Maps n Trax acquired by RallyTo

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 8:47 am

I'm pleased to announce that Maps n Trax has been acquired by another development company, RallyTo, The official announcement of the acquisition is at: http://rallyto.com/rallyto-acquires-maps-n-trax/

Version 6.2.4 of Maps n Trax is the last version that I've had direct input into. It's not yet released, but includes some crash fixes and other minor updates, including an iOS 8 GUI glitch in the main Settings view. The new developers should be able to get the next version released some time soon.

This app has been 'my baby' for several years and it is hard to let go, but I have not been able to take it as far as I would have liked due to many other constraints on my time and have other plans for the future that will require me to be less distracted by Maps n Trax development needs and support requests. I have high hopes for RallyTo's future plans for the app as they should have more time and resources to put into it than I was ever able to.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Maps n Trax acquired by RallyTo

Postby photohiker » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 9:15 am

Congratulations. Hope they continue to update and improve the app in the tradition you have set, Nik!

Can we see some pictures of your new Porsche? :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks. :-)

I reckon I could afford this Porsche now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Analog6 » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 5:42 am

I hope someone here can clarify a couple of points for me re Maps n Trax. Will it would suit the new series of Tasmaps 1:25000 scale. Thy download as GEOtiffs, so would it read them OK? I'm new to this GPS mapping thing and new to the forum too.
And can I pt the app on both my phone and iPad, or do I have to buy 2 copies.
Thanks in anticipation
Analog6
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanShell » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 8:13 pm

My tas maps no longer work with maps n trax. Does anyone else have this problem?

They used to load fine and I could save them for offline use but now they wont even load them online. Any tips?
People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but will never forget how you made them feel
www.dannygelston.com
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:34 pm

Congratulations SoaB! It's always an achievement to reach the exit. Well done and thank you for all the support you provided.

A point of note though, my latest Maps n Trax version no longer works under iOS 9.0 GM. It crashes on startup but vaguely remembered it similarly crashed under 8.4.1. Hope the new owner will rectify the issue soon.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 9:06 am

GPSGuided wrote:Congratulations SoaB! It's always an achievement to reach the exit. Well done and thank you for all the support you provided.

A point of note though, my latest Maps n Trax version no longer works under iOS 9.0 GM. It crashes on startup but vaguely remembered it similarly crashed under 8.4.1. Hope the new owner will rectify the issue soon.

Yes, I hope they sort these issues out. I had some great plans for the next major version, some of which were nearly complete, including better data management (more GIS-like, including all data as layers, and making maps from them on the fly, better editing, etc) and more importantly, better use of online mapping services (WMS, WFS, etc) to get capabilities of online services and allow the users to choose from them without having to enter long/obscure URLs.

I don't know if the new owners have any plans for this sort of thing or not.

I now work in GIS full time, so have transitioned it from a hobby (where I started off knowing nothing) to a profession where I hope to eventually become an expert - maybe. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 9:28 am

So I gather tasmaps no longer works for anyone now? I hope they support it, I sent an email to them asking about it so Ill see how I go.
People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but will never forget how you made them feel
www.dannygelston.com
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 3:15 pm

DanShell wrote:So I gather tasmaps no longer works for anyone now? I hope they support it, I sent an email to them asking about it so Ill see how I go.

I don't know and can't test, because I'm back to using my very old 2009 model iPhone 3GS, which cannot run any recent version of Maps n Trax. However, I believe that LISTmap still support WMS (and WFS) standards for internet map sharing. This is what Maps n Trax used for them, but it was an incomplete implementation that required the user to discover the long/complex URL for each of the LISTmap maps themself. So long as the Maps n Trax supports proper WMS (or enough of it), it should work.

(Info on WMS is at: http://live.osgeo.org/en/standards/wms_overview.html )
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 3:21 pm

Hang on... I just realised that you may be talking about importing Tasmap GeoTIFFs, not using LISTmap online and/or offline. I sure hope it still imports GeoTIFFs OK!

(I can't test for myself, as my current iPhone is about 6 years old and won't run the latest version.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 3:36 pm

No I'm talking about using WMS. It worked fine last time used it but there has been an iOS update since.
I use the long complex url.
www.dannygelston.com
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 1:12 pm

Looks like theLIST have explicitly and deliberately blocked anybody other than their own service from accessing this now, unfortunately. Eg, the base WMS URL for the 'Topographic' service which used to work, now gives a 403 error (Access Forbidden): http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcg ... pabilities

This is very disappointing, as they were beginning to do so well with being open with the public data, up to a point. :-(
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Fri 09 Oct, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 1:27 pm

And the most recently updated MnT version with improved bug reporting is still crashing on launch on my 6s under 9.0.2. No dice, server or not.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 1:57 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Looks like theLIST have explicitly and deliberately blocked anybody other than their own service from accessing this now, unfortunately. Eg, the base WMS URL for the 'Topographic' service which used to work, now gives a 403 error (Access Forbidden): http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcg ... pabilities

This is very disappointing, as they were beginning to do so well with being open with the public data, up to a point. :-(

...Although to be fair, public access to WMS is open to abuse and people could theoretically send it lots of requests for huge images which could drag down the performance of the service considerably, so although it's a shame that we no longer have this access, I do understand that it is reasonable of them to block it. :-(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 1:59 pm

GPSGuided wrote:And the most recently updated MnT version with improved bug reporting is still crashing on launch on my 6s under 9.0.2. No dice, server or not.

May need to delete your data to fix this. :-( Is your data all backed up somewhere?

MnT works fine on other 6s, 9.0.2 I've seen.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh! I'll try a reinstall then. Thanks.

Follow up: Deleted and reinstalled. Ran first time and then on subsequent starts, it would crash out on startup again. No good. Hope the new owners are looking into it.
Last edited by GPSGuided on Wed 07 Oct, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 8:07 pm

I had to rewrite it back in again

For Aerial Photography use the link below
http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcg ... rver/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}

For scanned maps like the 1:25,000, 1:100,000, 1:250,000 maps use the link below

For the default LIST map which is topographic use

PLUS remember it will take a while to cache all the tiles again
Cheers - Phil

Kiva Lender
tastrax
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks Tastrax. So it looks like they're still allowing TMS, but no longer allowing WMS. Odd. I wonder if they'll block TMS in future too.

PS. Note that in recent versions of Maps n Trax, you need to use square brackets, not curly brackets. So it would be:

Topographic
http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/Topographic/ImageServer/tile/[z]/[y]/[x]

Orthophoto:
http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/Orthophoto/ImageServer/tile/[z]/[y]/[x]

Scanned Maps:
http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Basemaps/TasmapRaster/ImageServer/tile/[z]/[y]/[x]

I've tested all three of these now, and it works. I've got my maps back! Thanks Tastrax! :-)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Fri 09 Oct, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:06 pm

WMS still works in QGIS so I dont think there is any blocking going on

http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcg ... /WMSServer
Cheers - Phil

Kiva Lender
tastrax
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 1:35 pm

tastrax wrote:WMS still works in QGIS so I dont think there is any blocking going on

http://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arcg ... /WMSServer

Argh! Looks like I had a typo in my URL - 3 "s" instead of 2.

I take it all back! :-)

Maybe the typo used to work, and they just fixed it. I'll have to check my original URLs list when I get home and see if they include the triple "s".
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 3:15 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Oh! I'll try a reinstall then. Thanks.

Follow up: Deleted and reinstalled. Ran first time and then on subsequent starts, it would crash out on startup again. No good. Hope the new owners are looking into it.

Probably should log a bug report with them. It's running fine for me (new 6S) so it may be an issue that's only affecting a small number of users.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 3:46 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Probably should log a bug report with them. It's running fine for me (new 6S) so it may be an issue that's only affecting a small number of users.

Yes, I think I'll need to do this.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 4:55 pm

Interesting - just tried on my iPhone 5C and no LIST topo maps (Tile service) using IOS 9.0.2 and MapsNTrax 6.2.9

Did all the usual things - shut the program down, shut the phone down, soft reset and still no LIST maps

Tile service works fine on iPad Air 2 on IOS 9.0.2.
Cheers - Phil

Kiva Lender
tastrax
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 6:04 pm

I worry that when SWs lose their champion and get acquired by a corporate entity, they lose their spark.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 9:29 pm

Alas at the moment there is no response from them at all

http://rallyto.com/rallyto-acquires-maps-n-trax/ >>>>>>>>>> Error establishing a database connection
Cheers - Phil

Kiva Lender
tastrax
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 24 Nov, 2016 4:47 pm

Nice SoaB! With the latest generation of smartphones, there surely is more capabilities to support more features. Look forward to hearing more.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cafeTercel » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 1:41 pm

What a fantastic app, in spite of it not being well maintained over the last 2 years. I just purchased it today, but am having a heck of a time uploading shape files or dxfs to it. GeoTiffs work great though! The user guide seems to have vanished. Does anybody here have any tips? SOAB - I will definitely buy your new app whenever it's available.
cafeTercel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 2:23 pm

I don't think it does dxf. Shapefiles should be in a folder and zipped to zip file. But best contact the support line for the app if you can.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cafeTercel » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks so much. All the best.
cafeTercel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby tastrax » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 4:24 pm

SOAB - How about you start a new thread for the new app - I have a couple of ideas for you....

Do we also need to think of a new name?
Cheers - Phil

Kiva Lender
tastrax
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts