Medical Evac

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Medical Evac

Postby Lou » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:15 am

Planning our OT hike for December and trying to cover all bases, including something going wrong and incurring additional expenses.

Have any members ever had a medical evac from the track? If so, what costs were you billed? Did private health insurance cover any of it?
Lou
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Medical Evac

Postby Mark F » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:33 am

Rescue is free. Medical costs once rescued covered by Medicare/ private health cover. Ambulance (other than rescue) check your private health insurance/ambulance cover.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:50 am

Both rescue and ambulance services are free in Tasmania​.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby tasrider » Thu 04 May, 2017 12:49 pm

Tasmania ambulance services are NOT free for interstate and foreign visitors.

Although there are some reciprocal arrangements with some states.

Get insurance.
tasrider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Thu 04 May, 2017 5:09 pm

I agree with Mark F. If you have private health insurance it may be covered but need to check for inclusions/exclusions. I just had a look at mine which states:

"All our extras cover includes: Unlimited emergency ambulance

Includes emergency transport to hospital due to a sudden or unexpected event. Ambulance cover applies where the only practical way of getting to hospital is by ambulance.

You’re not covered for ambulance rides that aren’t essential, like transfers between public and private hospitals, moving hospitals to be closer to home or travelling from home to hospital for tests.

Tasmania and Queensland have State schemes that cover ambulance services for residents of those States."

Otherwise travel insurance may be another option, but read the conditions meticulously to ensure that you get what you need. I've found the canstar web site good for comparing those policies, at least to get a short list.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain