Made to order ultralight down quilts

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Made to order ultralight down quilts

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 4:49 pm

This thread has been superseded and updated information on specs and options are listed in a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24995

Hi everyone, as some of you have seen from my threads in the MYOG forum I've been making ultralight down quilts for myself, friends, family and a couple of forum members over the past couple of years, a little over 10 quilts now. Recently I decided to take this experience and pursue making top quality ultralight down quilts for sale. Over the past couple of months I've been designing, optimising, prototyping and preparing templates for my quilts and I'm extremely happy with and excited by the results.

The design has a full length differential cut and is shaped to wrap around the body a little more effectively than a standard flat quilt design and has all the features I like best in quilts:
  • Fully insulated sewn in footbox, deep enough for your feet and lower legs to feel properly enclosed in cold conditions but shallow enough that you can move feet in and out without major rearrangement in warmer conditions.
  • Snap button to close footbox up further when desired.
  • Elastic pad strap system that keeps the quilt tucked under you when you shift around in the night and is adjustable to wrap more or less tightly around the user, for example to allow wearing of big insulated clothing. Uses flat buckles that generally can't be felt by the user.
  • Double snap button top closure and elastic drawstring to seal up the top of the quilt. The drawstring exits at the edge of the quilt, behind the neck/head of the user. This is my preference as I feel I can still easily reach around to tighten/loosen but you never have to deal with the drawstring in your face.
  • Top collar that extends beyond the drawstring channel and acts to block drafts and increase comfort when the drawstring is cinched up.
  • Vertical/longitudinal baffles which prevent down migrating to the edges of the quilt during the night. The user does need to ensure that the down is evenly distributed before use but I believe the vertical baffle system is more effective at preventing down migration if the user tosses and turns in the night.

LB1_1.JPG

The quilt lying on a standard sized sleeping pad.

LB1_2.JPG

LB1_3.JPG

LB1_4.JPG

Picture showing the pad attachment system, the position of the buckles on the elastic webbing can be adjusted to move the edges of the quilt in or out as desired.

LB1_5.JPG

Fully insulated footbox.

LB1_6.JPG

Double snap top closure with elastic drawcord.

LB1_7.JPG

Rip-guard triangle at the top of the footbox and a snap to close the footbox up a bit higher if desired.

LB1_8.JPG

Close up of the pad attachment system.

My plan is to start small, taking orders here on the forum and producing the quilts myself. Initially I will only offer a regular size quilt as that is what i have tested and have made templates for, but if successful I will definitely expand the range to smaller and larger sizes. I can, however, offer a range of temperature ratings, +4°C, -2°C and -8°C. These ratings have been determined by my own experience and careful comparison with the specs of other products on the market, they also assume an average warmth user wearing thermals with sufficient head insulation and a sufficiently warm sleeping pad. A range of fabrics and colours will also be available depending on what I have in stock and there will be a choice between 800 fill power white goose down (harvested from 'My Luxe' pillows) or 800 fill power HyperDRY™ water resistant grey duck down. Quilts will come with a stuff sack and cotton storage sack.

Specs:
  • Length: 183cm (72"). Fits users up to 183cm (6'), considering the user's feet and non-flat profile this will approx. come up to the nose of a 6' user.
  • Shoulder Width: 132cm (52") (measured with fabric pulled tight)
  • Foot Girth: 97cm (38")
  • Footbox depth: 43cm (65cm with snap closed)
  • Fabric: See post on fabrics below.
  • Weight: (With 15/20 denier shell and 10 denier liner)
      +4°C: 435g
      -2°C: 520g
      -8°C: 625g
  • Fill Weight: (800 Fill Power Down)
      +4°C: 260g
      -2°C: 340g
      -8°C: 440g
  • Price:
      +4°C: $330 (800FP white goose down), $370 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)
      -2°C: $350 (800FP white goose down), $400 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)
      -8°C: $380 (800FP white goose down), $440 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)

To order please contact me via PM. Quilts will be made to order and delivery will be approx. 4 weeks, payment is by bank deposit, 10% deposit on placing the order and the balance + postage before shipping. I'll offer a 30 day money back return period if you are unhappy with the product. Also, if anyone would like to come and see the product I'm based near Maroubra in Sydney and more than happy to show it off. PM to arrange.

*Note* The hang loops shown in the prototype above will be dropped for the production version.

Happy to answer any questions related to the quilts.
Cheers,
Michael
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Fabrics

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 4:50 pm

Fabrics:

I currently have a stockpile of a range of fabrics in a range of colours, all with DWR treatment. If you want to keep things simple choose your favourite colour combo with the shell coming from the back row of the photo below and the liner coming from the front row, or read on for more detail. The fabrics I have are:

• Argon 90: 15 denier ripstop ~32gsm, great shell material - Red (2 lots in stock), Black (1), Victoria Blue (1), Deep Purple (1), Dark Olive (1).
  • Argon 67: 10 denier ripstop ~23gsm, very soft feel, highly breathable, great liner - Black (2), Saddle Brown (3), Forest Green (3)
  • Illume 15: 15 denier ripstop ~32gsm, great shell material, identical to Argon 90 - Macaw Green (3), Burnt Orange (3)
  • Hyper D 1.0: 20 denier diamond ripstop ~34gsm, great shell material - Moroccan Blue (3)
  • Membrane 10: 10 denier taffeta ~23gsm, very soft feel, great liner - Navy (3), Coyote Brown (3), Blaze Orange (1), Olive Yellow (1)
  • Nylon Taffeta 1.0: 20 denier taffeta ~34gsm, soft feel, great for slightly heavier liner fabric - Racing Red (1)
  • Impetus 1.0: 15 denier mini ripstop ~34gsm, soft feel, great for slightly heavier liner fabric - Black (1)

fabrics_1.JPG

Back Row: Argon 90 Black, Dark Olive, Deep Purple, Illume 15 Macaw Green, Burnt Orange, Argon 90 Victoria Blue, Hyper D 1.0 Moroccan Blue, Argon 90 Red
Front Row:Argon 67 Forrest Green, Saddle Brown, Black, Membrane 10 Olive Yellow, Coyote Brown, Navy, Blaze Orange, Nylon Taffeta 1.0 Racing Red, Impetus 1.0 Black

My standard recommendation would be to use a 15 or 20 denier fabric (Argon 90, Illume 15 or Hyper D 1.0) for the shell and a 10 denier fabric (Argon 67, Membrane 10) for the liner. This 'feels right' to me and is a good ballance, the 10 denier fabrics (Argon 67 and Membrane 10) are very soft and feel great as a liner but feel softer than is conventional for a shell material. I believe they are strong and durable enough to use as a shell so users looking for minimum weight can save ~25g by using a 10 denier fabric for both shell and liner but I think most users will prefer a slightly heavier fabric for the shell. If you wish to use a slightly heavier fabric for the liner then the Nylon Taffeta 1.0 and Impetus 1.0 have a soft feel and are good options at a weight penalty of ~25g.

The relative breathability/wind resistance the fabrics line up like this:

Most breathable (least wind resistance): Argon 67 > Argon 90/ Illume 15 >(small difference) Membrane 10 >(small difference) Hyper D, Impetus 1.0 > Nylon Taffeta 1.0. IMO all the fabrics are in the good range for general use, maybe the Argon 67 would be a bit low on wind resistance if used as a shell material without an enclosed shelter.

If you want a specific fabric I don't have or want a different colour (that's available from suppliers like Ripstop by the Roll or Dutchware Gear or Tier Gear) Let me know and I may be able to get it as an extra cost option or add it to a future fabric order if it's from a supplier I'm already going to order from.

Once again, feel free to ask questions!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts

Postby Strider » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 5:17 pm

Fantastic! Do you have a brand name in mind, Mike?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 5:32 pm

Well I've been totally focussed on the product so far so I haven't come up with a brand name yet (any ideas?) but I'll certainly need to pay a lot more attention to that sort of stuff before looking for a wider audience.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:01 pm

Well this certainly has my attention. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is glad you're starting to sell these.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby nq111 » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:26 pm

Darn they do look good! And I agree on the baffle style being superior.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement guys! Well I've already got an order! Going to start constructing a -8°C quilt with the HyperDRY down in Macaw Green and Navy (very similar to the Lime Green and Navy quilt pictured above) very soon.

Fire off any questions or comments you might have, happy to discuss topics such as fabrics, ratings, fit, design, construction, colour combos or whatever else you can think of.

Cheers,
Michael
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 11:27 pm

Wow.

They look amazing.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby simonm » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 5:39 am

Say goodbye to the outdoors for a while, I think you may be busy.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tiergear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 7:58 am

Let me know when you're ready to make a short quilt.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby gayet » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:32 am

Any chance of a slight tweak to get above the nose of a 6ft person?? :)
gayet

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 10:02 am

I'm definitely keen to do quilts in the larger and smaller size ranges but there's quite a lot of detail in the design with how the construction comes together and really to do other sizes needs a bit of design work and making new templates. So I'll be working on that in the background but I wanted to make a bit of a start and get some quilts out there before investing the time in filling out the range, setting up a website and all that. I need to dip my toes in the water and see how production is going to go, at the moment I'm confident the quality is top notch but I need to streamline production and gain confidence that it's all going to be viable (or not).

Another thing, even if you're not currently interested in ordering a quilt I'd love to hear what colour combos you think would look great as I may start to pre-make some quilts to gain batch efficiency if I have time. I've done a blue shell and brown liner on a previous quilt and I know that looks great, as does red shell and black liner. I'd like to explore some new colour combos and I'd love to hear any opinions :)
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 2:48 pm

undercling-mike wrote:I'd like to explore some new colour combos and I'd love to hear any opinions :)

Hawthorn brown and gold.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby walkon » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm the opposite to nnw, let me know when you make one for someone 6'4".
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 3:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Hawthorn brown and gold.

Irrespective of any team allegiances I think this would be a great combo. The saddle brown or Coyote brown would be a good match but for the gold there's only the spectra yellow Hyper D 1.0 (Don't have any, but available from RBTR), I'd like to see Cadmium Yellow, which I think would be a better match.

walkon wrote:I'm the opposite to nnw, let me know when you make one for someone 6'4".

Don't worry, I won't sit there quietly when I'm ready to go with other sizes :)
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 3:42 pm

I really liked the navy and brown combo you previously did, but I absolutely love the navy and lime green combo. I think if I bought one of these quilts I'd like some vibrant and contrasting colours. I currently have an all black quilt, but I really love the outrageously vibrant colours.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 3:57 pm

Somehow I've ended up with two of my bags having a black outer. It sucks big time! Especially when you place something black on it as well, also sucks up the light so yeah my next bag will be back to bright colours.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Penguin » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:10 pm

And to think I have only ordered an enlightened quilt last week. Look great Michael, would have happily ordered yours in its place. Love the design principles after hunting around the web.

P
Penguin

Postby peregrinator » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm

Penguin wrote:And to think I have only ordered an enlightened quilt last week. Look great Michael, would have happily ordered yours in its place. Love the design principles after hunting around the web.

P

I also got an EE not long ago but would certainly have got one of yours instead had that been possible. Impressive looking product and the information you provide is very good. Hope it all goes well.
peregrinator

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm sure you guys will enjoy your EE quilts, they're a great product too.

I'm feeling the brighter colours as well. I remember buying fabric for my first myog quilt and it was no choice but black and grey for the stuff I got... Things are much better now.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 1:24 pm

Something for you to think about too
A couples quilt like the Nunatak one
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 3:16 pm

These look amazing, Michael! Love your work!

Just for an insight into colours - I chose aqua (outside) and charcoal (inside) for my EE quilt which, in my opinion (FWIW), looks really good.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 3:56 pm

That could be something to think about Moondog, but well down the track at this stage. I'd need to go through product development and really understand what makes a double quilt work.

Aqua and Charcoal does sound like an interesting combo, and one that should work really well. I think if you have a lighter, brighter colour like aqua and combine it with black the contrast might be a bit too high for some but using charcoal instead softens the contrast and lets the lighter colour stand out. That said, a lot of times the black works well too.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 6:59 pm

What makes a double quilt work is the "Cuddle Factor" ROFL
I have always like Roger Caffins take on sleeping bags and quilts and a big double quilt is huge bang for buck
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dutch » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 7:57 pm

These look very impressive *thought bubble appears over head; current CCards, up coming expenses, weight savings...* :mrgreen:
Dutch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DanShell » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 9:20 am

If I was to have my time again (I own an EE quilt) I would go with Yellow and Black :) Id also ask to have the baffles that cover me hold more down than the ones that effectively wrap under me.
People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but will never forget how you made them feel
www.dannygelston.com
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 4:07 pm

This is awesome. I love seeing more stuff being made locally and these look gorgeous. I really like the feature set. At some point I intend to replace my EE quilt with the karo baffles. The down ends up down the sides way too easily.
cams

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: High and Wide

Postby pfeutry » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 8:54 pm

Looks awesome, I wish you were producing double quilts already, as moondog said, the cuddle factor is what's most important :mrgreen:
Please PM me once you start making those.
pfeutry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MacMan » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 6:38 am

Well done for deciding to get something off the ground locally.

In relation to colours, I recently ordered an EE quilt, and puzzled over this one. I went with orange on the inside, black outside. I've always liked having a dark coloured bag so that it gets warmer when baked in the sun. If there's time to do so, draping it over something dark-side upwards to dry a bit before packing makes for a better second night's sleep.

Had there been the option to buy locally, I certainly would have preferred to do so.
MacMan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Sandbars » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 8:27 am

pfeutry wrote:Looks awesome, I wish you were producing double quilts already, as moondog said, the cuddle factor is what's most important :mrgreen:
Please PM me once you start making those.

adding another order for a double quilt. :mrgreen:
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Next

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts