the overland track in early june????

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

the overland track in early june????

Postby nathanbritton77 » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 11:00 am

Hi,
Having completed the overland solo in april 2016 I have decided to take my two teenage kids 13/14 on the walk this year in very early june.On my walk was surprised at seeing no snow anywhere.Apparently I had some of the best consecutive good days weatherwisethat people had seen for years.My question is this?how much snow is likely in very early june?i Tassie can be unpredictable but I'm just after a general rule of thumb?
nathanbritton77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: the overland track in early june????

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 5:02 pm

Heaviest snowfalls are generally later in the season but, as you already said, Tassie is unpredictable.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 10:45 am

Often we get a cold snap sometime in May with a dump of snow and everyone starts carrying on about how winter is here.
Then its usually warms up for a couple of weeks heading into June and everyone wonders where winter has gone.

Any snow is May/June even if its heavy usually doesn't hang around long.
You won't see any real accumulation on the ground because its just not cold enough yet.
You need the ground to cool down for it to hang around.

I've had some very nice sunny but cold trips in June before. But not much more than a few sprinkles of snow on the ground.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Singe » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 2:44 pm

Just an anecdote, but when I was there last June there was a reasonable scattering of about a foot over most of the Cradle plateau. Some decent drifts but mostly melted by the time we got there. Walking down to Waterfall Valley was pretty damp. Met a couple at the hut who had got *all* their gear wet and were staying a couple of days to dry it out before turning back!

Didn't come across any standing snow on the OT itself for the rest of the trip, but there was quite a bit over the higher bits of Ossa.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Geevesy » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 6:45 pm

Have to be prepared though - I've walked the OT a few times early June and it's ranged from zero snow to knee deep from Marion's to Pelion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A path! A path!
Geevesy

Region: Tasmania

Postby Singe » Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:23 am

Geevesy wrote:Have to be prepared though - I've walked the OT a few times early June and it's ranged from zero snow to knee deep from Marion's to Pelion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was hoping for...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain