Overland - options outside the norm for tenting

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland - options outside the norm for tenting

Postby scouts1 » Fri 20 Jan, 2017 1:24 pm

I am booked for April and have started looking at tent camping spot options. I am not at all interested in hut sleeping.
What are the options for 'legal' random tent camping along the OLT?
for example I see in the Chapmans OLT Guide that they have marked a tent spot at Lake Will but that is not marked on the TasMap Maps & Notes.
I see mentions in forums about the saddle between Doris and Pelion East.

I guess what I am asking is where can I camp away from the masses? expecting to take 6-7 days with side trips
scouts1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Overland - keen to share prep notes

Postby Mark F » Fri 20 Jan, 2017 1:35 pm

You cannot camp between Waldheim and Waterfall Valley along the OLT route. There is most probably a short section of the track as you approach Cynthia Bay that may not allow camping. You can camp on the Eastern side of Cradle around Scott Kilvert hut but not Twisted Tarns area if you have a late start or the weather is diabolical. Other than that there are no restrictions that I am aware of.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Overland - keen to share prep notes

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Jan, 2017 2:09 pm

Mark F wrote:There is most probably a short section of the track as you approach Cynthia Bay that may not allow camping.

Never seen any 'no camping' signs there, but it's easy enough to pitch in a few places along the lakeside track up to and including Fergys Paddock, although it's best to avoid pitching next to the track in the main day use area (Watersmeet, Platypus Point). Apart from that and the Waldheim to Waterfall Valley restriction, and the old campsite on Pelion Creek, pick a site, any site (as long as it's not going to flood).
There are tent platforms near most of the huts, and many other good tentsites.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Overland - options outside the norm for tenting

Postby Nuts » Sat 21 Jan, 2017 10:42 am

The irony isn't lost in asking, on a public forum, for camp site suggestions 'away from the masses'.
The masses aren't overwhelming, especially by April, but there are very few 'legal' restrictions out in the park.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scouts1 » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:17 am

great. I will take that all to mean camping is ok past Waterfall- but maybe best out of sight of the track.
scouts1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 12:38 pm

I just hope you are not in a big group....

solo off track camping is OK but there are only limited spots where are large group could camp without causing extra impacts
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm not sure what 'official' rhetoric applies but generally dispersed camping is encouraged? ie. don't use anywhere that looks to have been used before and leave your spot looking unused.. which yes, wont happen with a big group. An organised group, institutional group, should really be applying for the group camp sites (and using them)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 12:49 pm

Whenever I walk along the Overland Track, I keep a look out for good campsites that I may want to use in the future - and there are plenty. Some of them are close to the track (e.g. near the small creek, about 1/2 hour south of Windy Ridge, others are more discreet - behind a thicket of scrub etc. Most of these campsites are quite small - e.g. only 1 - 2 tents. But there are also some quite large campsites that in the past have been used by tent based guided parties, generally well away from the track and in nice places. These seem to have been superseded by the group camping platforms near the huts.

And you need to consider toileting. I recently camped at the north end of Lake Meston (so not on the Overland Track), where there is a nice large open grassy area where most people camp. But this is a bit exposed and nearby are some more sheltered campsites. But, unfortunately, someone had been suing these more sheltered spots for their ablutions..... and later their poo has been dug up by animals ... so what remains are holes and old toilet paper. I saw this three years ago, and it was still the same earlier this month - the holes and toilet paper are still there (or perhaps new deposits?). So, if you do camp away from the huts, then you may want to use the hut toilets, or dig deep holes well away from the track, water, campsites etc.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scouts1 » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 7:30 am

Just in from the OLT and bush camped each night avoiding the huts. We only went in them when passing for a look.
Lots of bad stories along the way of noisy groups staying up late, even one large male group who played loud music in the huts late in the evening, each and every night. This was also a problem for the solo female walker who felt quite intimidated.
We found some amazing campsites that others obviously use.
scouts1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scouts11 » Mon 08 May, 2017 7:56 pm

IT issues meaning change of name so I apologise to those who have emailed me for details;
Camp 1 near Flynns Tarn on way to Scott Kilvert (after climbing Cradle Mtn). Excellent spot RHS of the track just along from the ck crossing. On Chapmans map approx. 138/843. There's also camping at Scott Kilvert Hut platform.
Camp 2 approx. 700m past Windermere Hut on LHS on a grassy area just before a ck crossing with a perfect flat rock to use as a large table. Approx. 138/742.
Camp 3 Mt Doris at approx. 208/645. Make sure you climb to the top of the new steps then look for a spot on the RHS approx. 50-100m off the track. A good spot to leave the tent with gear in it in the morning as you climb Ossa. Then come back for a rest in the tent before continuing.
Camp 4 DuCane Hut has a picnic platform and hunting around some ok flattish spots (no sleeping in hut but it makes a great kitchen area just watch out for the holes in the floor)
Camp 5 approx. 30 minutes past Windy Ridge on RHS is an amazing campsite under the trees (could fit maybe 3 tents) just before a bridge and ck crossing. Good water. Approx. 243/559
Camp 6 on the beach in front of Echo Pt hut. There are 2 great tent spots here right on the sand (and others in the trees) Hut has an excellent coal burner.
scouts11
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:31 am

scouts11 wrote: DuCane Hut has a picnic platform ...

It's actually a helipad. But I've seen people camped on it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Strider » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:44 am

north-north-west wrote:
scouts11 wrote: DuCane Hut has a picnic platform ...

It's actually a helipad. But I've seen people camped on it.

Same at Scott-Kilvert.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby dee_legg » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:46 am

scouts11 wrote:IT issues meaning change of name so I apologise to those who have emailed me for details;
Camp 1 near Flynns Tarn on way to Scott Kilvert (after climbing Cradle Mtn). Excellent spot RHS of the track just along from the ck crossing. On Chapmans map approx. 138/843. There's also camping at Scott Kilvert Hut platform.
Camp 2 approx. 700m past Windermere Hut on LHS on a grassy area just before a ck crossing with a perfect flat rock to use as a large table. Approx. 138/742.
Camp 3 Mt Doris at approx. 208/645. Make sure you climb to the top of the new steps then look for a spot on the RHS approx. 50-100m off the track. A good spot to leave the tent with gear in it in the morning as you climb Ossa. Then come back for a rest in the tent before continuing.
Camp 4 DuCane Hut has a picnic platform and hunting around some ok flattish spots (no sleeping in hut but it makes a great kitchen area just watch out for the holes in the floor)
Camp 5 approx. 30 minutes past Windy Ridge on RHS is an amazing campsite under the trees (could fit maybe 3 tents) just before a bridge and ck crossing. Good water. Approx. 243/559
Camp 6 on the beach in front of Echo Pt hut. There are 2 great tent spots here right on the sand (and others in the trees) Hut has an excellent coal burner.

Sounds like a great way to experience the OLT Scouts11! PS I know what you mean about loud groups in the huts/on the track! I was out that way recently and couldn't believe how obnoxious so many of the people I came across were... they seemed totally oblivious to the fact that others might be in the bush for a bit of RnR :roll:
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 09 May, 2017 1:21 pm

Well. There are other tracks.

Really 'scouts'.. good on you..
But what part of the advice were you looking for, was it just the legalities?
So that's not a picnic table at Ducane, it's a helipad, same at SK hut, helipad. Some of the other sites you mention are former dispersed camping sites that get less use these days. 'Dispersed Camping', the general idea is that you don't then suggest and describe a list :roll: I'd wager you could find a reasonable campsite within 100m of any part of that track.

I tend to think that intolerance / the general level of noisy others out there is more an imagined imposition than real.
In all honesty and many times through, (with hundreds of others) it's only ever been that commercial hut at Windy Ridge that's been mentioned as notably noisy.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Tue 09 May, 2017 1:34 pm

Nuts wrote:Well. There are other tracks.
I tend to think that intolerance / the general level of noisy others out there is more an imagined imposition than real.
In all honesty and many times through, (with hundreds of others) it's only ever been that commercial hut at Windy Ridge that's been mentioned as notably noisy.

Sounds like you've had markedly different experiences than me Nuts, lucky you! On the topic of sharing the descriptions of campsites that are not 'publicly endorsed', you're right, I often forget the forum rules on this matter. Having said that, I imagine that the vast majority of OLT walkers will continue to use the huts or the campsites around the huts due to convenience and other social factors and I personally don't believe that knowledge of other areas to camp will influence many of them to do differently. But then, that's just based on my experiences out there which as I already mentioned, sound pretty different to yours! :)
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 09 May, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Dee,

Sorry, but just to add, in this context I mean 'imagined' generally, not intended as dismissive of anyone's particular experience.. that, like yourself, has that experience to draw on.

And say so on observations of those iv'e taken, not necessarily myself/ level of tolerance/ where i'd camp (for the environs, against unnecessary impacts or regulation not against or disputing individual opinion).

Maybe the numbers will never get high enough on that track (or from the implications for other places) to fuss over a few extra campsite scars or room for us all to express our individuality. True.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain