One week to go - critique my gear!

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: One week to go - critique my gear!

Postby Joel1982 » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 9:37 pm

Reasonable Success!

After a practice pack, I'm down to a starting weight of 18kg, inclusive of the bulky sleeping bag. Does not include the minimum weight of what I'm wearing on a nice day i.e. Tshirt, shorts, boots, hat, socks, sunnies.

Feeling comfortable for my start on Thursday!
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby HarryS11 » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 11:18 pm

Having a look at your list I can see a few ways to lose about 1.7kg off your base weight with a bit of diy and not spending too much money. Apologies for reiterating some points that may have been touched on already.
-Leave the day pack -297g
-swap thongs for some diy CCF slides -170g
-wrap duct tape around bottle, don't need inner roll -30g
-Leave the tent footprint -187g
-Leave sleeping bag liner -100g
-don't take contacts, use glasses as contacts can result in eye infection on the trail -30g
-Use ebook version of guide book/don't take guide book -168g
-Get lighter version of mug
-Take a DIY garbage bag rain kilt for those really wet days -270g
-Replace MSR whisperlite with DIY alcohol stove and Al foil windscreen - 400g
-Replace MSR fuel bottle with HDPE drink bottle (If you choose to use an alcohol stove) -80g

Total weight reduction approx 1732g

Slides:
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/46709/

Stove:
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Rain kilt
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/80505/
HarryS11
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 1:24 pm

[quote="HarryS11"]
-Replace MSR whisperlite with DIY alcohol stove and Al foil windscreen - 400g
-Replace MSR fuel bottle with HDPE drink bottle (If you choose to use an alcohol stove) -80g

+ 1 for this recommendation.
I use a Listerine bottle to carry metho - never had one leak.
Obviously label it so no one makes a bad mistake!

That way you can buy metho in larger sizes and it becomes very economical.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 4:52 pm

First post is dated 26 Feb .. and so 'we' are now officially beyond that 'One week to go' ... may be a bit late to add more suggestions.

I'll stat another thread on mine .. I have no firm time on it for the moment .. certainly not any time soon.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnabrother » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 1:04 pm

Warin wrote:First post is dated 26 Feb .. and so 'we' are now officially beyond that 'One week to go' ... may be a bit late to add more suggestions.

I'll stat another thread on mine .. I have no firm time on it for the moment .. certainly not any time soon.

looks like he would be having some great weather !!

hopefully we get similar in a few weeks
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 4:38 pm

Yup... forecast says sunny and warm for the next 5 days! Starting off tomorrow morning.

Small update...hired a S2S micra 3. 900g, so big difference!

Time to have a big dinner of fresh food....be my last chance for a while.
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pongo » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 6:01 pm

Enjoy the trip Joel!
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers

Postby warnabrother » Fri 16 Mar, 2018 9:33 am

how did you go Joel ??
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel1982 » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:10 am

Trip was awesome! Great weather, new friends, beautiful place...woild do it again in a heartbeat!
As far as my pack weight is concerned...I was comfortable with it the whole time. Relative to some on the track it was pretty light. Some people were quite unprepared and inexperienced with weights in the 25-30kg range. Or at least their circumstances dictated their pack weight (eg a husband carrying more than wife).
Discussed a few times with other soloists what equipment they would change. Here's my takeaway:
Wouldn't take next time: extra camera battery, 200g less scroggin, swap msr whisperlite for cheap gas burner (more for convenience than weight as i was usually first to start cooking and last to finish eating), gloves (for that time of year) because my fleece top had thumb holes to keep my hands warm, 250ml whiskey (no friends i met brought any drink and was not keen to drink by myself), thongs (swap for something warmer), guidebook (read beforehand thoroughly and bring the map to plan your day), bug spray.
Things i would bring: more toilet paper, gas stove, smaller pot for cooking, lip balm (forgot this and my lips were cracked and dry from the sun), knee brace (see below), one more tshirt, one more pair of socks.
Things I never used but would still bring: plb, toilet trowel, some first aid kit stuff, water purification tablets.
Even on warm sunny days the nights were cold. I slept in full clothing and thermals...sometimes even my down vest. The cold meant bugs were never an issue. Warmer footwear would mean more comfortable evenings checking out the stars from the helipads. Sleeping in the tent was warmer than the one time i slept in a hut (bert nicholls).
Between Kia ora and bert nicholls i had an old knee injury flare up. Something in there became inflamed and the ibruprofen helped...still, i had difficulties stepping down on one side. Less walking helped out a lot which means i had to change my plans - only one night at pine valley and took the ferry instead of racing around the lake. Taking my knee brace may or may not have helped prevent the injury or lessened the symptoms.
Highlights of the walk: labyrinth, view from pelion east, first up barn bluff in the morning, best star gazing on clear nights (surprised so few people did this!), listening to tassie devils late at night at windermere hut.
One good tip: only bring essentials back to your tent for the night. Sooo many people were harassed by possums and mice.
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain