Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Postby Hypocaffeinic » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 4:25 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
jdeks wrote:But lastly, and by far the best, is that with a bit of clever clipping, you can actually turn it into a very stylish wizards cloak! Not sure if this was by design, but if you're serious about going ultralight, there's real potential for this to augment any night clothes when you're kicking around the hut/campsite.

The Wizard's Cloak! No I hadn't thought of that, looks good and very inventive! I was just thinking people would use it opened up as a wrap for camp use. What is that huge camp mat you have in the pics?

His magic carpet, of course!
Hypocaffeinic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 4:49 pm

Hypocaffeinic wrote:
undercling-mike wrote:
jdeks wrote:But lastly, and by far the best, is that with a bit of clever clipping, you can actually turn it into a very stylish wizards cloak! Not sure if this was by design, but if you're serious about going ultralight, there's real potential for this to augment any night clothes when you're kicking around the hut/campsite.

The Wizard's Cloak! No I hadn't thought of that, looks good and very inventive! I was just thinking people would use it opened up as a wrap for camp use. What is that huge camp mat you have in the pics?

His magic carpet, of course!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby jdeks » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:06 pm

undercling-mike wrote:

It's the Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe SI - Dumbledore Edition.

Most comfortable thing I've ever slept on. Didn't even bother getting a new bed when I moved apartments last year, I just use it like a futon Nihon-style and roll it up each morning. It's ruined me for other mats and beds.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Mike

My current bag is width is 150cm at its widest point (when opened flat) 75cm when zippered. This width feels about right to me as I sleep on my stomach with my arms out a bit.

What sort of options do you have for regular length wide -8 850 quilts. What would be width/grams/cost?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 7:38 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Hi Mike

My current bag is width is 150cm at its widest point (when opened flat) 75cm when zippered. This width feels about right to me as I sleep on my stomach with my arms out a bit.

What sort of options do you have for regular length wide -8 850 quilts. What would be width/grams/cost?

The regular/wide quilt is 152cm at the widest point (shoulders) so would match your bag pretty exactly. I really need to get all the specs and info together and maybe start a new thread with all the info together at the top, sorry all the info is so disorganised at the moment. A regular/wide -8C quilt with 850 fill down weighs approx. 655g (with 15d shell and 10d inner) and the cost is $460. There's some info and pictures of the wide option on page 2 of this thread.

Cheers,
Michael
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 8:07 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
wildwanderer wrote:Hi Mike

The regular/wide quilt is 152cm at the widest point (shoulders) so would match your bag pretty exactly. I really need to get all the specs and info together and maybe start a new thread with all the info together at the top, sorry all the info is so disorganised at the moment. A regular/wide -8C quilt with 850 fill down weighs approx. 655g (with 15d shell and 10d inner) and the cost is $460. There's some info and pictures of the wide option on page 2 of this thread.

Cheers,
Michael

Cheers Mike. PM incoming.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Realmac » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 6:41 pm

Mike can you pm me, interested in quilt details,
Thanks
Realmac
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby lukebutters » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi Mike

The quilts look great, how thick are the -2 and -8 quilts?

When you sew in the foot box how far up do you sew it? Does it still have a zipper or anything to partially widen it?

What is the advantage of the 15D nylon on the outside? is it just a little stronger or does it provide some other advantage like less water/air transfer keeping the down dry and heat in.

Also could you please pm me?

Thanks, Luke
lukebutters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 11:00 am

Hi realmac and lukebutters, I'm send me ng you PMs, cheers.

lukebutters wrote:Hi Mike

The quilts look great, how thick are the -2 and -8 quilts?

When you sew in the foot box how far up do you sew it? Does it still have a zipper or anything to partially widen it?

What is the advantage of the 15D nylon on the outside? is it just a little stronger or does it provide some other advantage like less water/air transfer keeping the down dry and heat in.

Also could you please pm me?

Thanks, Luke

Hi Luke, the loft/thickness isn't the easiest thing to measure accurately or consistently but the -2C is about 2.5" and the -8 is about 3.25"

The sewn footbox depth is about 43cm (regular size) and there is no zipper but there is a snap to close it up to about 60cm.

The main advantage of the 15d fabric is that it's a little stronger, the water resistance, wind resistance and breathability are very similar between the 10d and 15d fabrics.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi I sent email previously interested in this
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 05 Oct, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi Mike, can you please PM me with some specs? Thanks.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm

Al M wrote:Hi I sent email previously interested in this

Hi Al, I've sent you a PM.

Huntsman247 wrote:Hi Mike, can you please PM me with some specs? Thanks.

I've sent you a PM also.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mattydeekiwi » Mon 08 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Interested in the quilts if you can PM the specs through. Cheers
mattydeekiwi
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm wondering if you have reached the stage where you could do a large back country blanket for Cecile, she really hates sleeping bags
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:27 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I'm wondering if you have reached the stage where you could do a large back country blanket for Cecile, she really hates sleeping bags

Hi MD, I might have an option that would be of interest to you, I'll send you a PM when I get some time later in the evening.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lukebutters » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Mike

Have you considered a sewen through quilt with synthetic insulation for summer perhaps with "up" insulation see https://dutchwaregear.com/product/up-insulation-3-oz/

-Luke
lukebutters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 5:36 pm

lukebutters wrote:Hi Mike

Have you considered a sewen through quilt with synthetic insulation for summer perhaps with "up" insulation see https://dutchwaregear.com/product/up-insulation-3-oz/

-Luke

That stuff is definitely interesting, I'm guessing it's probably Primaloft Black Insulation ThermoPlume marketed by Dutchware as UP insulation :lol: . I've been thinking I should try to get my hands on some to see what it's like as it could be a plug-in alternative to down in my quilts for people who want synthetic for whatever reason. There's still a lot of questions to answer, like the packed volume and durability to compression cycles with packing and unpacking, construction would be the same as for down so the cost savings are not likely to be huge but it could be a good option for a 'premium' synthetic quilt.

For a summer quilt in the 10C range it could definitely work, although my observation is that so far the people who have ordered custom warmer weather quilts in the +8C to +10C range have been fast-packers or ultra-runners looking for the absolute minimum packed volume and weight, meaning down insulation. To do a sewn through quilt would be a different design for me, not a complicated design necessarily but it would require some work to prepare for efficient production and my feeling is that a +4C rated quilt would be a better general use option for a summer weight quilt for most people so I'm not likely to offer sewn through quilts for now (Although I do offer synthetic quilts made with climashield APEX as overquilts and summer quilts viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27811).

Anyway, I'm definitely interested to have a look at the ThermoPlume/UP insulation when I get a chance, at least to experiment with it and see what it offers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lukebutters » Sat 03 Nov, 2018 3:56 am

Ah I didn't even see that you do that, I was thinking of making something like that myself as I assume the continuous insulation would be easy enough to work with. Although I was thinking of using it inside the down quilt, so it can absorb oils and the stink of the day as I assume it is easier to wash than down.
lukebutters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby phueck » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Mike

I'm interested in ordering a quilt, could you PM me some more details and if you have any in stock?
phueck
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 24 Nov, 2018 11:35 am

phueck wrote:Hi Mike

I'm interested in ordering a quilt, could you PM me some more details and if you have any in stock?

I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pindidi18 » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:39 am

Looks amazing, where do you source the down from?
pindidi18
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 7:00 pm

pindidi18 wrote:Looks amazing, where do you source the down from?

Thanks! I'm sourcing the down from Allied Feather in the USA and it is RDS (Responsible Down Standard) certified (except for the 800 fill goose down that I had originally, which ultimately comes from another supplier in America that as far as I can tell has a fully RDS certified supply chain).
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby -dz- » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 8:13 pm

Hey Michael, anything in stock at the monent?

How are the double quilts coming? Ever figure out how to fasten two together cleanly?

Completely forgot to organise a new bag for my xmass trip now I'm scrambling. Yikes.
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 11:55 pm

-dz- wrote:Hey Michael, anything in stock at the monent?

How are the double quilts coming? Ever figure out how to fasten two together cleanly?

Completely forgot to organise a new bag for my xmass trip now I'm scrambling. Yikes.

Hi -dz- I've got the following quilts in stock at the moment:

1. -2C short/regular width, Red Ochre 15d MR shell and Burnt Orange 10d inner. $390 plus postage.
3. -2C regular/regular, Modified woodland camo print shell in Membrane 15 and Membrane 10 Dark Olive inner. $360 plus postage.
7. -2C long/regular width, Rainforest Green 15d MR shell and Burnt Orange inner. $420 plus postage.

As for the double quilts I'm going to show something on them very soon. There's actually two versions, a UL version and a deluxe (but still light) version. Unfortunately I haven't come up with a design to connect two quilts together that I'm happy with. I have prototyped a version and it does petty much work but there are some issues that I'm not sure how to resolve at the moment and it adds quite a lot of construction complexity.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rayhiko » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi Mike

Could you please PM me details on the -8 Regular Wide and -2 Regular Wide.

Thanks
rayhiko
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 24 Dec, 2018 12:40 pm

Update on double quilts: I've got not one but two double quilt designs finalised, a UL version and a deluxe version (still a little lighter than two equivalent single quilts). In playing with the design over quite a number of months I figured that there would be room for two designs that would better cover the differing needs and priorities of potential users. I also wanted to offer an opening footbox version of a double quilt as it's a very nice feature to be able to open it up as a blanket and makes the design more versatile in use. I'm also looking at offering a sewn footbox version.

In terms of sizing the UL version has width dimensions of approximately 200cm at the shoulder, 170cm at the hips and 150cm at the foot end while the deluxe is 220cm at the shoulder, 205cm at the hips and 187cm at the foot. For an idea of weights a -8C UL double in regular length with zip/drawcord footbox, 15d shell and 10d inner fabrics and 850 fill down is approx. 960g for the quilt itself while a dlx double quilt with the same options is approx. 1130g.

At this stage the UL double is basically ready to go while I'm still in the process of getting templates made for the dlx double.

Some photos of the UL double:
eP1310148.JPG

With adjustable top opening extender
eP1310151.JPG

Fully opened in blanket mode
eP1310153.JPG

Double pad strap system uses non elastic ribbon with adjustable ladder lock buckles to tightly hold your pads together. The double quilts also have the same buckle attachments that mate with clips on the pad straps to help hold the quilt in place as you move around.
eP1310145.JPG

Footbox fully closed up
eP1310136.JPG

A nice way to use the zip/drawcord footbox when you need some warmth but not maximum warmth is to have the zip undone and the drawcord mostly pulled in (experiment with how much you tighten the drawcord), this causes the end of the quilt to form a cup shape to cover your feet while having extra width compared to when the zipper is open. This also works great for the single quilts.
eP1310142.JPG
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 24 Dec, 2018 12:56 pm

Hey Michael,

I reviewed your quilt. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=28963

In a nutshell: very happy with my purchase! :D
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 24 Dec, 2018 1:03 pm

Pictures of the deluxe double:
eP1310069.JPG

The quilt shell and inner are each made with 4 main fabric panels with curved seams, this photo with a big pillow under the quilt shows off the curved seam in the center. Both the UL and deluxe doubles also have a differential cut.
eP1310070.JPG

Underside of the quilt
eP1310066.JPG

Optional shoulder/neck draft blocker to insulate the space between the necks of the two users. In the deluxe quilt this has a clip to hold this out of the way if it's not being used. My feeling is that with enough length of the quilt many people will not find this necessary but some will like it so it's a nice option (can be retrofitted at a later time).
eP1310080.JPG

With the neck draft blocker in place each user has their own independent elastic drawcord for individual adjustment.
eP1310089.JPG

On an enormous long/wide Exped double pad
eP1310096.JPG

Footbox with the zip undone and the drawcord pulled in most of the way
eP1310103.JPG

The independent top drawcords allows one person to be sealed off tightly while the other can still vent
eP1310102.JPG

The clip to hold back the neck draft blocker allows for sleeping close or spooned without having the draft blocker getting in your face
eP1310099.JPG

With the quilt fully opened. It could possibly be used as a family quilt in milder conditions with a small child in this mode
eP1310104.JPG
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 26 Dec, 2018 8:58 am

They look great Mike, what are the prices?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby coryjohnrist » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Mike, could you please PM me to start the ball rolling on a quilt order. Many thanks :)
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts