Made to order ultralight down quilts

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:20 pm

north-north-west wrote:The orange is fine but I'm not a fan of the combo with blue. I'll probably opt for red and a dark olive (if available).

Which colours for the outer/inner?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:13 pm

Red on the outside, but I prefer a darker inner. Not that colour is crucial.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:25 pm

Hey Mike,

Been wondering, have you given any thought to a quilt-friendly inner sheet? I've decided that it's worth the weight to keep my spiffy quilt clean, and if it's cold, I'm quite happy to have the sewn up sheet. But when it's warmer, I'd rather take advantage of the toss-and-turn-friendly aspect of a quilt.

I've used a cotton one - part of a fitted sheet - to go over me, and will eventually go for silk. But it was hard to keep it in place. Toying with using flat buckles similar to the ones you use for the quilt, but I can't quite figure out how/where to attach what to what.

I've also used a small sheet tucked around my mat when car camping. But the top sheet is the main one I'm after, to keep my grubbiness, especially oily hair :roll: off the quilt on multi-day walks. I can handle sleeping directly on the mat if necessary.

PS Saving up for a short summer quilt when it comes out. :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:32 pm

Torts:
I find the best way to keep the grubby, oily hair from soiling the bag is to wear a Buff. Lightweight, small, and incredibly versatile. I usually put it into the 'kerchief' position for nights. Days it's either a neck warmer, a lightweight beanie, a saharienne style cap, a hood . . . whatever is needed.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks NNW. Been toying with that idea too. Trouble is, I really love my light weight layered head gear. And I think merino takes a bit long to dry. I guess I could try using my polypro balaclava in beanie mode.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:05 pm

undercling-mike wrote:That is some advanced planning biggbird! The long/short versions have unfortunately taken me a lot longer to make available than I first hoped but 2018 is a pretty decent bet :)

The blue/orange combo is very nice and one I'm sure I'll be doing more of!

To be fair, it's a planned 6 months or so off, which takes a bit of organising when you have two people who work full time and study... But it does make me sound a little sad, doesn't it :P
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Bogong Moth » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:24 am

Sorry for the thread drift....

The principal way I manage my nearly-waist-length hair in the outdoors (other than controlling it in a braid!) is minimal washing for the rest of the time. Over about a year and a half I slowly reduced my washing interval from daily to about once every ten days, although I rinse it with water in between if I get very sweaty etc. The more one washes the scalp, the more oil it'll produce. So nowadays I wash my hair the day before, and I'm good for at least a fortnight or so as long as I can dunk my head under water somewhere once in a blue moon :lol:
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 8:20 am

So how is business, Mike?

With the AUD at 75c and predicted to drop further to around 60c, I see a lot of forum members heading your way for their quilt needs.

Hopefully all the hard work is starting to pay dividends for you.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Giddy_up » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:32 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:So how is business, Mike?

With the AUD at 75c and predicted to drop further to around 60c, I see a lot of forum members heading your way for their quilt needs.

I assume Mike sources all his raw products offshore and freights them here. 60 cents + freight will be quite debilitating I would think!
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 4:45 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey Mike,

Been wondering, have you given any thought to a quilt-friendly inner sheet? I've decided that it's worth the weight to keep my spiffy quilt clean, and if it's cold, I'm quite happy to have the sewn up sheet. But when it's warmer, I'd rather take advantage of the toss-and-turn-friendly aspect of a quilt.

it'd certainly possible to make a quilt shaped inner sheet for the purpose of keeping the quilt a bit cleaner, sleeping on top of the pad or in combination with a pad fitted sheet for cases where absolute lightest weight isn't the priority. You'd probably want a way to keep it attached to the edges of the quilt so it stays aligned and probably the easiest way to do it would be to use some small safety pins.

I'm planning to investigate offering accessories such as inner sheets and perhaps more imminently insulated hoods. Anyway, I'll be looking into various designs and may be able to offer some unique ones when the time comes. On the other hand it wouldn't be a complicated DIY project to make one either.

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:So how is business, Mike?

It's been going well, I've had a steady stream of orders and have been working behind the scenes to optimise all the processes and ready the other sizes and designs. Balancing that with constructing the quilts has meant it's all gone a bit slower than I initially hoped. Basically I've gone for the slow build up, only advertising here on the forum so I can get my feet wet and see how viable it can be. There's still a lot of work to be done but the response has been overwhelmingly positive and I have a lot of confidence in the product so I will be pushing ahead with it. No doubt there will be some challenges and growing pains ahead but I really appreciate the support I've received from the community here so far.

The exchange rate is an interesting question, I do source my materials from overseas (either directly or indirectly) so if our dollar falls material costs will go up, but so will the cost of all other imported goods. I may also be able to market to overseas customers with a strong value proposition if the AUD goes lower. On the other hand if the AUD was above parity with the USD again I may be able to lower prices a bit but not as much as the reduction in cost of importing gear from the US cottage manufacturers for example.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby carryless » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 9:48 pm

Mike, hypothetically if I wanted to get the best of the best, and ordered my own 950 fill down from downlinens (which it seems is Allied's Hyperdry down) and sent it to you, would you be able to use that instead of your 800 fill hyperdry?

It would throw off some of your weight/warmth calculations so I can understand if that wasn't something you'd want to do, it just a thought I had.
carryless
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:25 pm

carryless wrote:Mike, hypothetically if I wanted to get the best of the best, and ordered my own 950 fill down from downlinens (which it seems is Allied's Hyperdry down) and sent it to you, would you be able to use that instead of your 800 fill hyperdry?

It would throw off some of your weight/warmth calculations so I can understand if that wasn't something you'd want to do, it just a thought I had.

This is something I'd be more than happy to do. In terms of things that are relatively easy to customise, changing the fill type, fill amount, baffle height and fabric are all pretty simple. If anyone wants to use a fill type or fabric that I'm not usually carrying then send me a message and we can come to an agreement where either you pay the extra cost and I source the materials or you send me materials and pay a reduced price.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Sat 16 Apr, 2016 2:22 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
Tortoise wrote:Hey Mike,

it'd certainly possible to make a quilt shaped inner sheet for the purpose of keeping the quilt a bit cleaner, sleeping on top of the pad or in combination with a pad fitted sheet for cases where absolute lightest weight isn't the priority. You'd probably want a way to keep it attached to the edges of the quilt so it stays aligned and probably the easiest way to do it would be to use some small safety pins.

I'm planning to investigate offering accessories such as inner sheets and perhaps more imminently insulated hoods. Anyway, I'll be looking into various designs and may be able to offer some unique ones when the time comes. On the other hand it wouldn't be a complicated DIY project to make one either.

Not trying to deprive Mike of cross selling opportunities :) , BUT, I have simply been using my silk sleeping bag liner with mine. Works fine. Easy !!

As NNW said, the liner doesn't help with hair stains. Some sort of head covering is the go if that is an issue.
stry

Region: Victoria

Postby Gumby » Tue 03 May, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Really Interested in one of your quilts, but I just joined the forums and dont seem to have the ability to PM you. Do you have an email I can contact you at? or maybe if you PM me I can reply to that? Cheers!
Gumby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 03 May, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi mate, I've sent you a PM, so you hopefully can PM me in reply now.

Cheers

Gumby wrote:Hi Mike,

Really Interested in one of your quilts, but I just joined the forums and dont seem to have the ability to PM you. Do you have an email I can contact you at? or maybe if you PM me I can reply to that? Cheers!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby leo » Wed 11 May, 2016 10:42 am

Hi Mike, I'm new to the forum so am unable to message you directly. Have you started making "small" sized ultralight quilts yet???? Thanks
leo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mlowe » Tue 17 May, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi Mike

Can I trouble you to PM me too so I can reply please. Another new forum member...Cheers, Michael
mlowe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby simjo » Mon 23 May, 2016 10:52 pm

Paid my final amount to Mike today. Will be using it this weekend up Mt Barney - all things going well!
simjo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hiker » Fri 27 May, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Mike
Could you PM me. I am new to forum.
hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:55 pm

I just wanted to thank you all for your continued support! Any new members who can't send private messages should just post a message in this thread and I'll PM you.

I'd also like to announce that the fully opening zip and drawcord footbox option is available for order.

For those wanting a longer or shorter quilt option I apologise that I haven't yet been able to offer them. I've had some setbacks getting templates made and will maybe have to go back to hand making them (which is quite time consuming). I'm working on it but can't make any promises about delivery times at this stage.

Finally, just some pictures of the latest quilts to go out with zip and drawcord footboxes. A +4C quilt in burnt orange and navy and a -8C in lime green and racing red.
Attachments
Photo editing_Cloud20160528.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_1.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_1.jpg (225.61 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_2.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_2.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_6.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_6.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_4.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_4.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_5.jpg
Photo editing_Cloud20160528_5.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:47 pm

Looks like the zip & drawcord option is proving to be popular.

I've just placed an order and am very excited !!
Eremophila
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pfeutry » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm the lucky owner of the green/red one. I haven't had the chance to take it on a trip yet, but I'm already extremely happy with the product! Looks awesome, feels very warm, very professional finishing :mrgreen:
Thanks Mike
pfeutry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 31 May, 2016 11:11 pm

pfeutry wrote:I'm the lucky owner of the green/red one. I haven't had the chance to take it on a trip yet, but I'm already extremely happy with the product! Looks awesome, feels very warm, very professional finishing :mrgreen:
Thanks Mike

Thanks! I hope you get to take it out on many great trips!

Eremophila wrote:Looks like the zip & drawcord option is proving to be popular.

I've just placed an order and am very excited !!

Yes, the zip and drawcord footbox is proving to be popular for the extra flexibility. I think it's a good option and I really want to make myself one for "research" purposes.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ll25a » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 8:56 am

Hi Mike can you PM me thanks another new member cheers Christopher
ll25a
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 12:26 pm

ll25a wrote:Hi Mike can you PM me thanks another new member cheers Christopher

I've PM'd you, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dynamic_knight » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Mike

New member here can you please pm me.

Thanks
Tom.
Dynamic_knight
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby whitefang » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 10:21 pm

It looks like word of your quilts is spreading, Mike. There seems to be quite a few new members to the forum just looking to get their hands on one.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 11:19 am

Dynamic_knight wrote:Hi Mike

New member here can you please pm me.

Thanks
Tom.

I've sent you a PM, cheers.

whitefang wrote:It looks like word of your quilts is spreading, Mike. There seems to be quite a few new members to the forum just looking to get their hands on one.

There have been several new members interested in quilts lately, which could be through word-of-mouth from other members or from people viewing the forum as guests. I am (slowly) working towards launching a brand and website but I'll be keeping it on the forum for the next few months I'd say as I'm prioritising getting the other sizes ready for one thing and I've had a steady stream of orders to make as well.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 2:57 pm

Had my quilt out for the first real night in some cold weather this weekend (-8C Hyperdry version in lime green & black). Did a quick overnighter out to Wollangambe Crater in the Blue Mountains. It was a surprisingly chilly night, with our thermometers registering -5 C just before sunrise. The quilt performed perfectly. I was wearing lightweight thermals & a Zpacks hood & was more than warm enough. Didn't even need to tighten up the neck drawstring. The sleeping pad straps worked perfectly on my NeoAir and had no problems with draughts. I was very happy with the comfort of the quilt. I toss & turn a lot when I sleep and I felt much less restricted than in my mummy sleeping bag. I did have some condensation on the foot of the bag and around my face, but the DWR treatment kept it out of the down. One of my most comfortable nights out, and the warmth for the weight (630g) is just fantastic

Very,very happy with my quilt & a big thanks to Mike for making such a great product !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 6:33 pm

That sounds like a good test for your quilt Turfa, and I'm glad it performed well. I'd love to see more photos from the field if you've got any.

In the mean time here are some photos of a batch I sent out recently:

P1260256e.JPG

From the top we've got a +4C Olive Drab and Green Tea, a -2C Deep Purple and Royal Blue, a -2C Red and Black, a -8C Burnt Orange and Navy and a -8C Moroccan Blue and Black. The top three have fully opening zip and drawcord footboxes and the bottom two have sewn in footboxes.

P1260252e.JPG
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts