Falling Mtn and Mt Emmett advice

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Falling Mtn and Mt Emmett advice

Postby ollster » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 2:00 pm

Doing a Overland trip next week, and I intending to tick Falling and Emmett off the list.

Anyone got any advice about getting up Falling Mountain? From what I've read there is access via Du Cane gap, but I assume it's "choose your own path" after that.

Also - anyone been up Mt Emmett. That's another I intend to do, if conditions permit. From above it looks like a quick jaunt across the plains... :-)
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Re: Falling Mtn and Mt Emmett advice

Postby ollster » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 2:09 pm

Sorry, meant to post this under the Overland Track section... :#)
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:27 pm

G'day Ollster - can't get away from you guys; I'm tentatively (weather dependent) looking at doing the Du Cane traverse that week (from Du Cane gap to Falling Mtn, Massif through the Labyrinth to The Guardians & down to Horizontal Hill, Lake Marion & back to Narcissus) - no doubt see you on top of Falling Mtn :wink:

The Chapman guide - Cradle Mountain & Walls of Jerusalem National Parks has track notes on accessing Falling Mtn (look at the 'other routes' section - Du Cane Traverse), pretty much off track tho, as with most walks in this area I'm sure there'd be a pad of some sort. Also The Abels for track notes on this one.

I did Emmett last summer - it's pretty straight forward: take the Lake Rodway track (left off the O'land track just below Benson Peak) & keep going straight ahead at the turn off (ie. off track, a slight pad from memory). Sidle left around the first mound & drop into a saddle (some minor scrub bashing here). Then onto the massive boulder pile which is Emmett; the summit being the further of the two high points. No water out this way when I was there in summer, so carry what you need with you. A very different view of the Reserve compared to other peaks of the area. Also saw a pair of Wedge Tailed eagles out this way
I think maybe only a couple hours return for this one? (I did Barn Bluff & Emmett return from Dove Lake in 8 hours, at pace, as an indicator).

Catch ya round, have a good trip - fingers crossed for the weather, looking a little grim for the Saturday & Sunday

http://eldersweather.com.au/raindates.jsp?lc=t05

Later.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:45 pm

Hmmn, why am I not surprised? Thanks Stu. Yeah Emmett looks pretty "straight up and down" from the wonderful heights of the google satellite...

I see what you mean about the long range forecast. That's a bugger, as I was expecting to have a crack at Falling (so to speak) on the Sunday, as we're walking out on the Monday.

It's going to be a "girlfriendly walk" on the Overland so I expect that Falling will be the only bit of "jolly good fun" for the trip (if conditions permit).
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 3:58 pm

This time the Ollster will not trip over a tree root and stuff his ankle on the first day of the walk.... 8)
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Pedro » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 6:40 pm

Have a look at:

http://mchugh.gallery.netspace.net.au/D ... uit?page=1

for a few relevant pics of access to Falling Mountain. Chapman is quite accurate for this climb.

There is a small open plain a short distance (probably only 100 or so metres) south of Du Cane Gap. Cross that (good camping on the low knoll in the middle of the plain) and head into the scrub. The scrub is thick - not good territory for shorts or short sleeved shirts. Aim for the southern end of the cliffs near the more recent cliff collapse that gives the peak its name. Getting there takes about an hour of intense scrub bashing. Hard against the cliffs, there is a steep ramp heading to the north. Once on this, there is the occasional cairn to confirm that you are heading the right way. The top is the usual dolerite boulder field , with a few open areas on the very top. Took us about two and a half hours to get to the summit, but we were carrying full packs for the Du Cane traverse.

For anyone planning the Du Cane traverse, note that Chapmans book describes a southern route to get around the bluffs just before Massif. This is not the way to go (John notes this on his website) - from the base of bluff, head around to the north. The odd cairn shows a way into the obvious gully which is very straight forward - no pack hauling required. Its a big day from Du Cane Gap to the delightful campsite on massif - took us old blokes over eight hours and that is about five hours of boulder scrambling with full packs from Falling Mountain. All good fun with stunning views to the north and south.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ollster » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 7:03 pm

Wow, thanks Pedro.

I had found those pics of the Du Cane traverse - very nice. A question for future reference, how did you find the trip over Massif and down into Big Gun? It looks like it might be "challenging".
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pedro » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:19 pm

The rock bridge (as described by Chapman) and the ledge leading to it look great, but there is no real exposure and so they are quite a pleasant little exercise. The drop down to Big Gunn is steep, but not difficult - boulders and pineapple grass. Once in Big Gunn, its cairned to the top and then the way over to the Mt Geryon track is fairly obvious. Big Gunn is a good day walk from the Labyrinth - great stuff at fagus time.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 8:26 pm

ollster wrote:
It's going to be a "girlfriendly walk" on the Overland so I expect that Falling will be the only bit of "jolly good fun" for the trip (if conditions permit).

And what the heck does that mean???? :evil:
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ollster » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 6:53 am

Devon Annie wrote:And what the heck does that mean???? :evil:

Heh, I was worried someone might take that the wrong way... I was trying to combine "girlfriend" and "friendly" and be all clever and stuff... and it probably came out a bit wrong.

My GF (and a couple of other GFs on the walk) is not an experienced bushwalker, and so the itinerary is quite "kind", whereas if it was our regular "core group" of walkers we'd probably be putting in 7-10hr days.

No disrespect meant. :-)
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:41 pm

Fair enough, I didn't interpret the "girlfriend"ly bit very well. It's good not to overdo it with walkers not used to it, I remember a less experienced/fit girl joining the group I regularly walked with years ago and we didn't consider her at all. She did not appreciate the 30km day walk!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stu » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:11 am

A few photos from our Du Cane traverse last weekend - a fantastic trip (apart from the hideous new Windy Ridge hut - and I work in an architects office, didn't rate it aesthetically or functionally!).
We walked to Windy Ridge the afternoon of day 1 (late ferry).
Day 2 was BIG - from Windy Ridge to Lake Elysia - the windswept snowy tundra that was the Massif bowl didn't look so appealing & we got there by 2:30 or so, so after an hour of looking around & refuelling we continued on in fantastic walking conditions.
Day 3 we continued to The Guardians with the intention of descending to Horizontal Hill - we were buggered by then & the descent looked kinda sketchy with snow & ice, so back across The Guardians & down to Pine Valley for the night (would have been nice to leave the packs at The Parthenon rather than haul them all the way up & all the way back). This was also a BIG day & we were pretty exhausted by the time we got to Pine Valley.
Day 4 walked to Narcissus for the early ferry & a big cooked brekkie at Cynthia Bay.
This walk has some of the best all round views in the Reserve & is highly recommended - it is a sweat fest tho. :D
Thank's to Pedro for the heads up on the right hand route under the cliffs below Massif, i.e. not Chapmans left hand route.
Stu.
Attachments
Range.JPG
The range from the west side of Falling Mtn.
Massif.JPG
Half way to Massif - car & house sized boulders, hard work!
Range 2.JPG
Looking back along the range from near Big Gun pass.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:46 am

Sounds like an awesome trip... great photos too.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ollster » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 2:45 pm

Nice pics. We had a really good OLT trip. Girlfriends REALLY enjoyed it. ;-)

The weather over the last couple of days (Sat->Mon) was some of the wierdest weather I've bushwalked in. I still don't know why it didn't snow or rain like crazy, because all the signs were there!
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mr 80% » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 1:46 pm

Glad the weather held out for you. where the trips to Emmit and Falling Mt worth the extra effort?
Mr 80%
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ollster » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 2:49 pm

Weeeeeeeell, I kinda only got "halfway" up Emmett...

I was having a rough morning after perhaps having a brew too many the night before, and after clambering most of the way up the first boulder pile, I realised I was lagging behind badly and getting that sick feeling from not enough breakfast. I had some water/food and a break, but still felt pretty poor, so rather than slowing the other guys I decided to just do it again later at some stage. We didn't attempt Falling, as we'd spent too much time mucking around at the water falls earlier in the day.

I'd have to say I didn't really achieve my goals... although I got up Pelion East which was one I'd planned to knock off.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rohjoe » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 6:45 pm

Stu, thanks for your report & photos. It sounds like you indeed had a couple of huge days! I was on a HWC traverse of the Du Cane range the same weekend. There were some yeti tracks here and there which we thought may have been yours. We camped at Campfire Creek on Day 1 and Mt Massif on Day 2.
I agree with your comments about the bowl on Mt Massif - it looked like a giant freezer! :shock: Weather had deteriorated by Friday afternoon but we were able to find a relatively sheltered spot just to the south, but it was still a challenge to get tents up in wind & rain. Negotiating the final snow-covered ramp up onto Massif was a challenge (for me anyway!). It's a spectacular part of the world & we had a fantastic trip.
RJ

Edit by mod - link not working (forbidden). Is this it?
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15583306
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 6:53 am

Hi RJ,
yep, they were our Yeti tracks to be sure, hope they helped a little? I saw Jim's photos of your trip on Friday, looks like you had a great traverse too, tho unfortunately you got the worse weather for the big day. I think you camped where we were thinking of camping until we decided to continue on, were'nt many good spots about - I'm sure this would be a different story on a snowless summers day tho. Glad you're trip went well, I think the best views of & in the whole national park. Cheers.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain