overland track in early April and want to take purchase a good light weight Tripod . Saw the difference it made in Tasadam's photos and am keen to improve my pics quality. Any suggestions appreciated. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lightweight Tripod

Postby Joe » Fri 15 Feb, 2008 6:48 am

for ultra lightweight you cant go past the gorillapod. We sell heaps of them at work. Im a big fan. Will be getting myself the SLRzoom one at some stage when i work out how to justify another purchase to shmbo.

If you want full size then the Manfroto Modo is the absolute best lightweight tripod for full size gear at moment imho. Its ballhead is more technical than my whole tripod. Its pretty reasonably priced for manfrotto gear too.

The thing with tripods is that more weight gives you a more stable platform. However I use a slik sprint pro for my everyday tripod and its perfect compromise. It has a small light ballhead, but its rated to hold more than enough for all of my gear. You can go a lot bigger but check the weight ratings, mostly the bigger gear is for holding big-arse professional gear.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Fri 15 Feb, 2008 7:43 am

I was going to get into a detailed reply here. But it's all been said before.

OK Start by reading these -

http://www.digitalcamera.com.au/tutoria ... ndex.shtml
(Take note of the paragraph - THE PERFECT TRIPOD:)

http://www.nikonians.org/tripods/

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

http://photo.net/equipment/tripods/
And the link http://photo.net/equipment/tripods/philg
(And while you're there, check http://photo.net/equipment/?id=general )

I like to take everything this guy says with a grain of salt, but you may find something useful out of http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tripods.htm

Now come back to this discussion. Ask yourself some questions, in no particular order.
How much do you want to spend?
How tall are you? And do you mind bending over a bit?
How much weight does the tripod have to support?
Do you have any lenses that support Macro?
How much weight do you want to carry?
How often do you think you will use a tripod on an extended walk? (issue - ease of use)

Trying to be brief (with a warning - I'm not so good at it), I will try and address the questions as I saw them.
I am not rich, so I could not afford one of these, as much as I would love one. [EDIT About $4000]
But I am a fan of the Gitzo carbon fibre ones as mentioned in some of the articles linked.
Problem is that even the Gitzo carbon fibre ones didn't fit our budget when we were tripod shopping.
I wanted a full height tripod that was versatile enough to get down low.
I wanted the whole thing to be as light as possible but realised that it was not possible to reduce the weight too much before entering the realms of either the flimsy or the unaffordable, so weight is always a compromise.
I wanted something that I didn't have to fiddle with too much - easy to extend the legs, solid, and something that packs up into a small enough package to fit in my pack the way my old Aluminium Velbon did as seen in this pic...

No discussion here yet about the tripod head. Again, a very important part of the package. We wanted something that supported a locking plate so we could keep a plate on the base of each camera body and attach the camera to the tripod quickly and easily, and solidly.

So what I ended up with is a Benro tripod and ball head.
Here is my tripod http://www.hkcarris.com/product_info.php?cPath=75_77&products_id=238
[EDIT Dead link because my Benro M-128n6 has been superseded by this ]
I chose the 4 column model so it's packed length is shorter.
Here is my ballhead http://www.hkcarris.com/product_info.php?cPath=75_79&products_id=190
[EDIT dead link, do a search for Benro KB-1 ]

Then we bought another tripod specifically for macro work, because we do a fair bit, and the Benro is too slow and tedious (ok, I'm too lazy) to invert the centre column all the time. Mind you, the Benro legs do fold all the way out to horizontal, so it is quite usable as it is, just that the Macro tripod is so much better at it. And it gives us a tripod each... the macro tripod can extend to about 400mm plus the height of the ballhead.
Here it is http://www.kirkphoto.com/MightyLowBoy.html
It's a little ripper. You can get the camera down nice and low with this. The centre column is also inversible, and a whole lot easier than on the Benro. It also comes with a plate without the centre column, which is what we use. We also got another Benro KB-1 ballhead for this tripod.

As you can see from the specs, the option of the Benro still comes in at not much under 2kg, which is a fair bit for an extended walk. But when we carry two camera bodies and 5 lenses on an extended walk, we want to get the most out of it, so that's what's important to us.
The price as advertised by Benro is 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Gitzo, well there is a quality difference there too. Be aware of that. They are not perfect, but they are good enough for me. Until I can afford a Gitzo, anyway.

Your needs may be different, I just wanted to explain as best I could my view on it along with the links that helped me - good luck in finding something that suits your requirements.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby scockburn » Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:18 pm

Whow , what great advice and replies. Many thanks SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:29 pm

scockburn wrote:Whow , what great advice and replies. Many thanks SC

We would be interested to know what you decide on, and how it goes for you.
Enjoy!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby waldgeist » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 7:09 pm

the manfrotto 715b/714b can hold up to 2.5kg, it is a bit more expensive and slightly heavier than the modo: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/man ... 68&child=2
waldgeist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 04 May, 2008 11:18 am

Sock- I see you were off on early April to do the walk, so I suppose you/ve done it now, but for future reference there's a company in the US that makes walking poles with a removable grip that can be used as a monopod- maybe the answer for future trips.

Are we going to see some pics?
the_camera_poser

Postby tas-man » Tue 06 May, 2008 7:38 am

Check out the photos of my LEKI monopod with ball head in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=464
I have found it a good compromise on long trips as a combination treking pole, monopod, and hutchie pole for pitching my ground sheet as a lunch break shelter in wet weather. As a monopod, I can generally plant the pole into the ground to give sufficient stability to take a photo using the self timer to minimise any movement. In windy conditions I just use the monopod plus my two legs to make the tripod!
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 3:13 pm

Well now I've done it.
Gone and bought this Gitzo tripod.
Good prices from this site.
Needed a new head to go with it. After much looking, I bought one of these, and a plate to match.
All up still under 2 kilograms so some might say that doesn't fit "light weight". But it is as light as I can get it and still have the stability I desire.
Will let you know how it goes once it arrives and has been field tested.

Well, at least it made my hip pocket light weight... :roll:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby walkinTas » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 3:30 pm

I just love that Acratech head. Been dreaming about one for a while. You'll have to write us a review when you've had some play time.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Buddy » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 5:10 pm

Recently imported an Acratech Ultimate head to fit to my Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod.Inclusive of a dedicated quick release plate to suit my MF camera and freight it came to $377 USD. It is a lovely bit of gear and substantialy lighter than the Manfrotto ballhead that I had worn out. Good to 25kg.!
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 30 Jan, 2010 1:46 pm

So how are you liking your Acratech ultimate?
I'm pretty impressed with the GV2....
My tripod has been serving me well too, it's been on a couple of multi day walks including the SW Cape walk I did.

Though, for the price, it should be serving me well too!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Gitzo Lightweight Tripod

Postby rwfox » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Adam

I have been reading that you have bought a Gitzo tripod recently.
I am in the process of buying a lightweight tripod. The general feed back from the web is that Gitzo are really good brand coupled with a Markins Q3 ball head (385g). I was looking at the GT2541 but it weighs 1.36 kg compared to the GT 1541 weighs 1.12kg. I hope to end up with a Nikon fx camera etc setup, that will also be heavy. Have you got an opinion on these two models as the best light weight tripod for the job?. (I don't think I can get the wife to carry any more unless its chocolate coated!).

Cheers Roy
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 6:41 pm

G'day Roy.
As you probably saw, I bought a Gitzo GT2542L. Pretty high, but sometimes needed for what I do. Also more heavy than others you have listed, so you're already looking more lightweight than me.
I really like the low set option on it too.
I bought an Acratech ballhead. I read plenty of posts about the Markins as well, but when I looked into it I found the Acratech suited my needs better. Easy to keep clean, no grease or oil for dirt to stick to...
There are heaps of Gitzo tripods available, which one suits your needs will really come down to you.
They have an Ocean Traveller, waterproof but pretty expensive.
Less weight will usually mean less stability, to a point. What you need to do is work out where the sweet spot is for you - how much you want to spend, how versatile you want it, how solid you want it, and also the weight / how much you are prepared to carry. Also weigh up each of these factors on a scale to see which are most important. Then pick the one that gives you the best that you're looking for.
What you are going to be doing with the tripod will also be a factor. Dragging it through mud, or keeping it close to the back seat of the car.

Others might have some answers for you as well. Good luck!
Adam.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby photohiker » Tue 09 Feb, 2010 10:31 pm

I too think it comes down to what suits you rather than a generic 'whats best' formula.

Looking at the mentioned tripods, 2541, 1541 and 2542L, I think Adam has the pick due to the extra height for the small extra weight penalty over the 2541. If you look up the weight loading, the 2541 and 2542L are 12Kg vs the 1541's 8Kg, which should give you an idea about the relative stability. What the tables don't show is how secure the tripod is in use - the lightest 4-section legs are quite flexible due to the final leg section being pretty small diameter. I bought a Gitzo in HK a while back, and it was most instructive to go to a shop that had every model on display for back to back comparison, not something you can do in Australia that I've seen. With the Tripod set up, I would push down on the top and twist - if I didn't feel significant resistance the pod got rejected. I landed up with a 3 section 1127 (no longer made) but it suits my needs for transportability and stability, not as high as Adams by a long chalk though.

With mods (I removed the centre column), and the Markins Q3 it runs 1.6kg - couldn't be happier with the Q3, it's a little beauty. No issues with dust or sand or lubrication, and I've had it everywhere from the beach to the middle of the outback, even dropped it into a waterfall once with no lasting ill effects (it was me or the tripod, luckily no camera attached at the time). I haven't seen an Acratech, but I'd trust Adams judgement and there are good reviews on the web in any case. Like all this gear, you really need to handle it before buying it, which is sadly impossible unless you strike someone who has already got one, it just isn't in any Aussie shop.

The only criticism I've heard of the Markins is that the pan lock screw isn't positive enough. Yes, with it 'locked' you can overcome the lock and rotate the head (it's stiff, but you can do it). Not an issue for me, but others find it a problem.

At home I have one of the larger Manfrotto tripods in aluminium. It is more stable than my Gitzo, but its about 3 times the weight. No way I'm carrying that more than a couple of hundred metres.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 9:42 am

Great post Michael.
A quick note on the smaller legs of the 4 section pod is that if stability is an issue for a particular shot and you don't need the extra height, you can extend the other legs and leave the smallest (lowest) section retracted.
I'm 178cm and if on a flat floor I extend the tripod legs to full height it is just a bit too tall for me. Put the centre column up and you need a step ladder... The leg height comes in handy in the field though, because quite often the ground won't be flat, a leg or two will be down lower, so the height is good.

To test stability I have loaded my tripod with about two thirds my bodyweight without sag or cracking... :shock:
I've never really had any stability problems with it, the only problem sometimes encountered is in windy conditions things can vibrate a bit, not much can be done about that from what I've found because it doesn't seem to be the tripod doing it.

When I did the SW Cape cct in November I removed the centre column and used the tripod with the "low set" option. I knew it could be done, but having picked up the tripod from the freight and strapping it straight on to the pack for its first walk, I never got back to the instructions...
I figured it out though.

After a field trip such as that one, full disassembly of the tripod to clean, take the sand out of the locking threads, dry the inside of the legs, etc is a good idea.

By the way, does anyone know what grease should be used on the locking threads in the leg sections of a Gitzo? I don't know whether something like vaseline might be harmful. Gitzo sell the real stuff, haven't done a search for it yet.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tasadam » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:04 am

Well, just searched for the Gitzo maintenance threads to see if I can find the grease...
This page and This page both have the older style locking system, but it is similar and the tips are relevant.
Gitzo grease is available if you want the real product. I think from reading, it is mainly designed for the new "Ocean Traveller" tripod, which they claim is waterproof.
Other pages here and here have people suggesting any grease, lithium grease, normal car grease, and some specific Castrol grease.
So at a hunch I guess it wouldn't matter, perhaps vaseline would be ok.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby rwfox » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks Adam & Michael
Having put several cans of beans a tin salmon and a box of red heads on the kitchen scales, I realise a lightweight tripod is not so light, compared i.e. to a tent. However, the GT1541 + Q3 = 1.5kg, GT2541 + Q3 = 1.75kg and GT2542L + Q3 = 1.82kg. If a Acratech V2 ball head add 65g. You both mention that you can use the tripod without the centre column. Do you know how much weight is saved by not using it. As Michael points out the lower legs sections are quite small on the GT1541 therefore it may be prudent to go for the 2 series and remove the column for backpacking. With the extra height of the GT2542L (151cm without column) as you have Adam. It would make a huge difference if you could physically compare them, as they all look similar on the web. Do you known what an L bracket is used for?

Roy :)
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby photohiker » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 4:56 pm

Roy,

I didn't weigh the tripod before/after centre column removal. Mine was a permanent column, so I bought one of these - I suspect it weighs slightly less, cannot remember (sorry) - the removed parts weigh 150g and the Kirk part is quoted at 4.9oz - 139g, don't know if that includes the packing and tool. The benefit for me was in getting lower and removing one of the flex points of the tripod. On Adam's tripod, you'd probably save the weight of the post, maybe he could weigh it?

An L Bracket is a tripod plate that allows you to mount the camera horizontally or vertically without altering the ball head - it puts a mounting point on the side of the camera as well as the bottom.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sun 14 Feb, 2010 9:02 am

Just weighed my GT2542L and Acratech head together = 1915 grams. Only other weight is the plate that is mounted to the bottom of the camera.
Some may find that excessive, I find it necessary if I am going to achieve things like this.
I don't know how much the centre column weighs, but it isn't much. The tripod head plus the centre column plus the plate with threaded post to join the centre column to the head (the bit similar to that shown in the link from Michael), weighs 629 grams. I am not sure where my tripod bag is right now, and I need it to get the allen key needed to separate the centre column from the head if I am to weigh the pieces precisely, I don't think it's worth it. Take the pole if you think you can use its extra height, remove the pole if you want to extend the legs at right angles to get the camera as close to the ground as possible.
Something else to consider re centre pole, a feature I sometimes use, is that you can turn it upside down in the tripod, mounting the camera upside down between the legs. Then with the correct leg adjustment, you can literally lower your camera down to be touching the ground. Without Live View, it's pretty hard to look thru to see what you're taking a photo of though, let alone what you are focussing on.
It's a great feature for things like Orchids and other little flowers.

I've never used an L plate, never needed one. Extra weight for something that can be achieved another way.
Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby rwfox » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for your feed back its been very useful. I'm leaning toward the GT2541 for size, stability and weight. Each model is always just a few grams more! I have been searching the web for the best deal on the tripod, (but there is limited choice on the Q3). As I have family coming from England at Easter, I need to compare Tripod + VAT but no postage, to Tripod without tax but freight (USA). Plus predicting our exchange rate, will it go back over US90c in the next few weeks? Its all part of the fun :D

Roy
Last edited by rwfox on Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rwfox » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm

I ended up buying the GT2542L new on ebay. I also bought the Makins Q3 traveler ball head by mistake. But a lucky mistake it seems very good. I haven't received the camera plate as yet to try it out. As a matter of interest I did weigh the centre coloum and it was 122g removed, so not much of a saving. Both are significantly bigger in the flesh than I had gauged from the pictures. As my wife pointed out didn't you check the measurements? So I think it will mainly be used for day walks or from a base camp. However, I cannot fault the quality of either the Gitzo tripod or the Markins Q3. :D
Last edited by rwfox on Sun 11 Apr, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 7:41 pm

rwfox wrote:I ended up buying the GT252L new on ebay. I also bought the Makins Q3 traveler ball head by mistake. But a lucky mistake it seems very good. I haven't received the camera plate as yet to try it out. As a matter of interest I did weigh the centre coloum and it was 122g removed, so not much of a saving. Both are significantly bigger in the flesh than I had gauged from the pictures. As my wife pointed out didn't you check the measurements? So I think it will mainly be used for day walks or from a base camp. However, I cannot fault the quality of either the Gitzo tripod or the Markins Q3. :D

Do you mean the 2542L?
Well done! How much did you get it for?
It's not just the overall size, it's the stability as well. I am really impressed with mine.
The centre column is good to remove if you want to get as close as possible to the ground.
You need to check the centre column is tight now and then, otherwise things might wobble a little.
I often extend the centre column by the width of my hand because it is a good balance point to carry the gear by.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby rwfox » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 4:30 pm

Between you and me I paid US$599 + $40 postage for the Gitzo GT2542L (from ebay seller 7windsfashions)
and US$245 + free postage for the Q3T. The 2542L from B&H today have a $40 discount on there prices but it is still $724.90 -$40 + $63 postage (US$747). This ebay seller 7windsfashions seems to get hold of a range of new Gitzo tripods. I did bid on a 2541 and missed out. However, I should point out that this seller was very good, I could not fault her service.
Roy
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rwfox » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 1:11 pm

Do you guys leave your ball heads on your tripods or do you carry them separately? If you leave them on, do you use a locktite product on the tripod thread? Would this cause issues if you want to remove it on a regular basis?
When using my Q3T ball head with the panning knob locked, it turns/unscrews on the tripod thread?
Any suggestions? :wink:
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby photohiker » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 3:13 pm

Never had that problem.

I tighten the head firmly onto the thread and leave it there. I know there are various grades of loctite, some are like cement, so make sure you pick the right one.

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 7:50 pm

My Acratech head stays on my GT2542L tripod. The plate on the pod has a hex screw on the underside, which locks the head in place once it's screwed on.
I wouldn't go near it with Locktite.
I have taken the centre pole out and just use the tripod in "ground level set" now. I always carry the centre pole, and the allen key and other tools needed.
I keep the pod in a bag strapped to the outside of the pack. The bag is pretty solid. Though I would like to make something as durable / protective, but lighter in weight.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby rwfox » Tue 11 May, 2010 3:01 pm

I have located the small grub screw on the underside of the mounting plate. It seems to be set in a red sealant most probably to stop it being lost during transport. That screw will make the ball attachment simple.
I also have been planning to make a bag for the tripod, possibly from 100D nylon and closed cell foam. But I am still thinking about the design and function
:wink: .
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Robatman » Wed 12 May, 2010 9:34 am

rwfox wrote: and US$245 + free postage for the Q3T. Roy

Where did you get the Markins from? checked the seller you mentioned and didnt see any camera gear,

Thanks
Robert
Robatman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rwfox » Wed 12 May, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Robert
I forgot to mention were I bought the Markins Q3T. It was from the Korean seller bandy1999. ( http://myworld.ebay.com.au/bandy1999.) They have buy it now or make an offer. Just read the feedback from other buyers to determine what offers have been excepted. I notice someone else paid only US$240 for one. The Q3T does not come with a camera plate, so you will need one for your model DSLR. :wink: I got the tripod from the other seller, the most unlikely person to be selling Gitzo tripods. :o
Roy
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to Photography