helicopters on the Overland track

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: helicopters on the Overland track

Postby freemandale » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 1:57 am

One of the best days of my life was late afternoon, early spring. A perfectly calm and clear day (rare at Cradle), enjoyed an absolutely fabulous helicopter fight over Cradle and Waterfall Valley. Loved it and it inspired me to do more and try other experiences in my life.
Having walked the OT a few times can't say that I enjoy the buzz of helicopters either. They used to be a novelty - a reminder that civilization wasn't all that far away - but this year they did appear seemingly frequent throughout the day, just in the first two - three days.
I have never walked the track in March before and wouldn't again. It's not the helicopters that spoil the ambience, just the sheer number of people!
Having said that, the camaraderie and consideration of other walkers is great, the improved track work appears to be having a very positive effect on the environment and the facilities seemed to cope.
Even though It is still a long way to walk, packs are still heavy and the weather is still unpredictable, the OT did feel to me to be 'less remote'. But even that is more than many would be able to cope with!
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

helicopters on the Overland track

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 9:27 am

Just dropped in as I've thought this is a thread just about rescue helicopters. How wrong was I!

My take, everything with moderation. Place an upper limit on the number of joy flights per set period. Was on the Great Ocean Road a year or two ago and the flow of joy flights at the 12 apostles was continuous, to the point of being annoying with the noise and visual impact on a natural wonder.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: helicopters on the Overland track

Postby simonm » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 11:25 am

I have just got back from walking the track and there were enough helicopters overhead to detract slightly from my own expectations of what I like from a wilderness walk, but then again I found the boardwalk and huts had the same affect on me, though I am ever so slightly anti-social :wink:. I slept in a hut on the first night and that was enough for me.
Attachments
Overland Track March 2015 051_800x600.JPG
Overland Track March 2015 051_800x600.JPG (24.17 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain