New Experiences

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

New Experiences

Postby freemandale » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 12:53 am

I have 'done' the OT annually for the past three/four years.
Been walking in Tassie for the past 10 -8 years
Some years have been tougher than others!
Have walked Oct in snow, May in snow....Sunshine in between
Walked the "Walls" In May and Oct... Some experience....
This year I have been asked to accompany a friend on her first ever OT trip in March.
Not worried about the weather!
Is this a big first time hike for a Tassie newbie?
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: New Experiences

Postby stepbystep » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 5:52 am

freemandale wrote:I have 'done' the OT annually for the past three/four years.
Been walking in Tassie for the past 10 -8 years
Some years have been tougher than others!
Have walked Oct in snow, May in snow....Sunshine in between
Walked the "Walls" In May and Oct... Some experience....
This year I have been asked to accompany a friend on her first ever OT trip in March.
Not worried about the weather!
Is this a big first time hike for a Tassie newbie?

If she's fit enough, healthy enough and has the right gear and attitude of course not. :)
I also have a friend wanting to do this, I thought I'd take her on a daywalk up to Barn Cirque first with a heavy pack. That is enough to give them an idea of what it's all about I reckon.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby rollingk » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 10:50 pm

With right gear and fitness level it shouldn't be too difficult since the track isn't demanding unless she want to take side trips or climb the summits. However, like freemandale mentioned, I would bring your friend to a long day hike with heavy pack to get her to know what's coming during the 6-8 days.
rollingk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby freemandale » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 5:56 am

Thanks for the advice.
It's difficult for us to prepare for this walk, coming out of a South Aussie summer!
Long day walks and overnighters are tricky to do here at this time of year.
On the upside - we will be much fitter when we get home and ready for the start of walking season in SA!
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:21 am

You've obviously walked the track in winter condition so you know what you could be in for. But perhaps your friend won't appreciate the potential weather.
Even in Feb and March snow can occur. Make sure your friend is adequately prepared for wet, cold and windy conditions - they might assume it will be fine.
People who aren't too fit will generally survive the OT but won't really enjoy it when they are walking (perhaps as an achievement afterwards). If your friend is fit, they'll enjoy the walk so much more.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby freemandale » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 4:25 am

Yup! I'm fairly picky about gear.... wont be the first time I've carried full wet weather gear, tent, etc..etc... for most of it never seeing the light of day!
But I'd rather have it than be caught out without!
My most least used piece of equipment in Tassie......sun hat... maybe I need to visit at different times?
#lovewinterwalking
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 7:37 am

freemandale wrote:My most least used piece of equipment in Tassie......sun hat... maybe I need to visit at different times?
#lovewinterwalking

Interesting.....That reminds me of the first time my father in law was down here (he never got over me bringing his daughter from nsw to tas to live) and he was rubbishing Tassie's supposed lack of sun and rambles how its always raining here etc

So he proceeded to spend his holiday down here outdoors as we do, but he didn't need sunscreen because there is no 'real' sun .........ive never seen someone so burnt :lol: He always wears his hat and sunscreen now when he visits.....but has never stopped rubbishing our weather :D Ironically where he lives in NSW has twice the annual rain fall than where we live in Tassie.
A little off topic, but don't be deceived by an overcast day, it can bite.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 8:15 am

Nature can be brutal but payback is sometimes funny!

We had a similar experience with a group of dutch backpackers who we met and they also did not beleive in sun protection. One day we went to the beach walking and we used sun screen and offered it to them without success. The sun was brutal at about 39 degrees - the next day I have never seen so much sun damage, blisters, deep burns etc. The girls learnt a tough lesson and now use sun protection without any encouragement.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby freemandale » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 3:50 pm

Always wear sunscreen but have never been a hat person...
Was raised always hearing about how much heat you loose through your head and as a 'warm' walker maybe that's why I don't wear a hat..??
In winter though, I always put on a fleecy beanie when I stop. If my feet and head are warm (or cool) then I feel fine, whatever the weather.
Looking at the forecast for March on the OT I might just take my beanie :)
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 3:54 pm

I think the official figure nowadays for heat loss through the head is 12%. Nowhere near the 50% that was once assumed - which actually makes a lot of sense given the difference in surface area.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby freemandale » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 1:35 am

Made it!

To recap - shorts and Tshirt weather during the day, thermals at night. Coat on one day... Never wore the sun hat or the sunglasses.
We both made it! Think my friend enjoyed it more than me ...

She suffered way less aches and pains, I was perhaps more mentally prepared.
Regardless of track improvements it is still a long way to walk, carrying a big load, sleeping hard (and going to bed very early!)

Really have come home thinking 'been there, done that'... again!
Wrong timing? No spring flowers but no fagus either!

As much as I would like to think (and feel) that I can still do anything, my feet say "Nooooo"!!

The Three Capes Walk looks inviting; less days, less weight! A good alternative while I'm still convincing myself I'm too young for the 'private huts'.

As always, great company, great characters and new friends along the way!

Really appreciated the new track work south of Pelion Gap - its a fine line between a enjoying a wilderness experience and risking my neck every time I trip over a tricky tree root :)

I have said I wont do it again.....but, really! There is no where else, so readily accessible that is just so great!
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain