looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.

looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby warnabrother » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 3:10 pm

So, just checking.. 90% chance of rain still means there is a 10% chance it wont rain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (83.48 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
User avatar
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue 02 Apr, 2013 10:09 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby MrWalker » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 5:00 pm

That's right. There are showers, not rain, so there must be gaps between showers where you won't get wet.
The 10 to 25 mm means there is a 25% chance that you will get less than 10mm rain where you are. Or a 25% chance you will received more than 25mm in a given spot in that area.
MrWalker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:14 am
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby highercountry » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 5:58 pm

MrWalker wrote:The 10 to 25 mm means there is a 25% chance that you will get less than 10mm rain where you are. Or a 25% chance you will received more than 25mm in a given spot in that area.


Almost, but not quite right.
Forecast 10-25mm means a 50% chance of at least 10mm and a 25% chance of at least 25mm. So there's a 50% chance of receiving 10mm or more and a 25% chance of receiving 25mm or more.
I'm being pedantic because I never knew this was how to interpret the figures, and now I do. Thanks.
http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog/209/right-as-rain-how-to-interpret-the-daily-rainfall-forecast/

Edit; Sorry, when I re-read your post it is also correct. Damn mathematics. :D
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 8:52 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby warnabrother » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 6:46 pm

Still means we're going to get wet :lol: :lol:
Oh well.. hopefully it clears up a little later in the week for at least a day or two
User avatar
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue 02 Apr, 2013 10:09 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby warnabrother » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 7:02 am

now we have RAIN :roll:

Capture1.JPG
User avatar
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue 02 Apr, 2013 10:09 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby Nuts » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 7:53 am

'Most likely in the morning and afternoon'.. :)
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 7722
Joined: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 12:22 pm
Region: Tasmania

Re: looks like I've got a wet weekend ahead of me

Postby warnabrother » Thu 22 Mar, 2018 8:22 am

Nuts wrote:'Most likely in the morning and afternoon'.. :)


LOL.. yeah thanks BOM :lol: - at least it will be dry at night :lol:

we've got a few spare days up our sleeve so may just do Ronny Creek to Windermere on Sat.. dry out on Sunday at the hut and then head out to Pelion on Monday.. we'll see
User avatar
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue 02 Apr, 2013 10:09 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male


Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests