Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Meander Falls Access

Wed 09 Feb, 2011 8:52 am

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm sure a member of the forum cognoscenti will move it as necessary.

As many would know the road access to this popular day walk was destroyed by a massive flash flood that wiped out the Mother Cummings Rivulet Bridge and the top bridge over the Meander near the picnic ground.

I don't think I've ever seen so much damage done to a river from a flood - large sections of the Meander have been 'wiped' clean of rocks and it is just a flat 'table top' like river in some places. I reckon the river bed is 1m below where it used to be.

I rang Forestry at Devonport yesterday to find out when the bridges would be replaced, and the response was that they haven't decided 'IF' they will be replaced yet.

This is a very unsatisfactory outcome for walkers who enjoy the easy access to some great walks, and I'm sure locals and visitor's alike will be somewhat less-than-gruntled.

Does anyone have any idea on whom to lobby to restore access to this area?

I guess Forestry aren't interested as the coupes in this area are now off-limits for logging, but surely there can be some progress in fixing the bridges.

Cheers
Neil.

Re: Meander Falls Access

Wed 09 Feb, 2011 9:50 am

Just wondering, how much distance/walking does this add to the walk up Mother Cummings???

Wed 09 Feb, 2011 9:54 am

Neil Grose wrote:Not sure where else to post this, but I'm sure a member of the forum cognoscenti will move it as necessary.

Moved to the "Tasmania" forum.

Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:41 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Just wondering, how much distance/walking does this add to the walk up Mother Cummings???

None, they are accessed on the Meander side of the bridges.

Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:26 pm

lol. oh goody

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 5:53 am

shazcol wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Just wondering, how much distance/walking does this add to the walk up Mother Cummings???

None, they are accessed on the Meander side of the bridges.

There is a slight addition as the road up to the old bridge at the start of the Smoko Falls track is also washed out, but it would only be less than a kilometre I'd imagine. It was a big hole in the road which you could drive around with some bravery, but now it is totally gone.
I'll post some images of the destruction a little later.
Cheers
Neil.

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:09 am

I'm with you Neil. If someone doesn't make noises about it then it will get 'lost'. Without wanting to create a controversy one would have thought access to this iconic walk would be a priority. Whiskylover made a comment about it here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5807&p=69933#p69933.
I'm happy to be involved in some lobbying. If someone has some ideas let us know. One other bridge that comes to mind is the Taytea bridge near the Milkshake Hills reserve. Another is access to Detention Falls south of Rocky Cape.

Gerry

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:33 am

Smoko creek road is about a 15 minute cycle to the old car park and the official start of the walks.

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:48 am

If the Meander Falls area can be currently accessed easily with 4wd then I would assume that an upgrade to this route may be more appropriate. I doubt whether Forestry have any money available and neither does the State Govt. I expect.
With regards to the Tayatea Bridge....cost to replace would be 100's of thousands...and in any case...the Milkshakes Reserve is easily accessed via the Kanunnah Bridge through Roger River....albeit a tad longer drive.

Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:50 am

:D
Post a reply