How challenging is the Overland Track?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

How challenging is the Overland Track?

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 16 Dec, 2008 7:32 pm

I have wondered about this- from maps it actually doesn't look all that hard. My question is- has anyone here done any of the Appalachian Trail in the US- particularly the SE bit? If so, how does the OT track compare?

Cheers!
the_camera_poser

Re: How challenging is the Overland Track?

Postby ollster » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 8:31 am

The overland track isn't hard at all. That's why so many people from so many different backgrounds and levels of fitness do it. Although if you want you can easily get off track into some pretty difficult territory.

I can't compare to the Appalachian trail though, sadly. bit of a different kettle of fish. I would expect the Milford track in NZ would be a better comparison to the OLT?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby freshairfreak » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:18 am

Well, having just done the track for the first time and listening to fellow walkers from the "mainland" I wouldn't say the track is easy. Most of the walkers from Vic, Sydney, Brisbane, etc, thought the walk was mostly all board walk and sunny skys...... well they were in for a shock. Not a lot of board walk and while some of the boardwalk has been upgraded, some of the old boards are exactly that.... old, some just floating in water and mud. We all found in challenging, but being my first multi day walk, it may not be as challenging the next time I do it as I will know what to expect. I think the weather is the biggest factor in whether the walk is "easy" or not, cause it is so erratic, and while we did it ever changing cold weather conditions, and this was only a fortnight ago, I would hate to do it in high temperatures, going uphill for sometimes more than an hour with a back pack on is hot work in cold weather. I don't want to sound negative, as I really did enjoy the walk and we are planning to do it again, I find talking to my two friends I walked with, the more time that passes, we are forgetting about drudging up the hills in rain, sleet, snow, mud, water, and wind, and remembering the highlights of the walk, so ask me again if the track is easy and I will probably say, "of course it is, nothing to it" ha ha. :lol:
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:20 am

freshairfreak wrote:I think the weather is the biggest factor in whether the walk is "easy" or not, cause it is so erratic

Agreed.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Azza » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 6:15 pm

Good weather certainly help! The days aren't particularly long if you just go between huts.

I think for the Tasmanians who have done a bit of walking and used to the mud, track conditions, weather etc. the Overland isn't hard.
For those that aren't so used to the conditions it can be a bit of a shock.
I've seen two extremes of walkers... those who are carrying a huge amount of inappropiate gear.
i.e. massive gas cookers, car camping style tents. etc. struggling with the weight.
And those who aren't carrying enough gear.
i.e. unsuitable wet weather gear, no tent, and are reliant on scoring a space in the hut.
Both situation certainly wouldn't help your enjoyment of the walk.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 6:46 pm

If you didn't think much of the mud on the O.T. I recommend you stay away from the South Coast Track. The O.T. is like a highway in comparison.
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 8:38 pm

Welcome Sue of the Muddy South!

I wonder if anyone ever tried taking their boots off in the mud- pretty dangerous.
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:40 am

SueOfTheSouth wrote:If you didn't think much of the mud on the O.T. I recommend you stay away from the South Coast Track. The O.T. is like a highway in comparison.

Agreed.
However, stressing the "in comparison" - that's not to say the Overland Track is a highway, as others have already mentioned.
If you have done a few multi-day walks in Tassie, you will enjoy the OLT. If you haven't, you have a great distance to cover, over an array of terrain, and with weather that can and does catch you out.
I did it in Winter 2007, and crossing Pelion Pass was a full on blizzard, cameras stayed away from Pelion Pass all the way to Kia Ora hut. And it really was a case of staying focussed - am I getting cold? Have I drunk enough, eaten enough - got the energy, comfortable, not worrying (as a prelude to panic if you weren't sure of things), enough daylight left in the day. Things you might think about under such conditions - and I was prepared and knew what I was doing.
There were a couple of lads from Sydney travelling that same day, they stopped at Pelion gap for lunch, got the billy going for lunch, then the blizzard hit - and hit hard. It spooked them, they ate their warm (read "not cooked") lunch very quickly and literally ran to Kia Ora. They had jeans, and no gaiters.
Then there were the two girls sleeping on the floor beside the heater in Pelion, as they didn't bring sleeping mats.

As well as the weather, the distance too is a challenge.

The last day was a bit of a surprise - from Narcissus to Cynthia Bay.
On the map and in the Chapman book it looks flat. But it is a twisty little track through the rainforest, with lots of roots and logs to negotiate for much of the way.
We were particularly stuffed by the time we got to Cynthia Bay. A lot tougher than I expected.

All in all, I'd say fairly challenging, and very rewarding.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby cherryw » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi All

Did it again in July - South to North and yes it was cold.....very cold and we did Pelion Gap in full blizzard conditions of around -2 deg and 70 klm winds.

Me at Pelion Gap
and
MT Ossa

The track on Pelion Gap

But did get into a bit of trouble on day 6 and had to set off the EPIRB/PLB and was helicoptered to Devenport hospital.

See here - http://www.pbase.com/cherryw/the_overland_walk__cradle_mt_to_lake_st_clair__1722_july_2008

Will do it again in winter to complete the journey. Also when doing it, walk the full distance from Cradle to Cynthia Bay. Great walk.

Wayne
Last edited by cherryw on Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crazyone » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 9:26 pm

would have to agree that the weather is the key factor. it also depends on your definition of hard. iguess it would depend on your level of experience. but all in all, 80kms over alpine and sub alpine terrain can never be that easy, can it?
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 9:30 pm

I like the shots taken between Robert falling and the Rescue chopper- using your time well! :-)

A trail that is doable, if taken seriously. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for the heads up on the last day of the walk- very useful.

I've hiked extensively in alpine conditions, just out of shape and it's been a long time. I wouldn't be game to do it in the winter.

I have had a few bad experiences on Aussie tracks though- I expected them to be well-maintained like US tracks, and found out otherwise. Nothing I couldn't handle, but very, very vexing.

Thanks again all!
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 9:36 pm

the_camera_poser wrote: I wouldn't be game to do it in the winter.

Someone that knows their ability and more importantly their limits, and is prepared to face up to that.
I for one congratulate you for it.

It's about staying safe and having fun. Enjoy!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby cherryw » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:43 pm

It is doable in winter. I guess that the distance between Pelion and Windermere is a little too long compared to the distance between Windermere and Waterfall being too short. But if you expect the worse and it does happen then you are prepared for it.

All in all a very easy track in good weather and a hared on in bad.

Now to plan the next trip there.

Wayne
:mrgreen:
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain