General OLT Questions

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

General OLT Questions

Postby DanShell » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:10 am

A couple of years ago I joined up here to get advice and gain experience so I could ultimately walk the OLT. I now have much larger and harder walks in my sights (and have no doubt done much harder walks) but I still haven't done the OLT so its come time to start planning as I want to do it this year, if not in the next few months so I have a heap of questions that hopefully I can get answered here :D

Being a local I have been up there several times and wandered around the general area so there shouldn't be too many surprises for me as far as the conditions or climate goes, but perhaps the crowds will shock me during the booking season?

I am considering going during March or April as Im not big on walking in the heat and it might be nice if theres a little bit of snow around and also looking at the booking system there are very few bookings during that period at the moment so I was hoping to avoid some of the crowds, do you think that is wishful thinking?
Or should I wait until the 'off season' if I want to avoid the masses? Im most likely doing this alone so I am not keen to go in the middle of winter but I could risk it either side slightly.

I now refuse to sleep in huts with a group of people so am I guaranteed to have a platform or space for my tent at each hut, even during a busy period?

Am I allowed to screw small hooks into the platforms to pitch my tent? Obviously I remove them again. Ive never had an issue in the past but Im thinking during peak periods there will be some sort of authority around keeping an eye on that type of thing.

Just on that, are there hut wardens or parks people at each hut looking after things?

Given that I have been up there several times before, especially around the Cradle end, would I be rushing it too much if I was to skip Waterfall Valley Hut and stay at Lake Windermere on night one? Ive never been out to Lake Windermere before so I am not sure if I should allow the second day to get there and enjoy the walk more with the extra time.

Once again being local means I don't need to do some of the side trips because we have either done them or will do them, so I would only be doing the side trips I can't do any other time so I am allowing the 6 days to just walk the OLT, I may spend an extra night at Pelion as there is a bit more around there I haven't done but Ill have to see how my knees and feet are coping.

Ive never had a problem in the past with animals when I keep my food in my tent and my pack in my vestibule overnight but I am thinking due to the crowds the animals up there will be used to finding food so I am wondering if I should be avoiding this up there? As I said Ive never had an issue anywhere before. Im careful with my boots, I've had devils chew them when I was a kid once! Or does everyone keep there packs and food in the huts?

I am also wondering what happens if the Ferry can't fit everyone on? I guess they take the people who are booked and confirmed as the priority and just fit the left overs on if they can and anyone else has to wait until the next ferry. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help and sorry if the questions seem silly! Is there anything else I should be careful of that I wouldn't encounter any other time walking around Tassie? Mad tourists perhaps? :lol:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: General OLT Questions

Postby bumpingbill » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 10:36 am

Or should I wait until the 'off season' if I want to avoid the masses?

I did it a few weeks *before* the book season began, and while there were a few people around I still had huts to myself most of the way. If others were in the hut, I still had rooms to myself.

If you wait until (early) April, you'll miss many of the crowds and get to do it for free!

I now refuse to sleep in huts with a group of people so am I guaranteed to have a platform or space for my tent at each hut, even during a busy period?

You can't guarantee anything, but as mentioned it's possible you'll be the only one there - so you could have a hut to yourself. Failing that, there are also pretty good odds you'll have a tent site somewhere.

Not sure about the hooks, but I did notice that many of the platforms already had quite a few hook things already.

would I be rushing it too much if I was to skip Waterfall Valley Hut and stay at Lake Windermere on night one?

I'd say if you can do it, then I can't see the problem. It'd be a bigger day obviously.

I am also wondering what happens if the Ferry can't fit everyone on?

I guess they go full and you miss out. I didn't worry about the ferry though. Echo Point Hut is a cracker of a little hut and the walk back to home base is a nice one.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 10:55 am

bumpingbill wrote:If you wait until (early) April, you'll miss many of the crowds and get to do it for free!

Not quite bumpingbill. The booking season is 1 October to 31 May. While early May could be quite good, there is a spike in walkers wanting to do it free. And any time in the off season you'll face shorter days and frostier tracks, which make it a different experience: not necessarily worse, but different.

Everything else bb said makes sense. Overall it's a wonderful walk, and well worth doing. It took me over 15 years of walking in Tas to overcome my "this is the trip for tourists" prejudice. I freely admit I was wrong, and have now done it 4 times, each trip a memorable one. I would encourage anyone who's up for the challenge to have a go.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 11:04 am

DanShell wrote:I am also wondering what happens if the Ferry can't fit everyone on? I guess they take the people who are booked and confirmed as the priority and just fit the left overs on if they can and anyone else has to wait until the next ferry. Is that correct?

On this one, if you book ahead, then check in via radio once you're at Narcissus Hut, you should be fine for a seat, particularly during the shoulder seasons.

And regarding marauding possums and currawongs, any pack left outside, unattended is fair game - even in the daytime (eg packs left at Pelion Gap). Overnight, some sites are worse than others. I would either store food inside your pack and hang it in the hut, or keep it deep inside your pack and inside your tent.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 11:17 am

You need to make sure not to step on your cup hooks, the things can break off in the timber.
$200 is a bit steep, late winter is great, i'd avoid the first weeks of May as well or just pay and go soon :)
(they'll all be 'tourist tracks' given time)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bumpingbill » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 12:39 pm

whynotwalk wrote:
bumpingbill wrote:If you wait until (early) April, you'll miss many of the crowds and get to do it for free!

Not quite bumpingbill. The booking season is 1 October to 31 May. While early May could be quite good, there is a spike in walkers wanting to do it free. And any time in the off season you'll face shorter days and frostier tracks, which make it a different experience: not necessarily worse, but different.

Fair enough! I didn't experience the same thing when I did it a few weeks before the paid season, but what you say makes sense.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 3:57 pm

Wouldn't be concerned about the crowds. The one way system is an excellent way to reduce the number of people that you will encounter during the day, and your preference for sleeping outside should mean that you aren't in a crowd at night.

If you stop at a hut at night, I would hang my food in the hut, or put it on an out of reach shelf.

Should be no problems, although I did encounter a couple elsewhere who felt that my carefully rationed gas supply was communal property, simply because I left it in a hut overnight.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 4:01 pm

DanShell wrote:I am considering going during March or April as Im not big on walking in the heat and it might be nice if theres a little bit of snow around and also looking at the booking system there are very few bookings during that period at the moment so I was hoping to avoid some of the crowds, do you think that is wishful thinking?
Or should I wait until the 'off season' if I want to avoid the masses? Im most likely doing this alone so I am not keen to go in the middle of winter but I could risk it either side slightly.

Well, I've done three crossings in October. I wouldn't have called it busy but there were plenty of walkers each time. Except when I arrived at New Pelion hut on Hobart show weekend to find the place filled to bursting and overflowing onto the verandahs.
DanShell wrote:I now refuse to sleep in huts with a group of people so am I guaranteed to have a platform or space for my tent at each hut, even during a busy period?

Presumably this is the reason for having a booking system, but even that may not guarantee you a platform.
DanShell wrote:Am I allowed to screw small hooks into the platforms to pitch my tent? Obviously I remove them again. Ive never had an issue in the past but Im thinking during peak periods there will be some sort of authority around keeping an eye on that type of thing.

I'm pretty sure the platforms already have attachment points provided. I remember some had wires and others had rows of nail heads around the perimeter. All you should need is some extra cord to tie out the peg points.
DanShell wrote:Just on that, are there hut wardens or parks people at each hut looking after things?

I remember I saw one once.
DanShell wrote:Given that I have been up there several times before, especially around the Cradle end, would I be rushing it too much if I was to skip Waterfall Valley Hut and stay at Lake Windermere on night one? Ive never been out to Lake Windermere before so I am not sure if I should allow the second day to get there and enjoy the walk more with the extra time.

Nope - if you can get to Waterfall Valley comfortably, the extra distance to Windemere is cruisy enough.
DanShell wrote:Ive never had a problem in the past with animals when I keep my food in my tent and my pack in my vestibule overnight

Me either. But the currawongs will open zips and get into your pack if you leave it unattended.
DanShell wrote:I am also wondering what happens if the Ferry can't fit everyone on? I guess they take the people who are booked and confirmed as the priority and just fit the left overs on if they can and anyone else has to wait until the next ferry. Is that correct?

You use the two-way at Narcissus hut to book your ferry ride. It's probably not a good idea to just turn up and expect to get on if it's busy.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Scottyk » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 4:33 pm

Take a little clip or carabiner for all your zips to keep the Currawongs out. I climbed Cradle the other day and about 5 packs left at the track junction had been raided, the top pockets in the packs had been emptied.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby simonm » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 4:40 pm

It's pretty much been answered Dan but i am booked in for the end of March so I may see you on the track.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby DanShell » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks everyone for the info, I guess it was pretty much as I expected.

Just on the Currawongs, I made a cuben pack cover that cinches up using a mini cord lock. Would that be adequate to keep them out or should I be using a small carabiner as Scotty suggested? (I don't need to use the pack cover for rain as my contents are inside cuben bags as well)

Simon I am not sure of the timing as yet. A lot of it comes down to being able to take a week off work as well. I have some friends who are keen to do the walk so if they come ill be more comfortable doing it closer to winter. I like walking when there is some snow around so thats my preferred timing.
Are you doing it on your own?

I am seriously considering walking it on my own. Id love to do it with my wife but she is not keen on such a long hike, she doesn't share my enthusiasm. And my son just started an apprenticeship so that counts him out for a while.
Im not sure about doing it with a friend, I think it would be better in a small group of at least three people so we can share around the annoyance of being with the same people for a week. That probably sounds a bit harsh but my usual walking mate likes a chat and after day 3 I am ready to eat him so the thought of 7 days with him might detract from my enjoyment! I think the older I get the less tolerant I am ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:01 am

I am doing it with two others but was going to do it by myself also. I quite like walking on my own.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby RonK » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 1:17 pm

DanShell wrote:I am seriously considering walking it on my own.

I've walked it in my own.
I've walked it with a friend.
I've walked it with two friends.

The solo trip was the best. Why? Partly because I enjoyed the independence and the freedom to set my own agenda, but mostly because I met and engaged with other walkers much more than if I was in a group.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby kitty » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 10:07 am

Hi DanShell, Currawongs. See picture taken of some unattended packs whilst owners were climbing Mt Ossa. They really can open zips. Carabiners would prevent that.
Attachments
Currawongs.jpg
Currawongs.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 30772 times
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby DanShell » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks Ron and Kitty :)

I purchased some little carabiners today...and a few other little items all to do with walking the OLT.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 7:21 pm

An interesting (well, to me anyway :D ) observation was the selectivity of the currawongs when I left my pack at Pelion Gap.

Amongst the other walkers doing likewise were two who used garbags to enclose their packs. One used black, the other used orange.

The currawongs ripped big holes in one and didn't touch the other. I don't remember which colour was attacked, but my thought was that that colour may be used by park staff, and the currawongs had learnt to associate it with food ????

I had no trouble using a simple pack cover of a nondescript olive/ochre colour.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Sat 14 Feb, 2015 9:34 pm

stry wrote:An interesting (well, to me anyway :D ) observation was the selectivity of the currawongs when I left my pack at Pelion Gap.

Amongst the other walkers doing likewise were two who used garbags to enclose their packs. One used black, the other used orange.

The currawongs ripped big holes in one and didn't touch the other. I don't remember which colour was attacked, but my thought was that that colour may be used by park staff, and the currawongs had learnt to associate it with food ????

I had no trouble using a simple pack cover of a nondescript olive/ochre colour.

Interesting observation...shame you didn't recall the favoured colour ;)

Coincidence or perhaps just the contents of the pack that attracted the Currawongs rather than the colour of the cover?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 11:46 am

That top zippered compartment, it's like a lunchbox to them (Ravens at Pelion Gap)

These might help:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 1.03.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 1.03.32 PM.png (26.05 KiB) Viewed 30648 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 9:29 pm

Nuts wrote:That top zippered compartment, it's like a lunchbox to them (Ravens at Pelion Gap)

These might help:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 1.03.32 PM.png

Don't you mean Currawongs cannot think of any Ravens unzipping packs unless they had nice carrion in them :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 11:23 am

No mate, there have been a pair of cheeky ravens working over packs at Pelion gap this season (it may still have been currawongs in the pic above). I'll try to get a pic of the culprits!

Dan, food will be fine buried down in the main compartment.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 24 Feb, 2015 9:41 am

Just a little bit excited....I AM BOOKED!! :D :D

Leaving on April the 12th........anyone else on here leaving at that time?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Tue 24 Feb, 2015 11:26 am

CONGRATULATIONS!
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 24 Feb, 2015 2:15 pm

1. The general consensus seems to be if the birds can't see any zips, then they think they don't exist. I lay my pack flat, put the pack cover over it, and cinch the pack cover up tight so no zips are visible or accessible. Has worked until now.
Don't stand your pack up, because if it falls over the zips might be exposed and then attacked. Tie the zips together if you are really concerned.

2. Day 1 to Winderemere is a big day, but then if you aren't doing any side trips it would be manageable. Then you might have an extra day to walk around Lake St Clair. It's often overlooked, but a beautiful walk - and Echo Point in good weather is an amazing spot. If you go straight to Windermere, then walk day 5 from Bert Nichols to Echo Point, then walk out on day 6. Saves you the exorbitant ferry fee as well.

3. I've used cup hooks on the platforms, and no-one has ever said anything to me. They are much easier and more secure than the provided cable tie downs.

4. Transfers are a pain. Always have been, always will. Organising a fly in trip to hike in Tasmania is always a logistical juggle. Sometimes I think it's better to be young and fancy free, then you can just jump on someone else's prearranged transport!
The Overland track is even worse than most other walks because hiring a car is pointless. At least if you start where you finish, car hire is a good option.

5. Put all your food and pack (which smells like food) in the hut before bedtime. The possums become very game and will happily climb under a tent fly to access the stinky socks in your vestibule, or rip open tents to find food.

6. Cooking in the hut is a good idea. You might be a tent sleeping person (so am I), but one of the highlights of people's experience can be meeting interesting people along the way.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby DanShell » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for the advice SAH :)

I have been communicating with the ferry people and he tells me on the day/s I am potentially finishing there are limited ferry services and if there is no one else booked or less than 6 then I have to pay the full $240 or a share of it!

So they can miss out on me as a customer, ill be walking out. I think ill feel better within myself if I walk the full track anyway. I just hope my knees and foot will allow me to do it.

Do people just turn up at Narcussis and hope to get a spot on the ferry without making a prior booking? I might be one of them!

As for transfers thats easy..........when I get to Cynthia Bay Ill phone my wife.....she is only a couple of hours away.....and obviously she will be missing me so she will drop everything and come and get me straight away :twisted:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Azza » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 4:47 pm

Do people just turn up at Narcussis and hope to get a spot on the ferry without making a prior booking? I might be one of them!

Yes. Turned up before and got a spot many a time. Really depends on how many other punters are around.
When you arrive at Narcissus you can make a booking over the radio, so it pays to get your name on the list before it fills up.

Or what we've done in the past is ring ahead via mobile to make a booking, that way you can scope the situation out.
There is probably mobile reception somewhere around Bert Nichols? not sure. We've done it off top of some of the mountains before..
Azza

Postby DanShell » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks Azza I might suck it and see as they say.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 7:45 pm

That huts company uses the 1pm service, best chance at a cheaper fare.

Aside (for Corvus) lol, :)

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 8.33.06 PM.png

corvus 1a.png
corvus 1a.png (255.68 KiB) Viewed 30247 times

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 8.33.54 PM.png

corvus 2a.png
corvus 2a.png (504.77 KiB) Viewed 30247 times

Not only do they open every zip, just enough to poke a beak inside, they removed a pack cover and pulled the gear out of the front (or is it back :? ) pocket, found the jelly beans and helped themselves.

Deep inside the main body of your pack is the best place.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 8:17 pm

Nah Nuts not total proof ,would not stand up in a court of Law as evidence ,no one the job ,just supposition ( a set up to blame the Ravens for Crimes of the Currawongs) next time we "Ravens "need real proof of heads in packs :lol: .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 8:26 pm

haha, leaving the scene of the crime not enough?? as i suspected, they were just too damn quick though.. this time!
hmm yeah, I thought i'd get away with supposition counting as 'evidence'- here..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 8:50 pm

Oh, just to add to some other comments:
Cuphooks are ok, you can put the peg points where they need to be. Minimise the number by using some of the nails or other available anchor points first.
The hole left, in treated pine, will seal with rain and without splintering, however.. take a lot of care not to tread on or kick the hooks (easily done). If they're bent don't try to straighten them while still in the timber.., they can snap, leaving the screw embedded, perhaps protruding, possibly (probably) hard to remove. Unscrew them 'as is'. Hammering any broken screws under may be the easiest or only option.
Last edited by Nuts on Sat 28 Feb, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain