Overland Track - Pack Weight Mega-Survey Thread

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: Overland Track - Pack Weight Mega-Survey Thread

Postby Biggles » Fri 09 Jul, 2010 9:11 am

north-north-west wrote:Sounds like you did a reverse of some of my favourite route up there. The climb up Clear from that side must be a gut-buster.

If you mean the route from the saddle where we camped, no, its quite a gentle, if persistent rise up to the bald (snow-covered) summit of Mount Clear, then up/down/up/down wildly all the way to High Cone and the Nobs. The knee-busting drop from the Nobs down to Clear Creek (Brocks Road) is the worst, second only to the loss of the route ESE at High Cone which can cause signnificant time loss.

Wasn't aware you are an ice-climber. Does sound a bit scary to me, but then, so did ordinary bushwalking until a year or so ago! :P

I actually use one trekking pole most of the time for my walking while getting well used to carrying varying pack weights, typically from 13kg to 19kg but latterly sitting comfortably on 16.6kg. This includes the weight of my camera at 2.3kg and small tripod (1.52kg). I'm not a snapshooter and actually am "at work" producing the next photos for my gallery/sale. If the pack weight is managed carefully to "trim to the fat", all is carried well and easily, but it is an unproven task over longer multi-day walks, that's why I'm getting another multi-day walk done at the Prom to assess a couple of things. Can always downgrade the big camera to a baby Hasselblad X-Pan I suppose...
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 09 Jul, 2010 7:00 pm

Biggles wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Sounds like you did a reverse of some of my favourite route up there. The climb up Clear from that side must be a gut-buster.

If you mean the route from the saddle where we camped, no, its quite a gentle, if persistent rise up to the bald (snow-covered) summit of Mount Clear, then up/down/up/down wildly all the way to High Cone and the Nobs. The knee-busting drop from the Nobs down to Clear Creek (Brocks Road) is the worst, second only to the loss of the route ESE at High Cone which can cause signnificant time loss.

Wasn't aware you are an ice-climber. Does sound a bit scary to me, but then, so did ordinary bushwalking until a year or so ago! :P

Obviously a case of down being worse than up. It gave me hell carrying the pack down there last time I did it.
Can't see how you could get lost on the way from Square Top to High Cone in decent conditions.. It's just a matter of following the ridgeline. The only hard thing to find there is the highest point of Square Top. Good camping on the terraces just east of High Cone, too, although water can be a bit problematic.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that, even though it'll be a daywalk and a light load. Still considering going down the other way to Low Saddle, although it's a long trek back around on Low Saddle Rd.

Not really. Just like lumpy things and if there's ice one had best be prepared. I've already come to grief a couple of times on the Bluff/Eadley Stoney section and was lucky to get away without serious injury. Not taking chances on MacDonald.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby flatfoot » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 5:57 am

Pack weights 25kg & 23kg for 7.5days.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby enduro » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks for your advice and post all.

I got back a couple of weeks ago from 9 days on the OT in Nov 2010 and ended up with a total 21kg pack (incl. water). This included 2kg of camera gear and about 8kg of food and water weight included. I ended up drying all my meals, jerky etc and vacuum sealing them up. In the end I had too much food and probably could have cut the 8kg down to 5.5-6kg and just been satisfied.

We had and excellent run of weather, 5 days sunshine two days solid, non stop rain (and hail) and two days dense cloud. The heaviest rain day was the day we climbed Mt Ossa - we were the only ones to do that. Though vision was down to 30-50m it was well worth the trip up there & a lot less difficult than I had thought.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tony » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 11:25 am

I did the OT in October 2004, just as I was beginning to look into lightweight gear, during the 5 days on the OT we experienced all seasons from sleet, very heavy very cold rain to brilliant windless sunshine and very strong winds. My pack weighed in at 17kg plus water carried which I cannot remember how much. During the walk the track was very quiet, while on the trail I only met 5 other walkers but more at night in the huts. I came across one person with 26kg pack and one with 36kg+ (he would not tell me the actual weight other than it was heavier than 36kg) this person also was walking with his very pregnant wife and young son, another carried over 25kg and she needed some help managing her blisters.

From my winter LW gear experience, these days for a similar wet/cold walk on the OT my pack would weight around 10-11kg, includes 5-6 days food and water.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:03 pm

When I did it I carried 22kgs for the 6 nights including water. That was with no real attempt to be light weight. I'm certain I would lighten my load a fair chunk these days though being a mum with a young toddler 7 day walks aren't on the agenda at the moment :-(

As for weather we were lucky generally. Great vis for cradle summit, then the southerly screamed through whilst on the cirque. We had light showers and snow the next day then crystal clear blue skies for the rest of the trip. There wasn't a cloud in the sky for mt ossa. Stunning trip
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flatfoot » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 5:42 pm

We got off the ferry at Cynthia Bay this morning. We finished with pack weights of 18kg and 14kg respectively. We had started with 25kg and 23kg respectively.

I think in future I will take instant porridge sachets instead of museli / granola for breakfast. I also packed too many snacks that I didn't eat.

I'm also going to see if I can get a lighter pack and tent. For myself, that combination weighs around 7kg.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby enduro » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 8:53 pm

flatfoot wrote:We got off the ferry at Cynthia Bay this morning. We finished with pack weights of 18kg and 14kg respectively. We had started with 25kg and 23kg respectively.

I think in future I will take instant porridge sachets instead of museli / granola for breakfast. I also packed too many snacks that I didn't eat.

I'm also going to see if I can get a lighter pack and tent. For myself, that combination weighs around 7kg.

I took 70g porridge (with coconut or dates and coconut) for each morning. A couple of mornings had 100g mueseli packed. Porridge is very light and quite hearty with and coconut it provided some fats and is a lower GI food source.

As for tent and pack weight you should be able to get a pack that weighs less than 1.6 kg quite readily (mine is 1.1kg) and the Mont Moondance 1 tent I took 1.4kg. With the weather we had in NOv 2010 I could have easily slept outside with a bivy and tarp for every night (weight total 1kg). Wouldn't have required the tarp even for 7 of the 9 nights out there. One person in our group only took a bivvy.
enduro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 5:26 am

flatfoot wrote:

Wow, that does seem a good place to start!! My Pack is quite heavy really, but it's strong. 2.3 kg. Tent is 700g, Sleeping bag 600gram and stove is 500g
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 4:33 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
flatfoot wrote:
. Tent is 700g,

OK... So thats not the akto... c'mon, come clean, you havent gone to the dark side?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 25 Dec, 2010 5:54 am

Nuts wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:
flatfoot wrote:
. Tent is 700g,

OK... So thats not the akto... c'mon, come clean, you havent gone to the dark side?

Observant bugger aint ya...
Not quite converted to the dark side yet, but it's started for me...

http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-las ... on-usa.php
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melot » Sat 25 Dec, 2010 8:52 pm

Just finished Cradle to Pelion and exit via Arm R Track ( ... could only afford 4days/3 nights as we had to fly back to Brisbane in time for Xmas)...
Walker 1 weighs 108kgs and carried approx 20kgs (at start of the trip)
I weigh 54kgs and carried 17kgs.
These weights include water and a Platypac of Red Wine... had a great trip. Wish we were still there! :D
melot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Penguin » Tue 28 Dec, 2010 9:36 pm

We did the walk a couple of weeks ago. Party of three with food for six days. We took tents; well a two man tent, a hooped bivey and tarp.

We came in at 15.5kg for me, 15kg for number one daughter and 19kg for her lad all including water. I was totally self sufficient, the other two shared resources.

We were thankful that we had kept the weight down as my daughter did a left lateral knee ligament strain. We came out the Arm river track. Lad and I had to carry out the bulk of my daughter's gear - so I was pleased we had pack semi light. Love my One Planet 1.5kg Shadow pack for track walking. We camped out when needed, the nuts were pretty full.

BTW we had full blizzard gear with us, which was good as it not only snowed un us but we had some very ferceous horizontal hail. Don't you love Tassie summer weather.

We had a great time. I have now added Pelion East to my list - but not much of a view.

Cheers

Penguin
Penguin

Postby Nuts » Tue 28 Dec, 2010 9:46 pm

erm...err... :shock:

anyhow....sorry to here you didnt make it, nice to meet up :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 6:35 pm

Penguin wrote: We camped out when needed, the nuts were pretty full.

Which tends to make them nuttier . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 04 Jan, 2011 6:38 pm

Penguin wrote:. the nuts were pretty full.

I've found I get the same problem when out walking for more than 2-3 days with no-one but smelly blokes as company.......
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 8:00 pm

Seeing as gear lists have been making the rounds again & I've been interested to see what most people are hauling about & consider useful I thought I'd share too. Also it's 42c here again & I'm out of useful things to do :(

Anyway, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread instead of starting a new one as I did make use of it some months ago.

Some notes on the list:
* I have not included my pocket knife (Victorinox Explorer, 100g) as it lives in my pocket not my pack
* I have not included my phone & wallet as I carry these every day
* I have not used the Arc blast on the OT, I used an Osprey Atmos, however, I'll be taking it when I next go
* The quilt is also new, I used a -1c bag last time & I was quite hot so I've opted to go for a lighter quilt & wear clothes to bed if I actually get cold.
* Some weights might be a bit sketchy, my scales aren't the most accurate

The list assumes some snow, hail, wind sleet etc for a few days at least & temps down to -5c.

The above is derived from my packing list (linked below), I just enter the number of nights I going to a place for & click print (I have a terrible memory & forget things if I don't have a list to tick things off). It tells me how many of each food item I need, how much TP to take & what weight to expect to carry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47bndjaw6o15u ... 20List.xls
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby davec » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 8:45 pm

43 here today as well so I'm getting my pack sorted for my march trip as well.
I'm also taking the h52. Why the backup? I guess it's new and untested.
I also have the same poles but will take something a little more sturdy for the trip. I broke one first trip out down at deep creek, but Paddys replaced them for me.
davec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 08 Feb, 2014 9:03 pm

davec wrote:43 here today as well so I'm getting my pack sorted for my march trip as well.
I'm also taking the h52. Why the backup? I guess it's new and untested.

I had the previous model and it performed very well, in fact I liked it more than the h52 in a few ways. It went missing half way into a hike once. I always hike with another person so sharing cooking gear and the like is workable but a torch is a little harder to share.

I've toyed with taking 2 poles, I only use it in mud as a probe or to ease the load on my knee when it starts to feel stiff. I think I could jerry rig something if worst comes to worst. I do agree that it feels a touch flimsy though.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 10:00 am

Solo in April. Took eight days to allow for dawdling and a couple of side trips. Also walked all the way - no ferry used.

Initial test weigh with no water came to a whisker over 17kg, with tent. So I relaxed and threw in a bit of extra this and that - Not Smart !!

I started at close to 20kg including 700mm water. Had maybe one days foods left at the end, which is about what I planned. Won't carry that much water next time and can probably trim a kilo or two by using a smaller pack, less robust tent/shelter, less gas for the stove, lighter shell.

My food could be a little lighter, but I like a days food in reserve, and I like a reasonably high proportion of ready to eat stuff. If I go in winter, extra clothes and a warmer bag will add a bit, but I should still be able to be at a track weight of no more than 17/18 kg.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Occasional_Walker » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 8:55 am

I returned just this Monday, two other walkers carried the tent while I carried the cooking equipment. My pack was 65 litres and filled to absolute capacity. Weight was 13.5kg when I checked it in at the airport.

I carried 1kg on top of that but if you're happy to stop and fill up when you run out there are plenty of creeks that allow you to get away with carrying half a litre.
Occasional_Walker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Girls' Brigade Victoria

Postby eggs » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 2:06 pm

I walked the OT with my wife in 2008.

Not sure what weight I was then, but my pack was 25kg. No stats for my wife, but maybe carrying 19kg.
We went through in April for 8 days. We avoided the boat and walked the length of Lake St Clair.
Trip report was here: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=758

This was my first major muti day trip, and remains my longest to date, though I may equal it this April.
[The plan is for the Traveller / Labyrinth / Lake St Clair area, not the OT.]
I was carrying too much weight - particularly with my level of fitness at the time.
But I have no memories of getting into any real difficulties because of the weight, but we were probably walking slower.

On that trip I carried a 5kg dome 3 man tent - more suited to car camping. We did use it once south of Windy Ridge while the new hut was under construction.
Next trip I will be taking a 2kg 2 man tent.
We had food for 9 days, but did not use the last day in order to get to the limited bus service at that time of year.
My pack will still be a solid 3.2kg beast, but I will probably only take a jetboil rather than the Trangia - particularly now that airlines can get very finicky with transporting liquid burners - even when they are empty.
I don't think we carried much water, but I will be carrying more camera weight this next time. Probably a tripod plus 3 lens.

Observations
Mid to late April was fantastic for the fagus that year. Hoping for more this April.
We noted a few huts with some profound snoring problems. I have been in huts before and since, but one night on that trip [Windamere] was quite amazing. How does someone keep snoring when things are being thrown at them?
We covered a few sections in parallel with a couple older folk trying to introduce a band of young boys to the wilderness, but they were determined to walk from one hut to the next as fast as possible so they could play cards !!
It got very cold - and batteries can get unhappy in the cold. Care was also needed when walking on iced up wooden boardwalks.
Someone early on "borrowed" some of our metho which left us short for the trip. We were fortunate that some locals doing a quick visit in from the Arm River Road gave us a top up at Pelion.
So keep a close eye on your cooking gear in a hut.
Echo Point Hut warned of vermin, but the string-through-plastic-bottle arrangement meant we could hang our food up with no issues.
If I did the OT again, I might consider the benefits of using a tent platform next to a hut.

It is true that all sorts wander the OT.
I have seen an abandoned tent flapping at Pine Valley with no floor and a stream running through the middle of it.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tigercat » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 8:37 pm

Walked as part of a group in June carried 7 days food and very little water, there was plenty of water around! Carried no tent but a light bivvy bag ,lots of warm gear,and some others in the group carried tents. My wt 71 Kg, pack wt 14 kg
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peter-robinson » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 8:58 am

I did the OT about this time last year, my first multi-day walk too.
I was about 80kg and carried around 20kg.
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 9:07 am

tigercat wrote:Walked as part of a group in June carried 7 days food and very little water, there was plenty of water around! Carried no tent but a light bivvy bag ,lots of warm gear,and some others in the group carried tents. My wt 71 Kg, pack wt 14 kg

When I did the OT in June I had a 4 season tent, snowshoes, snow shovel, fuel for melting snow, and 14 days food. Oh, and I had steak/sausages for the first two days.
I think it was close to 30kg.
Never again.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tan » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 8:22 pm

Greeting
I enjoyed an easy 7 day walk on OLT late September '13. Walked fully self sufficient (for all weather) and solo with 1 day reserve food. Me 65kg, Pack @ start 23kg, alot of track very very muddy. Nil concerns, just a lot of laughing to myself each time I fell over in mud. :)
Tan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 8:50 pm

Tan wrote: Nil concerns, just a lot of laughing to myself each time I fell over in mud. :)

Did you come across any (wo)man-eaters? I find them quite funny (in hindsight of course; at the time of discovery I'm screaming at the injustice and cold, clammy wet-ness).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davec » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 6:25 pm

Went for 9 days including a side trip to pine valley.
Pack weight 18.5 kg
My weight 75 kg

I could have saved some weight by leaving my wet weather gear at home as we had great weather for the 9 days ;-)
davec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tigercat » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 8:29 pm

davec wrote:Went for 9 days including a side trip to pine valley.
Pack weight 18.5 kg
My weight 75 kg

I could have saved some weight by leaving my wet weather gear at home as we had great weather for the 9 days ;-)

If you left the wet weathers behind it would have rained for sure!
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davec » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 3:28 pm

I know.
Doesn't it suck how it works that way?
davec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii