REI shipping costs reduced

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

REI shipping costs reduced

Postby skibug » Mon 16 May, 2016 9:05 pm

Received an email from REI (Recreation Equipment incorporated, the biggest outdoors retailer in the states), on May the 4th, announcing international shipping will drop to $20 for items over $150, $35 for everything less ($US, of course). These are significantly better than most retailers, and usually American eBay sellers as well. Of course you are still limited by the product restrictions placed by suppliers on selling to overseas customers, so as not to disrupt local distributors. The outlet shop is especially worth lurking in for bargains.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: REI shipping costs reduced

Postby jakeyarwood » Mon 16 May, 2016 11:29 pm

Thanks for the tip!! :D
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 17 May, 2016 1:39 am

You beaut! No ideas why I didn't see the email, probably went to my spam box.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nocens » Tue 17 May, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks Skibug!

Sent from my LG-H340 using Tapatalk
nocens
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Penguin » Tue 17 May, 2016 11:34 am

Now all we need is to get rid of the geoblocking , particularly the items we cannot get here because the local distributor cannot be bothered importing them.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nocens » Tue 17 May, 2016 2:52 pm

I haven't heard of that happening but could you use a freight forwarding company?

Sent from my LG-H340 using Tapatalk
nocens
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lseries92 » Tue 17 May, 2016 7:50 pm

I think this is the geo-blocking list that is being referred to but using a freight forwarder gets around it:

https://www.rei.com/help/restricted-vendors.html
lseries92
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby skibug » Wed 18 May, 2016 2:07 pm

You can use freight forwarding, like "Shipito" amongst many, but the shipping costs can be very high, remembering that they are in $US, so multiply by around 1.3 to get the $AU price. I've found that occasionally it's cheaper to buy from the UK, rather than the US, as the postage can be considerably less. Another method that sometimes works is to search on Amazon, and although they will not ship a given product, they will list other retailers that seem to ignore the embargos (or are just not aware of them). Sometimes, I've also found searching on Ebay.com, rather than Ebay.com.au, gives a wider range of alternatives, and sometimes cheaper shipping - be aware, though, that the prices will be in $US and you need to convert. And that it's Ebay - buyer beware and fore-warned!

In all of these activities, though, be aware that buying from overseas will generally make warranty claims and returns much harder, as you will be responsible for postage back to the vendor's country.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Wed 18 May, 2016 5:10 pm

lseries92 wrote:I think this is the geo-blocking list that is being referred to but using a freight forwarder gets around it:

I have a mate who is my "freight forwarder" in the US. My beef is that items are goeblocked that the local distributor won't/can't be bothered bringing in. Much more convenient if I could direct ship. In the main I will by local if the item is available for reasons of supporting local retailers (bricks and mortar or virtual) and for convenience of return. Often very similar price to the landed product i you look around locally.

Not hard to get around the geoblock, England is a good source. So why have it??
Penguin

Postby paul_gee » Wed 25 May, 2016 11:18 am

It's the commercial thread, so I can share a whopping plug here, right?

Always run a quick search on the Snowys website before buying from overseas as you'll most likely get like-for-like for less with us, once you factor in postage. Some of the Massdrop drop prices, though...
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Slowly chipping away at the Heysen Trail. Content Marketing Manager at Snowys Outdoors.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby neaira » Sat 28 May, 2016 1:04 pm

lseries92 wrote:I think this is the geo-blocking list that is being referred to but using a freight forwarder gets around it:

I think it would be easier to list which brands they DO ship.
neaira
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts