Cable Car to Dove Lake

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: Cable Car to Dove Lake

Postby Hermione » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 6:28 pm

A viewing shelter? Seriously, this just epitomises what's wrong the world we've forgotten how to or are scared to interact with the natural environment.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby pazzar » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 6:33 pm

And rangers positioned in the shelter pods around the lake..... Who is paying for them? Parks are already thin on resources without this kind of expectation. Rangers are there to manage the park, and provide some interpretation for tourists, but they aren't tour guides!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 7:24 pm

pazzar wrote:And rangers positioned in the shelter pods around the lake..... Who is paying for them? Parks are already thin on resources without this kind of expectation. Rangers are there to manage the park, and provide some interpretation for tourists, but they aren't tour guides!

Try not to limit your thinking to what is already in place. There is no reason tour guides cannot be employed by parks if there is a sound business case to support such a strategy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 7:33 pm

[quote="GPSGuided Can just imagine it'll have a light helicopter fleet like the 12 Apostles there on Great Ocean Rd, constantly buzzing the lake and the mountain. The video animators conveniently forgot for render in a dozen buzzing helicopters.

Your reference to the 12 Apostles is perhaps more relevant than you may think GPS. The 12 Apostles are without doubt one of the most recognisable tourist attractions in the nation. But one that has become so popular that it really isn't an enjoyable experience to visit anymore. The ridiculous number of tourist buses in addition to the squadrons of light planes and helicopters is beyond belief. It's full beyond capacity BUT IT'S STILL BEING PROMOTED. I believe the shear number of visitors is un-managable to the point where nobody has a truly enjoyable experience there anymore.
Like it or not Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake are more of a tourist destination nowadays than a walking destination. And the day is probably not too far away when it is no longer recognisable as the states most iconic tourist destinations but one of the most recognisable in the NATION !!
By then the horse has bolted and everyone's time there is compromised. I really don't have any answers but I do know that we would be very naive to think that everything can just stay the way it is while the regions status as a TOURIST sight continues to be promoted.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 8:14 pm

Strider wrote: There is no reason tour guides cannot be employed by parks if there is a sound business case to support such a strategy.

The service would need to be non-profit, cover expenses, lest we simply swap the influence of profits.

Moving Dove Lake carpark space was on the plan when the road was re-surfaced, there.. a part of that plan, set to go, yet it didn't happen.. (?)

I think i'd rather have a park service public transport system, whatever system is the most efficient, processes revenue, gets hordes to the lake, gets them back to consume stuff. I don't see what the big deal is in needing to get them out of the 'transport' lol so long as they are happy, satisfied, right?

Certainly the current bus V car seems to manage but it's
by shear good luck of arriving at the boom gate at the right time, according to the sign (assuming you understand the language) (mind you motorbikes seem fine, I watched as 5 got through for the car that came out, the other 40 just diverted around the boomgate bollard! :lol: )
Last edited by Nuts on Thu 10 Mar, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GerryDuke » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 8:17 pm

I thought it must have been April 1st when I saw the headlines.
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby stepbystep » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 9:30 pm

I just want to throw up.

The Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service. It's a service not a business enterprise.

Cradle is already a bit of a theme park but this will finish off what Cradle once was and is a sign of things to come for the rest of our special places.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 9:34 pm

I blame you Bushwalkers for promoting Cradle so much over past decades! :P
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tastrax » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 11:54 am

Strider wrote:Try not to limit your thinking to what is already in place. There is no reason tour guides cannot be employed by parks if there is a sound business case to support such a strategy.

If there was a sound business case then Parks would not get the opportunity - it would be private enterprise. It will only be Parks staff if it runs at a loss or marginal for private enterprise.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 12:22 pm

A pipe dream? I'm not the first, I'd love to see the park service operating such services in our parks, guiding, interpreting, making infrastructure projects happen with a focus on real community access and wholeheartedly minimising impact.. who better? Privately profits are maximised and, and when, access is limited. Environmental protection, despite the rhetoric, will never be much more than an economic constraint to private enterprise.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 12:39 pm

Nuts wrote:A pipe dream? I'm not the first, I'd love to see the park service operating such services in our parks, guiding, interpreting, making infrastructure projects happen with a focus on real community access and wholeheartedly minimising impact.. who better? Privately profits are maximised and, and when, access is limited. Environmental protection, despite the rhetoric, will never be much more than an economic constraint to private enterprise.

Totally agree.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robertoman » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 3:15 pm

My wife and I just squeezed in a lap of Dove Lake at the end of our Tassie trip. We heard 2 visitors asking about whether they should buy park passes and was the shuttle trip down to Dove Lake worth it. After the obvious effort to get there, it was a bit puzzling. Sadly, though, it probably reflects the view point that might lead to monstrosities such as cable cars being constructed. Such folk aren't interested in the "wilderness experience" unless the "wilderness" is taken out.

I quite liked the shuttle bus down to the Lake. I did the Overland many years ago and was happy to see how things were being managed. I was quite impressed by the walk around Dove Lake, and thought it nicely balanced pressures on the eco system with access for your average walker. Unlike a possible cable car. My wife is a good walker, but not on anything technical, and the board walk allowed her to fall in love with the place and now she is desperate to return. Judging by what I saw and heard from other visitors, I don't think a cable car was what they had in my mind. All seemed there to walk in the rain, walk the track, look at the beauty. I think the "tourism boost" I read about would be a flop, and a big white elephant the result.
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 3:34 pm

robertoman wrote:All seemed there to walk in the rain, walk the track, look at the beauty. I think the "tourism boost" I read about would be a flop, and a big white elephant the result.

That's the answer! Access by white elephants. On second thoughts, something more subtle is needed, mimimum impact of all kinds, especially visual.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Overlandman » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 9:14 am

Listened to LA FM's Brian Carlton live broadcast Tasmania Talks show from Cradle Valley on Tuesday.
There is a proposed charge of $20 per person for the cable car experience.
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 9:46 am

Overlandman wrote:Listened to LA FM's Brian Carlton live broadcast Tasmania Talks show from Cradle Valley on Tuesday.
There is a proposed charge of $20 per person for the cable car experience.
Regards OLM

Presumably this includes a parks pass?

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 6:53 pm

Overlandman wrote:There is a proposed charge of $20 per person for the cable car experience.

'Experience' - as used in this context - is fast becoming my least favourite word.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby entreat » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:26 pm

Anyone notice the dog off lead in one of the pictures in that glossy magazine? I don't think they really understand their brief or their client if they think a dog is allowed at Dove Lake, on or off lead.

Very disappointing proposal.
entreat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain