Hut between Windermere and Pelion

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Hut between Windermere and Pelion

Postby dazintaz » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 9:07 pm

I believe another hut should be built between Windermere and Pelion. So many novice walkers are broken on the 17km Day 3 of the OT, Windermere is too close to Waterfall Valley and too far from Pelion. I understand Barn Bluff is a day walk from WV then on to Windermere however, many leapfrog the hut by not doing the side trip and then leg it to Pelion risking injury with fatigue by continuing on. If a hut or at least campsites were built around Pine Forest Moors people could be comfortable walking from WV, and those who choose to walk Barn Bluff sleep at Windermere.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hut between Windermere and Pelion

Postby Singe » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:31 pm

dazintaz wrote:I believe another hut should be built between Windermere and Pelion. So many novice walkers are broken on the 17km Day 3 of the OT, Windermere is too close to Waterfall Valley and too far from Pelion. I understand Barn Bluff is a day walk from WV then on to Windermere however, many leapfrog the hut by not doing the side trip and then leg it to Pelion risking injury with fatigue by continuing on. If a hut or at least campsites were built around Pine Forest Moors people could be comfortable walking from WV, and those who choose to walk Barn Bluff sleep at Windermere.

Well, there are some tight tent spots around Pine Forest Moore and a platform at Pelion Creek that's good for one or two small tents... Camping anywhere along the OT other than hardened pads around the huts is officially discouraged though of course.

I can understand the impulse - have led parties where inexperienced walkers suffered very loudly for most of that stretch :lol: they were never in any danger of anything other than sore legs though. Once we start building huts every 10km to accommodate novice walkers who want to skip an existing hut, where does it end? There are far more serious hazards, if parties can't plan their itinerary around their ability they probably need to find another walk or hire a professional guide...

There's a private hut on the southern side of pine forest moor. Amazing location with the view across to Pelion West...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:37 am

dazintaz wrote:I believe another hut should be built between Windermere and Pelion.

And if done then the people who stop here will want another 'halfway hut' for their following day ... and the rest of their walk.

With so many huts will the 'Overland track' be renamed 'Hut walk"? :)
Last edited by Warin on Thu 26 Apr, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 2:09 pm

Think of WFV-Windermere as a 'rest' day, all is well.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 4:01 pm

All part of the experience - cant make it too easy plus there are other tracks that are easier that folks can 'practice on' - ie Three Capes, then build up to Overland or Frenchmans, then the Southcoast. They should not all turn into urban highways. I think its important that there are areas where folks are pushed out of their comfort zone - its often the bit of the walk they talk about 'conquering' after they have finished.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tastrax » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 4:01 pm

Also builds you up for the climb the next day...
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 10:08 am

First time I walked the OLT I would have agreed with this.

But 17km really isn’t that far, and it’s an easier walk than day 1 despite the extra 4km.

I love Windermere and Pelion huts. They are the most picturesque hut locations on the track IMHO.

Windermere to Pelion used to be a much longer day, but now with track work you can really skip along pretty quickly.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 10:52 am

I find that if you walk into Windermere on the first day, it makes the walk from Windermere to Pelion seem more normal. Plus you avoid the track monitor nagging at Waterfall Valley. :-)

(Having said that, I rarely camp at either Waterfall Valley or Windermere... or Pelion, for that matter.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 11:19 am

Singe wrote:
Well, there are some tight tent spots around Pine Forest Moore and a platform at Pelion Creek that's good for one or two small tents... Camping anywhere along the OT other than hardened pads around the huts is officially discouraged though of course.

The platform at PC isn't really a tent platform, a nice spot but it's not a suitable location for camping.

I think there's merit in adding back a string of (proper) in-between campsites, (which doesn't relate directly to new walkers but) as a far better option than the inevitable growth of private lodgings, emergency shelters built (in the main) to help out their ill-prepared guests etc.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby philm » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 7:35 pm

Absolutely agree with no more huts but perhaps some tent platforms. Don't take away the challenges otherwise you ruin the experience.
You will always have ill prepared people regardless of what measures you put in place. You can't protect people against their own decisions.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby warnabrother » Tue 01 May, 2018 3:11 pm

17km is not a long day and the walk isn't hard..
if people got up early enough, they could take all day to walk it.. 8am - 5pm is 9 hours @ just under 2km/h.. if you can't do that, I don't know.. maybe they need to read the "warnings" of the OLT a little better

took us about 4.5 - 5 hours walking in 35mm of rain
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Wherever I may roam » Wed 16 May, 2018 2:05 pm

No more huts please. If you are properly prepared then it won't be an issue. If you are not prepared then don't walk it. Next thing you know people are suggesting a cable car...
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain