The Behemoth (Pelion West)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Behemoth (Pelion West)

Postby NickD » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello
In about two weeks I wish to attempt to climb this HUGE mother from Pelion Hut in a day. I love this mountain, observe it so often from afar and close, yet it still eludes me. To me it looks like Tasmanias most imposing (visually) mountain so I can't wait to have a crack at it.

Just wondering - where does the track turn off? What do I look out for to find the turn off? What is the track like (is it similar to the Thetis track?)?
Any other beta is appreciated.

I may change my mind on the trip weather conditions depending, also I wouldn't be keen to climb it in snow so we'll have to wait on that.
Also theres my unrelaible walking partner pulling out too :shock:

Wish me luck
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The Behemoth (Pelion West)

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 7:59 pm

Its a great peak and well worth climbing. I have not climbed it for ten years of so, and have not noticed the turn off to it on recent trips on the Overland Track - so I suspect the sign marking the track has either fallen off or been removed (similar to the Thetis track). I think the Achilles 1:25,000 map marks the turn off pretty well - so it should not be too hard to spot (my edition has the track marked). The track starts (at about 166 693) through some scrub - then enters more open alpine country higher up - the breaks out onto dolerite boulders. This section is great fun on a warm sunny day - but could well be quite tricky in snow or icy conditions. As you climb the boulders get bigger and it does get a bit trickier as well. The highest point (and true summit) - is a sloping pinnacle of dolerite - which is not too hard to climb - but difficult to stand on top of (especially if it is windy).

Its a very nice day trip - to continue on down and along the Pelion range to Achilles and Thetis and back down the Thetis track. The descent off Pelion West is surprisingly easy from the summit (and pretty close as well) - and the ridge is (from memory) open and fast going to Achilles. I do remember some scrub near Leonards Tarn - but this section is short. But - for this day - you need an early start (6am from Pelion Huts) and long daylight hours (ie better in summer) - and it would be good to be familiar with the Thetis track

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 9:42 pm

We would have walked past the turn off that starts the Pelion West climb during April if it had not been for a guide waiting there with the packs of the walking group. There was no sign to indicate it - only a large log laying up the hill with a worn pad on one side.

It looked like it would be easier to pick coming from the Pelion Hut direction, but I am sure we would have missed it as we were coming from Windamere. As it was, we did not have time for the climb and the day was poor due to smoke.

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby flyfisher » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Nick, I climbed Pelion West about 5 years ago and the track was a bit scratchy then
so it's probably worse now as I think people are being discouraged from using it.
The track starts close to Pelion creek, about 100 -200 metres on the East side of the creek. Good luck.

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:43 pm

Nick eggs described the start of the Track perfectly
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius