Desktop version
Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.

Forum rules

Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15
Post a reply

Camping at Lake Rodway

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 4:12 pm

Just a quick one!
Is there any tent sites at Lake Rodway away from SK Hut?or is it only the tent sites close to the hut?
Also I’m just going in for one night to climb Mt Emmett,so any info on this climb from Lake Rodway would be appreciated!thanks in advance

Re: Camping at Lake Rodway

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 5:45 pm

Follow the track to the ridge running across from the cirque. Pick a line along open leads over the Anthill (which is pretty open) and then down and across the saddle to the base of the boulder field. Emmett has two summits and the one to the north is higher, so it's best to edge around the boulders a bit to the north and climb a bit more NE than E. Some people have trouble with scrub in the saddle - I didn't but maybe I just lucked out. Pay close attention to your lines through there.

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for that!Hopefully I can camp somewhere around the lake as I’m doing it on a weekend soon and I’m sure the hut and tent sites there will be busy,I’d rather camp away from the crowds.

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 6:16 pm

north-north-west wrote:Emmett has two summits and the one to the north is higher,.

I believe the southern summit (edit:SE) is higher - 1410m versus 1404m.
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 7:31 pm

Abels book points to the more south/easterly summit

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 6:49 am

Is my memory going haywire? I went to the southerly one first and then over to the other . . . *checks GoogleEarth* . . . yes, that's my memory going totally bonkers and getting compleetely turned around - the further southeasterly bump.
Sorry about that.

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 7:56 am

I’ve drawn a rough track on my map would this be close?
Attachments
FF254BF5-B16B-4FC1-A75E-AEB969B47B93.jpeg
I’ve drawn a rough track on my map,would this be close?

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:10 am

Finally found the GPS trace of what i did.

I kind of jigged more to the south over the centre of the saddle - less scrub and a good pad. You can goo over the top of the Anthill and, again, I found a good line doing that with easier walking than trying to sidle around on the steepish sides. Up to you.

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 12:34 pm

+1 for going over 'the Anthill'. Pretty sure the easiest way was over the top, or very nearly so. If anything, we may have slightly skirted the top to the north rather than the south (as you've drawn). As soon as we hit Emmett's boulders, I aimed for the high point, not going up as high on the NW bump. That worked well.
DSCN1806.jpg
Approaching the spot where the track drops down towards Lake Rodway, looking toward the Anthill & Emmett

Emmett has a bad reputation in some circles, but I think that's only deserved when ice or water make the boulders slippery. Part of that is because among all those boulders, there are not many with flattish surfaces. The friend I took was very cautious at first, but by the time we'd finished, she loved boulders. :D
DSCN1824.jpg
Approaching the summit of Emmett (with the Anthill, Benson Peak and Cradle)

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 1:24 pm

Awesome thanks,I should do it soonish then before winter comes!
Does it have a Summit cairn or marker?

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 1:51 pm

Definitely before winter!

I reckon this was the top. Just go till there's nothing higher. :wink: I don't recall there being half a dozen possible high points - as there often are.
Attachments
DSCN1831.jpg

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 5:11 pm

Cheers
Did you guys do it as a day walk or camp out somewhere?
I’m not really a fan of Hut camping!

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 5:30 pm

We camped at Scott Kilvert, before there were platforms. Now there are 3 now, I think. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and many of the usual boggy areas in the nearby forest were dry - probably tent-able. There's been some rain, but not a lot, I think. I'd still strongly recommend using the loo at the hut - lots of people don't use them in the Cradle area. :( :x It's hard to get far enough away from waterways/swamps near Lake Rodway to dig a hole anyway. I walked a fair way around the southern side of the lake, and I don't recall any decent tent sites. Hard to get a good view of the lake, too.

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 7:16 am

I did Emmett as part of a longer trip, reclimbing a few old friends and visiting a few new ones - Campbell, Hanson, Little Horn, Cradle, Benson, Emmett, Barn Bluff, Inglis. There was definitely camping involved.

Sat 02 Mar, 2019 10:11 pm

Ok thanks for the info everyone
Post a reply