Tier Gear - change in direction

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Tier Gear - change in direction

Postby simonm » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:43 am

Hi all,

Since Tier Gear started off a few years ago we have steadily grown from, as one person wrote, "just selling rope and buckles", to manufacturing our own lightweight gear. Due to the increased demand for the products we make we have reached a point now where we need to make some changes and so Sarah and I have decided to pull back from the DIY side of our business to focus on manufacturing and retail. As such we have a sale on many of our DIY products.

Pulling back from the DIY gear will free Sarah up to assist more with manufacturing and also allow us to have a stronger retail presence with a focus on ultralight/lightweight gear. We have already begun stocking Australian made products such as Wilderness Wear and Campers Pantry and have other Aussie manufacturers in our sites. Supporting Australian manufacturing is a strong driving force for us, so we will support them where we can.

Another opportunity that has recently arisen for us is the opportunity to be the sole (at this point in time) Australian retailer for Evernew, and we may have some more exciting news with regards to this in the near future. Our first order with Evernew should be finalised soon. We will also continue to be the retailer for Dutchware Gear, Lawson Outdoor Equipment and we intend to re-stock Zebralight.

Sarah and I would like to thank all the DIYers for their support over the years, and we are regretful that we won't be offering this service in the future. We have not ruled out the possibility of offering DIY again in the future but we need to focus on other things going forward. If you do want too grab a bargain though check out our clearance/sale page - https://www.tiergear.com.au/11/products/clearancesale.

Have a great weekend,

Simon
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tiergear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Re: Tier Gear - change in direction

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 7:16 am

A pity as I was an occasional buyer of DIY gear from you.

Good luck with your new direction!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 3:23 pm

Well I just ordered some UL fabric Simon
Good luck with the newer side of the business
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 4:46 pm

Good luck Simon. thanks for the good service in the past.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:17 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:A pity as I was an occasional buyer of DIY gear from you.
Good luck with your new direction!

Thanks Chris. It is a shame I agree but it's just not feasible in the long term unless we put someone else on, which is some time off yet.

Moondog55 wrote:Well I just ordered some UL fabric Simon
Good luck with the newer side of the business

Thanks Ted. I appreciate it.

neilmny wrote:Good luck Simon. thanks for the good service in the past.

Cheers Neil.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 7:25 pm

Good luck Simon with your new direction. I have purchased both DIY and locally made gear from you and I look forward to making future purchases from you.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby andrewa » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:44 pm

Sounds a sensible decision. I did enjoy the facility to order DIY materials, but haven’t been making much of late, and they’re available from other suppliers. What I really did enjoy was the highly personalised service. You’ve been evolving a business, so it makes sense to get rid of the stuff that is time consuming and less profitable. Best of luck.

Andrew Allan
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Strider » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:56 pm

Fantastic to hear that your business is going from strength to strength Simon and Sarah. This does of course leave a gap in the market for a new supplier of DIY hardware and materials, and with clear demand it will be interesting to see who moves into that space. All the best with the transition :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks all.

Andrew hit the nail on the head. Selling DIY materials is time consuming with small profit, and requires huge investment in fabric and hardware. Whilst we did enjoy providing that service we would have folded as a business if we did not offer our other products.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:20 pm

Well done Simon! Very glad to see your family business evolving and maturing. Best in your continuing venture!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:28 pm

simonm wrote:Andrew hit the nail on the head. Selling DIY materials is time consuming with small profit, and requires huge investment in fabric and hardware. Whilst we did enjoy providing that service we would have folded as a business if we did not offer our other products.

I'll miss it! But I completely understand it too. I can't remember having such good customer service anywhere, let alone for tiny sales that don't even hit $5!! I didn't think that could be sustainable as a business. But hopefully it has given you a strong foundation of customers who know that your standards of quality and integrity are exceptional. I'll recommend your business to anyone who will listen! :D

Just a thought - I wonder if this forum could play a role in making at least a some items still easily available. Maybe it could be a labour of love (perhaps with a bit of pocket money) for any folks with more time on their hands - e.g. no longer able to do much walking, but still passionate about it. As we have had with Tyvek, maybe we could have different folks putting up the $ for a larger quantity of something, then selling it on to forum members.

Maybe we could even have a some sticky topics for in our Make Your Own Gear subforum for such items, and encourage folk to add alerts for little DIY items, as we have for bigger stuff on special in the Specials, Discounts and Adverts.

I also wonder if you might be able to provide some links on your website to some suppliers??

All the best for this next stage of your business. Thanks, Simon and Sarah, for what you've contributed to the bushwalking community.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks again.

It was those *&%$#! $5 orders that drove us over the edge! Only joking.

To be honest if people contacted us and asked if they could purchase some fabric we may be able to help out, we just won't be advertising it apart from right now.

I will think about a links section though that information is pretty easily attainable.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 2:30 pm

simonm wrote:To be honest if people contacted us and asked if they could purchase some fabric we may be able to help out, we just won't be advertising it apart from right now. I will think about a links section though that information is pretty easily attainable.

I'll keep the fabric in mind. :) Yes, info easily attainable by most, I know... :roll:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 5:24 pm

simonm wrote: It was those *&%$#! $5 orders that drove us over the edge! Only joking.

:oops: The current order in the cart is $9, is that any better :)

I had & can imagine the frustration. We have a lot of turnover of small (used) items that end up in a horde, as the time taken in selling them online, postage and so on is just too much. Even with perfect customers.

I'd be happy to wait a week for an order to ship, but not always. And I can imagine with DIY at least part of the buying decision, for some, would be getting stuff delivered 'yesterday'.

Good luck with the new directions.
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:54 am

Nuts wrote:
simonm wrote: It was those *&%$#! $5 orders that drove us over the edge! Only joking.

:oops: The current order in the cart is $9, is that any better :)

$9 is perfect :roll: :lol:

Seriously any order we get is very much appreciated.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts