Camping on Mt Ossa

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Camping on Mt Ossa

Postby nothingwmn » Tue 29 May, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi Everyone.

I am doing the overland track next week. A thought popped into my mind this afternoon. How can I make it a little more exciting?? I have heard of people camping on Mt ossa. Has anyone on here done this before? any advice? is it an outright dumb idea? I have a -18 degree C Nemo sleeping bag, really good gear. good quality down jacket, thermal layers, rope to pull the bag up the few tricky bits. I have gone up Ossa in the past, so i know hat i am up for as far as the climb. I am doing the walk on my own and will be attempting this on my own. obviously this is weather permitting. if it is snowing or raining, i will have to give this a miss, but i was hoping to see if there was anyone who has done this.

Cheers,

Dane
nothingwmn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Camping on Mt Ossa

Postby philm » Wed 30 May, 2018 8:07 am

Given the sensitivity of the area although not prohibited it is discouraged. The area is pristine and having people camp there will have an impact. Yes others have done this but I would not out of respect for the environment. There are plenty of camping spots around there which you could use if you want to steer clear of the huts.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Wed 30 May, 2018 9:19 am

You hear of people doing all sorts of things.
Camping is not particularly dumb from a safety pov.. obviously frowned on environmentally as doing so is an accepted gesture in support of protection.
I guess, in 'frowning for the environment', one could feel a little bit 'dumb' discussing camping up there on an open forum.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby JohnR » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:00 pm

Out of respect for the fragile pristine nature of the Ossa summit, I think most on this forum would not camp there and would also prefer that you refrain from doing so.

As philm has highlighted, plenty of more minimal impact camping spots nearby.
JohnR
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby pazzar » Wed 30 May, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm reluctant to drink water that doesn't have a decent flow in it too, especially around high visitation area, so I'd be reluctant to drink the water out of the Pool of Icarus. It is only very shallow, so wouldn't take much to contaminate.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Singe » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 6:13 am

I've camped on the Pelion Gap decking; very low impact and a bit warmer than up the hill.

Will still tick the "exciting" box if it's a windy night...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain