[TAS north] Eric Sargent Audio-Visual, Craclair Tours

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

[TAS north] Eric Sargent Audio-Visual, Craclair Tours

Postby guyburns » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 12:06 am

Fifty years ago in late October 1968, Eric Sargent started Craclair Tours, the first company to run guided walking tours through the Cradle area since the Gustav Weindorfer era in the 1930s. To commemorate the 50th Anniversary, Eric and I are presenting an 80-minute audio-visual about his adventurous life. The show is called Clytie & Me. Last year an unfinished version was shown at the Launceston Historical Society and a short news item appeared in the Examiner.

Eric sold Craclair in 2005 after 37 years at the helm. He's now 90, living in Devonport, and even though he can no longer bushwalk, until a few months ago he was still paddling a kayak once a week with a group of friends.

Sound and Image Quality
We aimed at a professional level for the sound and images. The slides were scanned on my Nikon V ED at 4000 dpi, then cleaned, and colour and contrast corrected in Photoshop. Prints were scanned on my Epson V700 flatbed. The 8mm films were sent to videopro.dk in Denmark for scanning at 2K on a Lasergraphics Scan Station.

I think we can confidently say that the images on the screen will be the best you're ever likely to see from source material that is up to 80 years old. And Eric's not too bad as a narrator!

Presentations
There will be three presentations in Ulverstone and one in Launceston. Eric's show is the main feature, presented after interval. Before interval there will be three shorts:

• a digital slide-show about Waldheim (10 minutes)
• Stephen Wilson, a local artist who did the artwork for a chapter in Clytie & Me, describes one of his painting techniques (8 minutes)
• Adrian Young takes us to the Central Highlands, an area he has been visiting for almost 60 years (20 minutes)

More details can be found on this webpage.
guyburns
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: [TAS north] Eric Sargent Audio-Visual, Craclair Tours

Postby Warin » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:49 am

Please keep a record of these.

Even if your not planning on releasing them to the internet public,
in future years they can be played again, particularly for special occasions.
Warin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks Guy Burns.
"The guides are all complaining there's mobile reception and hot showers," Godfrey laughs.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby guyburns » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 3:07 pm

Warin wrote:Please keep a record of these. Even if your not planning on releasing them to the internet public,
in future years they can be played again, particularly for special occasions.

Most of what I'm doing at the moment is about preserving history, so yes, these AVs will eventually be available for download free of charge, in 1080P HD, at the original quality. They won't be on YouTube or Vimeo though, only on the website.

All the shows will end up on Blu-ray as well: about six hours runtime on three disks. But I may only make those available to those who contributed or who attended a showing.
guyburns
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts