Primal Pods - Ultra-Convenient Meals - Discount code

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Primal Pods - Ultra-Convenient Meals - Discount code

Postby edasfoods » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 7:38 pm

Primal Pods are instantly edible meals that are delicious and nutrient ­rich and ideal for the adventurous.
No Rehydration
No Preparation
No Cleaning
Eat on the GO!

Perfect for hiking, caving, climbing, kayaking, flying, fighting, training, crossfit, working ... well just about anything really.
Join the #foodrebellion, eat Primal Pods!

For an independent review focused on hiking with Pods please visit the review from Tim Savage from the Australian Hiker blog (https://australianhiker.com.au/gear/edas-primal-pods/).

If you would like to get your hands on our pods at a discounted price simply use the discount code BUSHWALKAUS for 15% off!
edasfoods
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: EDAS Foods
Region: South Australia

Re: Primal Pods - Ultra-Convenient Meals - Discount code

Postby ribuck » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 12:20 am

1240kJ for under 100 grams.

Interesting, I'll definitely try these. If they're palatable, I can see situations where I would use them. They sound great for bushwalking during total fire bans, or where weight is so critical that I don't want to carry a stove and billy.

It's a pity they have the silica gel sachet inside, which will need to be carried out.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:34 am

ribuck wrote:It's a pity they have the silica gel sachet inside, which will need to be carried out.

I'd think removing the silica sachet would be ok if you were going to consume the food within, say, a week.

---------------
Website has nothing on postage/delivery costs ... and contacting them looks to be through facebook..

Looks like a $7 delivery fee for 1 meal... bit exe.
If your in SA you can do a local shop.
Last edited by Warin on Thu 30 Aug, 2018 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:41 am

I wonder how they'd go as a rehydrated hot meal. Certainly tempting to try out.

As for the cost, given how much something like Backcountry costs, it's not bad value in comparison.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Mon 17 Sep, 2018 1:43 pm

I tried these last week and I like them.
I assumed they would have to be better than they sounded and they turned out to be better than I was expecting.
Good flavour combinations, the meat is more like cardboard than leather but palatable. Some of the other stuff had a nice crunchy texture.
You need to spend time chewing which is a good thing as it helps make the meal feel more filling/satisfying.

I think it has a place in my pack but I wouldn't want to live off it. It's main advantage is it is light-weight.
A couple of options for this product are:
  • Going SUL overnight and not taking a stove (would work well with a wine or 3 if you want to trade-off the weight savings of not taking a stove).
  • Longer walks where the weight is starting to add-up and fresh food ceases to be an option.
  • Backup meal in case of bad weather/not sure when you'll return.

I'll buy some more. I think postage was around $12 but with the BUSHWALKAUS code, it effectively bought that down to around $7 for 3 meals (don't quote on that)
crollsurf

Postby bluewombat » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 2:48 pm

There is a bit of difference in terms of energy provided between these and a standard dehydrated meal, which can be an issue if you are trying to travel light but maintain your work rate, eg the Primal Thai chicken single serve weighs 80 gms and provides 1295 kj, a campers pantry beef teriyaki (which has lower carbs than the PP and happened to be lying on my office floor) weighs 100gm and provides 2720 kj of energy (ie 2176 kj in an 80 gm serve), so an extra 880 kj or roughly 60% more kjs. I realise I have not accounted for the kjs you burn carrying fuel and stove etc but there is a still going to be a significant energy difference per meal. Not an issue if you are using them for a few days, but over a longer period it may be
BW

Edit: but on the other hand I just checked another campers pantry vegetarian meal, same weight as PP, pretty much the same calories
Even a long life is short
DPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Mon 08 Oct, 2018 8:40 am

Interesting. Bit of a stretch calling them all keto friendly. The Pork is probably the only one that's close.
cams

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 27 Dec, 2018 4:39 pm

Just ordered 1x each of the meat varieties as I feel off food in the heat so thought these may be a bit worth a try for dinner substitues- plus no stove to carry . Hoping they are a winner.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts