ZebraLight at Tier Gear

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

ZebraLight at Tier Gear

Postby simonm » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 8:54 am

Hi all,

Our initial order of Zebralights have arrived. I will build the stock and options up as we progress, and as I personally learn more about the lights themselves. Along with the H502w and H52w both in neutral white, I have some accessories such as extra headbands and silicone holders which I will add to the site later on today. I did also get one H600w II just to see the difference, and assess whether I will stock it in future.

As always I am happy to answer any questions, or take on board any suggestions for future stock. The Zebralights currently qualify for free shipping within Australia.

http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/online-shop/zebralight
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tiergear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Re: ZebraLight at Tier Gear

Postby kitty » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 9:50 am

Awesome. I love these lights! Id buy one from you if I didnt have two already :)
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby simonm » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 10:40 am

I am looking forward to testing them out myself this weekend.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:42 pm

I'm surprised you can wait that long!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 4:38 pm

I've been using a Zebralight for years now and think they're great. A really top product addition!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:21 pm

I asked about the flash mode, whether it could be disabled? They explained to me what it was so I wrote back and asked could it be disabled? (as it is unnecessary, annoying and wasteful). They must be offended. i'd still like to know if this is possible if you have a line to them Simon?
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:30 pm

Nuts, it's a 'flashlight'. You want to disable it? Or were you talking about a flasher function?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:35 pm

No mate, it starts warning you (very early) that your battery is running down by letting out a flash of light now and then when off.. not often just enough to be annoying :) It keeps doing so through the night, I guess to remind you to replace the battery in case you don't realise it's flat :mrgreen: ..
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:52 pm

Nuts - I will see what I can find out.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:58 pm

Ta, i'm on my third (they seem to grow legs), it's not a deal breaker, just a bit wacky!
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:03 pm

undercling-mike wrote:I've been using a Zebralight for years now and think they're great. A really top product addition!

They certainly look the goods.

Strider wrote:I'm surprised you can wait that long!

I have amazing powers of self-control.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:21 pm

Nuts wrote:No mate, it starts warning you (very early) that your battery is running down by letting out a flash of light now and then when off.. not often just enough to be annoying :) It keeps doing so through the night, I guess to remind you to replace the battery in case you don't realise it's flat :mrgreen: ..

I unscrew the battery cap a half turn when not in use so the battery isn't connected and there is no chance to flash and no chance of it turning on in your bag/pocket. I have an older model which doesn't have the flash 'feature' in any case.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:36 pm

What Mike said. I learned the hard way on the first night of a couple of trips to find it had turned on in my pack and battery flat.

That was my old H51 though. The H52 has a better switch.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 7:02 pm

Still the best iv'e used (which makes the new feature especially unfortunate) and it will be great to have a quicker supplier.. there may be a sequence to change the flash warning but it's several times a night in my routine, as the battery drains, and the day. Never bothered at all with the first H52, maybe flat once or twice but rare + spare battery.
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 1:21 pm

Nuts wrote:I asked about the flash mode, whether it could be disabled? They explained to me what it was so I wrote back and asked could it be disabled? (as it is unnecessary, annoying and wasteful). They must be offended. i'd still like to know if this is possible if you have a line to them Simon?

Nuts - I have the official word. The only way to disable it is to unscrew the tail cap.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 3:24 pm

Ta. I searched for others having similar questions and see that the odd one was sent back but rather than a fault it sounds like it was more from not expecting the warning sig. the enloops we use get old quickly, recharged a lot over summer, may be part of it considering sig starts at 1.06v.

Thanks for asking.
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:17 pm

For those of you who cannot justify spending $100.00 + on a Torch you may like to check out the Ultrafire UF-H2b (same functions features as Zebralight ) for a lot less cost (around $40.00 Del) I have used mine for several years and cannot fault it .
Not to say the Zebralight is no good just that some of us do not have that sort of coin to spend :(
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi Nuts.

It's strange that your Eneloop's are not lasting. They are the ducks nuts of rechargeable NiMH batteries (well the older ones made in Japan are, the new Panasonic eneloop are inferior).

What charger you using? Most "smart chargers" are rubbish, including the eneloop branded charger.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:44 am

Eneloop branded chargers and yes, the latest batteries I noticed were panasonic :(
Can you recommend a good charger SAH? (need 12v charging from solar)
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Nuts.

You'll probably have price rage too when you see these chargers, but I did too before I jumped on the bandwagon.

In terms of a charger, I'd recommend either the LaCrosse BC-700 or if your budget can stretch, the MAHA/Powerex C9000.

If you want to know why, read on... but be prepared to be absolutely bored ****less :mrgreen:

The NiMH technology burns NiCad for dead. It has a much higher energy efficiency, and doesn't suffer from memory effect.

The problem is that charging NiMH is a tricky business. NiCad were pretty bulletproof when charging, you generally couldn't do too much wrong (other than severely overheat them by charging too high). NiCads can be trickle charged without detriment, so most chargers were "dumb", low current chargers that just kept charging the batteries even once they were full as this did not damage them.

The problem with NiMH is they don't like being overcharged and they definitely don't like being overheated. Also, NiMH display some weird and difficult to detect voltage behaviour when they are approaching fully charged - and so a dumb charger often has trouble identifying when the battery is full. It then either overcharges and/or overheats the battery, and you get very dead batteries very quickly - after 20 or 30 uses.

You might wonder why the actual Eneloop charger is crap, and that would be a very good question. Essentially, Eneloop are hands down the best and most consistent NiMH batteries going around. But they don't make any money without selling more, so having a rubbish charger means that they'll get your business more often.

What you need for NiMH is a charger which has an adjustable rate of charge, one which can correctly terminate the charge when the battery is full and detect when it is getting too hot.

That's what the MAHA C9000 and BC700 do. They allow you to choose the charging rate in milliamps, and don't allow the battery to be overcharged or overheated. Also, when the battery is full - the trickle charge if you leave them in there is very small and below the threshhold which could cause battery damage.

NiMH are best charged at approximately 0.5C - so a 2000mAh Eneloop AA would be charged at 1000mA (which would take around 2 hours if fully depleted). The MAHA C9000 will also tell you at the end of the charge exactly how much it stuffed into the battery. It also has a mode which attempts to revitalise dead batteries, and another which can measure the capacity of your batteries so you know which ones are on the way out.

If you decide to go down this route, you'll have to look at just how many batteries you go through and work out if it's worth it. When I bought mine, I probably didn't go through enough to justify the purchase price, but then it's so much better for the environment to be getting 500-1000 charges out of these things rather than 20 or so. Head over to candlepowerforums and do some research on chargers there.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 4:31 pm

@ South_Aussie_Hiker - that is some great information. Where would you recommend to purchase those chargers from?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks SAH, have bulk batteries so a decent charger is probably overdue.

Maha: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/searc ... MAHA+C9000 (+ 4 AA + 12V via accessory cord ) ($127us delivered)

LaCrosse: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/

??
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 6:21 pm

That is a big price difference.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 6:48 pm

simonm wrote:@ South_Aussie_Hiker - that is some great information. Where would you recommend to purchase those chargers from?

I bought mine from Kayell Australia, Johnston Street, Collingwood, Victoria: http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/maha-powerex-c9000-charger-2400mah-bundle-p-4246.html
But note out of stock at present.

I decided to get this charger after reading an earlier thread here where Zone-5 and others made the recommendation: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20235&p=269038&hilit=maha#p268872
peregrinator

Postby MikeB62 » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 7:23 pm

I got one from these guys some time ago. A popular supplier on the whirlpool forums
http://www.protog.com.au/buy/maha-powerex-mh-c9000-wizardone-aa-aaa-battery-cha/9000
MikeB62
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 7:28 pm

I got mine from protog - see link above. Service was great.

An alternative here http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/maha- ... -3851.html

$99 AUD + post is a lot cheaper than $127 US

I'm not going to tell you which one is best because I only own the MAHA (which is 12V 2A powered ). What I do know is that some of the geeks on CPF think that the MAHA tends to terminate a little more conservatively than others (perhaps 5% before a full charge) which is really good for battery longevity, because you know it will never be overcharged. Apparently the MAHA interface is a bit more clunky to use (more button presses).

LaCrosse do make more powerful models now. CandlePowerForums is definitely the place to go if you want more info on the pros and cons of different hobby chargers.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby simonm » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:15 pm

Great information.

Thanks.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks, that is a more realistic supplier. So... about batteries :)
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 10:32 pm

So... about batteries :)

You should have learnt not to poke the bear the first time around!

If you want info on the actual batteries (and particularly the old Eneloop vs the new Panasonic Eneloop), then I'm happy to oblige. Don't want to bore people too much though!
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby simonm » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 5:29 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:
So... about batteries :)

You should have learnt not to poke the bear the first time around!

If you want info on the actual batteries (and particularly the old Eneloop vs the new Panasonic Eneloop), then I'm happy to oblige. Don't want to bore people too much though!

I was going to ask about batteries but was afraid to ask :P . Let's hear it.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts