Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Postby gonetroppo » Mon 27 Nov, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Mike, chasing a quilt also if you could PM, thanks!
gonetroppo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 27 Nov, 2017 7:37 pm

gonetroppo wrote:Hi Mike, chasing a quilt also if you could PM, thanks!

I've sent you a PM, thanks.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Captain Pete » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Mike,

Great looking quilts, very nicely done. I noticed you used Membrane 10 on some of your earlier quilts. I was planing on ordering some samples from RBTR to see how they sew. How has your experience been with the material? Have you tried using it for the outer shells, or just lining?

Cheers,
Pete
Captain Pete
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 11:51 pm

Captain Pete wrote:Hi Mike,

Great looking quilts, very nicely done. I noticed you used Membrane 10 on some of your earlier quilts. I was planing on ordering some samples from RBTR to see how they sew. How has your experience been with the material? Have you tried using it for the outer shells, or just lining?

Cheers,
Pete

Cheers Pete, I think the Membrane 10 is a great fabric and the sewability (is that a word?) is very good for a fabric of that weight. The 10d taffeta that I now use is very similar to the Membrane 10, I'd say functionally identical in fact (if I had each fabric in exactly the same colour I don't think I could tell them apart). I've made quite a few quilts with the 10d taffeta for both shell and inner now and I think it works very well, a good option for reducing weight. I've also sent you a PM.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hyph » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi Mike,

I am interested in purchasing a quilt. Please PM me.

Cheers,
Tom.
hyph
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kymba » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Mike,
I'm interested in ordering one of your quilts. Could you please PM me when you get a chance? (I realise that you are probably enjoying some Chrissie holidays, so no rush.)
kymba
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi hyph and kymba, I've sent you both PMs. I am enjoying a few short trips away over the holiday period but I'll still be monitoring my messages and this site, just might be a bit slower to respond.

Cheers
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_b » Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:26 pm

Just wanted to leave a quick review of of Mike's quilt and hood.

I had Mike make me a SUL 3/4 length quilt where weight was an absolute priority. It came in at 258g for 4C. I pair this with my Montbell Plasma 1000 jacket (140g) for a summer sleep system, or a warmer jacket when it gets colder. Mike worked with me to get the exact dimesions right so it would fit with a Neoair Xlite Small.

Having now used it to walk the 1300km South Island of New Zealand on Te Araroa I can positively say it is excellent. I had 10D tafetta and 950fp down. I have no concerns about durability for the 10D. The 10D is super silky and soft. I also own a ZPacks -12C bag and I definitely prefer the 10D over their material, it is even lighter too!

I cannot recommend Mike enough for personal service, high quality craftsmanship, and reasonable prices (look at US vendors for equivalent quality, but much more expensive).

I also took one of his Primaloft Gold hoods. I chose a synthetic hood over a down one as my previous down hood had reached the end of its lifespan from oils and use. The synthetic hoods are not as puffy or light (although the difference in weight is essentially non-existent) however they certainly will last a lot longer. He offers both and you really can't go wrong. I would say be careful about the sizing of the hood as fit is very important. I also did not use the button he included for the neck so next time I would have that removed and just have the hood sewn through there to be even warmer. Often hood have large baffles which results in cold spots but I can say Mike has avoided this and I never noticed cold spots.

Overall I just simply can't recommend Mike enough.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby brenny17 » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Mike! Interested in purchasing a quilt, not immediately, but sometime in the near future. Would like to sort through some details from here on out though. If you could please PM me that'd be great :)
brenny17
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 9:39 pm

brenny17 wrote:Hi Mike! Interested in purchasing a quilt, not immediately, but sometime in the near future. Would like to sort through some details from here on out though. If you could please PM me that'd be great :)

Cheers brenny17, I've sent you a PM.

tom_b wrote:Just wanted to leave a quick review of of Mike's quilt and hood.

I had Mike make me a SUL 3/4 length quilt where weight was an absolute priority. It came in at 258g for 4C. I pair this with my Montbell Plasma 1000 jacket (140g) for a summer sleep system, or a warmer jacket when it gets colder. Mike worked with me to get the exact dimesions right so it would fit with a Neoair Xlite Small.

Having now used it to walk the 1300km South Island of New Zealand on Te Araroa I can positively say it is excellent. I had 10D tafetta and 950fp down. I have no concerns about durability for the 10D. The 10D is super silky and soft. I also own a ZPacks -12C bag and I definitely prefer the 10D over their material, it is even lighter too!

I cannot recommend Mike enough for personal service, high quality craftsmanship, and reasonable prices (look at US vendors for equivalent quality, but much more expensive).

I also took one of his Primaloft Gold hoods. I chose a synthetic hood over a down one as my previous down hood had reached the end of its lifespan from oils and use. The synthetic hoods are not as puffy or light (although the difference in weight is essentially non-existent) however they certainly will last a lot longer. He offers both and you really can't go wrong. I would say be careful about the sizing of the hood as fit is very important. I also did not use the button he included for the neck so next time I would have that removed and just have the hood sewn through there to be even warmer. Often hood have large baffles which results in cold spots but I can say Mike has avoided this and I never noticed cold spots.

Overall I just simply can't recommend Mike enough.

Cheers Tom, I'm glad the 3/4 quilt is working well for you and you've got so much use out of it in such a short time! The hoods have had a bit of a slow gestation, I'm happy with the fit and shape, just finalizing the sizing. As for the down vs primaloft I'm leaning a bit towards the down as the main option because the lofty feeling of down is hard to beat and I think the loft of down also helps give a bigger range of fit when it comes to sizing. the primaloft is also nice though. Hopefully I'll be able to make them generally available soon.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby carryless » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi Mike, and everyone else.

When Mike first started selling his quilts I pretty much straight away asked if a double quilt was on the cards, and despite the positive response from mike, he did mention several times that it would be a long way off. It took me an excessively long time to realize he was serious about it being a long way off, and even longer to convince myself it would actually be a good idea to give it a crack but I eventually did and so here it is.

I would like to thank you Mike for being patient with me while I badgered you with questions and helping me out so much!

The fabric is Mike's 10d Taffeta in burnt orange for the liner and 15d ripstop in acai purple and red ochre for the shell.

final weight is just over 1.3kg and should (hopefully) keep us comfortably warm down to -10c. It's definitely nowhere near the quality of Mike's or Simon's at Tiergear, or even just someone with actual sewing skills but I'm pretty stoked overall. I did create the design although I have basically followed the way Mike's look as I think of all the quilts out their at the moment Mike's are the best design, but It won't get tested until Tassie in June.
Attachments
20180217_171023.jpg
20180217_171045.jpg
20180217_171538.jpg
20180217_171637.jpg
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 4:42 pm

that looks incredible carryless! Very puffy and warm looking, the colours worked out great and the design is quite similar to what I'd look to make as a double. No doubt a pretty big project but I don't think it's taken you too long to get it done. How did you go about accurately marking everything out and cutting the fabric?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 11:44 pm

Looks great carryless!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby carryless » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 2:06 pm

undercling-mike wrote:that looks incredible carryless! Very puffy and warm looking, the colours worked out great and the design is quite similar to what I'd look to make as a double. No doubt a pretty big project but I don't think it's taken you too long to get it done. How did you go about accurately marking everything out and cutting the fabric?

I drew my plan up on paper before xmas and then cut out templates of plastic film I had laying around, 100 micron I would guess. I then made a prototype with old sheet fabric, which was partly to see if my plan could be applied succesfully - although due to the stretch of the sheets that wasn't going to be a great indication - but also to determine the order things would need to be sewn in, and the way things would need to be sewn. I still didn't figure out how the footbox could sewn without the seem showing but it doesn't look awful the way I did it so I didn't put as much thought into it as I probably could have.
With the actual quilt, the drawing and cutting of the panel was surprisingly easy, I used chalk to draw the baffle lines and that wasn't too bad though painstakingly slow. Sewing was difficult but I just went slow and it turned out alright, nowhere near as accurate as I would ideally have liked, especially sewing the baffles on to the shell as I struggled to see the chalk against the darker colour of the fabric, but all in all it seems functionally sound!

Neo wrote:Looks great carryless!

Thanks Neo :)
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Davidf61 » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 5:47 pm

Another thumbs up recommendation for these quilts. Used mine for about 20 nights now and loving it.

Well made/priced and functional. Best bit? I can roll around under a quilt and not have it drag against me or any clothing, so much more comfortable and restful, sleep quality improved out of sight.

This quilt and my Terra Rosa tarp combined, so pleased to [ in all honesty ] re-ignite my outdoor adventure passion......
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby weld75 » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Mike, I am interested in purchasing a quilt from you, would like to discuss sizing for tall person. Could you please PM me, when its convenient for you.
Thank you,
Greg
weld75
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:49 pm

weld75 wrote:Hi Mike, I am interested in purchasing a quilt from you, would like to discuss sizing for tall person. Could you please PM me, when its convenient for you.
Thank you,
Greg

Hi Greg, I've sent you a PM.

Davidf61 wrote:Another thumbs up recommendation for these quilts. Used mine for about 20 nights now and loving it.

Well made/priced and functional. Best bit? I can roll around under a quilt and not have it drag against me or any clothing, so much more comfortable and restful, sleep quality improved out of sight.

This quilt and my Terra Rosa tarp combined, so pleased to [ in all honesty ] re-ignite my outdoor adventure passion......

That's great David, I'm glad the quilt is working out well for you!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nors » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Mike
I am wanting to buy one of your quilts, are you still making them?
Cheers
Nors
Nors
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 5:47 pm

Nors wrote:Hi Mike
I am wanting to buy one of your quilts, are you still making them?
Cheers
Nors

Hi, yes I'm still offering quilts for sale and the current lead time is approximately 4 weeks.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby longandskinny » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:02 am

Hello Mike,

I'm interested in buying one of your quilts. However, I just created my account here and am unable to PM you. Can you send me a PM?

Thank you
longandskinny
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:22 pm

longandskinny wrote:Hello Mike,

I'm interested in buying one of your quilts. However, I just created my account here and am unable to PM you. Can you send me a PM?

Thank you

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hugolohrer » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 11:34 am

Hi Mike,

I'm very interested in buying one of your quilts. Could you please PM me? Also, is paypal available as form of payment?

Cheers
hugolohrer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 12:59 pm

hugolohrer wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm very interested in buying one of your quilts. Could you please PM me? Also, is paypal available as form of payment?

Cheers

I've sent you a PM, thanks!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sealegs » Tue 01 May, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Mike

Could you please PM me?

Many thanks!
sealegs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 01 May, 2018 9:18 am

sealegs wrote:Hi Mike

Could you please PM me?

Many thanks!

I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby silly-sean » Thu 03 May, 2018 5:57 pm

i mostly car camp to facilitate other kinds of fun. I don’t drive and often catch public transport in sydney to friends cars or the blue mountains. having a compact sleep system enables me to comfortably carry climbing gear. i am a restless and warm sleeper, and, having researched sleep systems, i decided that the minimalism of a quilt best fit my needs.

Willing to order based on discussing my requirements online, Mike suggested we meet so i could see some samples. Upon seeing the range of fabrics, i realised that the 15g ripstop would make a great inner for someone that didn’t want to go microlight, whom also planned to use it as a doona, the added durability was the way to go. We also decided to add more width to the quilt to facilitate aforementioned ultralight doona life. He also did helpful things like bringing samples of the 4 degrees quilt i wanted and its 2 degrees sibling.

There was no salesmanship, just commitment to making the best thing he could for me.

Noticing my love of lurid colours, to my delight choosing the ripstop for my inner and outer, meant mike could pattern them to make my chosen colour way more obnoxious.

I may have been lucky, but turn around comfortably beat his estimated lead times.

it packs down into nothing. i have been comfy in a tassie hut at 0, in a tent during a mild storm at 2 and outdoors on a picnic table in a rest stop at 4 all using an inner. never have i had to fully cinch down the straps to stay warm. if i thrown in the thermals and beanie this forum recommends, it seems like my quilt outperforms what was advertised.

its also an 11/10 for snuggling on the couch.
Attachments
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
silly-sean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Not a member (+$10 fee for temp memberships & insurance)

Postby Chafing the Dream » Mon 07 May, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi folks,

I ordered a -8º 850 hyper dry fill, zip/cinch footbox quilt from Mike several months back. I finally had a chance to use it on the South Coast Track in Tasmania. I'd like to give it a big thumbs up! The quality and warmth were amazing. There were no drafts or cold spots. I was hammock camping using a Sea to Summit ultalite insulated mat for back insulation. Temperatures only got as low as 10º and the quilt didn't miss a beat but the sleeping mat sure did! That'll be upgraded soon.

680g with stuff sack and pad straps and very, very compressible. Its now one of the least obtrusive pieces of hiking gear in my kit.

If anyone is contemplating ordering a Mike Quilt, it'll be well worth your while doing so.

Cheers

CtD

PS: Has anyone had experience washing and drying these quilts? What's the recommended method so as not to damage the down?
Chafing the Dream
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 09 May, 2018 10:54 pm

Cheers Sean and CtD, I'm glad to hear you're liking your quilts and getting some good use out of them!

Chafing the Dream wrote:
PS: Has anyone had experience washing and drying these quilts? What's the recommended method so as not to damage the down?

For washing the quilts you should use a down wash product such as those available from a few companies (Nikwax, Grangers and maybe others) and pretty much follow the directions on the packet. I prefer to use the gentle cycle on a front loading washing machine if possible.

For drying it helps a lot to have a sunny day, hang it out in the sun turning it over and shifting it around every so often so all parts get a chance to dry. Once it starts to feel fairly dry you can manipulate the down to break up any clumps and once it feels almost fully dry you should give it a good shake to help loft the down back up and even it out, and then leave it out to sun some more for good measure. Can usually be done in one good sunny day, especially if you have the HyperDRY down.

Apparently an industrial dryer on low heat also works well, may take a number of cycles. If the weather is wet and cloudy this would be the best option, otherwise I guess hang it up inside, point a fan at it and be prepared to wait a while. I'd only wash it if it really needs it and just give it a good airing and a bit of sun between trips.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lyndel » Sun 20 May, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi Mike,

New to the forum, but have a lot of great recommendations for your quilts. Looking to buy for me and my partner. Could you PM me?

Thanks!

Lyndel
lyndel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby PGE63 » Sun 27 May, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Mike, I'm interested in buying one of your quilts and a custom underquilt. However, I just created my account here and am unable to PM you. Can you send me a PM? No mad rush as the “geriatric gap year” thru Alaska and Canada is not till year, but keen to get all the my gear sorted and bug free well in advance. Peter E.
PGE63
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts