The design has a full length differential cut and is shaped to wrap around the body a little more effectively than a standard flat quilt design and has all the features I like best in quilts:
- Fully insulated sewn in footbox, deep enough for your feet and lower legs to feel properly enclosed in cold conditions but shallow enough that you can move feet in and out without major rearrangement in warmer conditions.
- Snap button to close footbox up further when desired.
- Elastic pad strap system that keeps the quilt tucked under you when you shift around in the night and is adjustable to wrap more or less tightly around the user, for example to allow wearing of big insulated clothing. Uses flat buckles that generally can't be felt by the user.
- Double snap button top closure and elastic drawstring to seal up the top of the quilt. The drawstring exits at the edge of the quilt, behind the neck/head of the user. This is my preference as I feel I can still easily reach around to tighten/loosen but you never have to deal with the drawstring in your face.
- Top collar that extends beyond the drawstring channel and acts to block drafts and increase comfort when the drawstring is cinched up.
- Vertical/longitudinal baffles which prevent down migrating to the edges of the quilt during the night. The user does need to ensure that the down is evenly distributed before use but I believe the vertical baffle system is more effective at preventing down migration if the user tosses and turns in the night.
The quilt lying on a standard sized sleeping pad.
Picture showing the pad attachment system, the position of the buckles on the elastic webbing can be adjusted to move the edges of the quilt in or out as desired.
Fully insulated footbox.
Double snap top closure with elastic drawcord.
Rip-guard triangle at the top of the footbox and a snap to close the footbox up a bit higher if desired.
Close up of the pad attachment system.
My plan is to start small, taking orders here on the forum and producing the quilts myself. Initially I will only offer a regular size quilt as that is what i have tested and have made templates for, but if successful I will definitely expand the range to smaller and larger sizes. I can, however, offer a range of temperature ratings, +4°C, -2°C and -8°C. These ratings have been determined by my own experience and careful comparison with the specs of other products on the market, they also assume an average warmth user wearing thermals with sufficient head insulation and a sufficiently warm sleeping pad. A range of fabrics and colours will also be available depending on what I have in stock and there will be a choice between 800 fill power white goose down (harvested from 'My Luxe' pillows) or 800 fill power HyperDRY™ water resistant grey duck down. Quilts will come with a stuff sack and cotton storage sack.
- Length: 183cm (72"). Fits users up to 183cm (6'), considering the user's feet and non-flat profile this will approx. come up to the nose of a 6' user.
- Shoulder Width: 132cm (52") (measured with fabric pulled tight)
- Foot Girth: 97cm (38")
- Footbox depth: 43cm (65cm with snap closed)
- Fabric: See post on fabrics below.
- Weight: (With 15/20 denier shell and 10 denier liner)
- +4°C: 435g
- Fill Weight: (800 Fill Power Down)
- +4°C: 260g
- +4°C: $330 (800FP white goose down), $370 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)
-2°C: $350 (800FP white goose down), $400 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)
-8°C: $380 (800FP white goose down), $440 (800FP HyperDRY™ grey duck down)
To order please contact me via PM. Quilts will be made to order and delivery will be approx. 4 weeks, payment is by bank deposit, 10% deposit on placing the order and the balance + postage before shipping. I'll offer a 30 day money back return period if you are unhappy with the product. Also, if anyone would like to come and see the product I'm based near Maroubra in Sydney and more than happy to show it off. PM to arrange.
*Note* The hang loops shown in the prototype above will be dropped for the production version.
Happy to answer any questions related to the quilts.