people you meet on the track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

people you meet on the track

Postby dingelberry » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 4:34 pm

Great idea for a book I have done the overland track 4 times now and was just thinking about the people I have meet.
doctors ,vets ,defence force ,pilots ,train drivers,trades of all types and a mirade of other diverse jobs
Meet heaps of other cultures and am surprised how you can still communicate without knowing the other language.
Be a great book just sitting say at pelion for 3 weeks and writing about the people and stories you meet.
Thats a book I would read.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Re: people you meet on the track

Postby Overlandman » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 5:39 pm

Over the years, I have spent a few weeks at Waterfall Valley & completed the Overland Track
8 times, I have also thought about the people you meet & have many stories to tell.
Along with the different nationalities, I was interested in what food they cook, the way they cook, also the quality of their equipment, clothing etc.
A book on this subject would be a great read.
Nuts would have more than a few stories.
Regards Overlandman
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 7:16 pm

Sit in one spot and the whole world will come to you.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby 1iron » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 1:25 pm

Met a bloke at Pelion couple of years ago. Got talking only to find out that we were both born on the same day back in 1945. Both had our driving licenses giving our DOB, he was born in Chile and myself in the UK.
1iron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Overlandman » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 3:52 pm

TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 5:29 pm

In the early 00's a french travel magazine did a similar thing dingleberry. I'm not sure they stopped, just took some time getting through but they were planning a story focusing on the other walkers, staff, guides- people they met. Could be interesting, nothing stopping someone spending time at a hut, Pelion, Narcissus perhaps. You'd meet some 'characters', even now, it takes all sorts that's fir sure!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BigEagle72 » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 8:53 am

Just completed my first Overland, and the highlight besides the obvious brilliance of the outdoors was the many people I came across. This ranged from a house painter, power engineer and a biologist through to the first Australian to make the South Pole unassisted. When you're holed up in a hut out of the weather you truly meet some awesome people!
Get off the couch!
BigEagle72
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mattburga » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 7:24 pm

Finished it Friday. Met some really nice people but huts were crowded and noisy so I was happy to stay in my tent every night.
mattburga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 7:58 pm

BigEagle72 wrote:Just completed my first Overland, and the highlight besides the obvious brilliance of the outdoors was the many people I came across. This ranged from a house painter, power engineer and a biologist through to the first Australian to make the South Pole unassisted. When you're holed up in a hut out of the weather you truly meet some awesome people!

We have done it 12 times (father son bonding, high school ,college,Uni holidays plus one) and totally agree with you as to interesting walkers ,might add never been held up with bad weather :) had fun with snow in Jan one year :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain