Travellers Rest/Rim Lake

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Travellers Rest/Rim Lake

Postby Mickeymoo » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 7:55 pm

Gday all, I'm thinking of heading up to Travellers Rest and onto Rim Lake for a few days soon, but I can't seem to find much info about access. I assume the best way is the small road about 5-6kms south from Derwent Bridge. Also does anyone know what the scrub is like once up on the range? would it be feasiable to reach Rim Lake in a day or is there lots of scrub to negotiate, from my limited knowledge on this area it's patchy and you can pick your way to avaoid a good chunk of it if your careful?

Any info would be great, may be best to PM me as it may not be appropriate to put up iin here as I assume from the lack of info and promotion it's regarded as a more trackless/sensitive area.

Cheers,

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Travellers Rest/Rim Lake

Postby DonQx » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello Michael,

I wouldn't have thought that access there is a sensitive issue ... but if anyone thinks so, pls educate me ...

Scrub on the range can be pretty dense, depends a bit on where exactly you go ... sorry, but my memory is too patchy, can't help with specifics.

1 day to Rim Lake should be possible, for myself I'd allow 2.

Map sketch below, road marked in bright blue is easy walking, the last few kms are a well formed track. Route shown in bright green is also possible, I'd prefer that one coz I prefer to be off forestry style gravel roads. You need to be reasonably confident as an off-track navigator though.

Not sure what you mean by "small road about 5-6kms south from Derwent Bridge" ... wrong direction?

map Traveller Rest Lake access.jpg
access to Travelers Rest Lake
map Traveller Rest Lake access.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:09 pm

Thnaks for that info. Opps I was referring to the road you have pointed out, south probably wasnt really the right choice of word :lol: I would also prefer to be off the road walking, but I guess it may be a bit quicker if wanting ot get to Rim Lake though.

Cheers

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby abowen » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 2:22 pm

Micheal,
From some of my colleagues I have heard that the scrub close to the western side of Travellers is tough.
We were up there last year, but on the eastern side following the lakes edge. There was a nice small white beach halfway along and it was easy walking to getting there. Delightful camp area. From there, however, was a tough scrub bash. Had everything - large boulders to hop around or over, thigh deep scoparia in the 'open' patches, and head high and very dense tea tree in some of the small gullies. Most of the time we couldn't see too much and we only covered about 3 kms in about 4 hours when we called it quits for the day. If the western side is anything like that, it would be pretty tough going.
The bright blue track on the map is the way in. Follows a few new and old forestry roads. We parked the cars a fair way in and picked up a taped track. This area is pretty tricky to navigate - there are lots of roads with the odd cairn and tape markings. Took a while to find the cars on the way out. Lost the turn off to a foot pad linking a couple roads together and following the GPS just pushed us further into a densely forested gully. If you need the dirctions to the car park area, I may be able to get them from the leader of our group.
Cheers,

Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 7:26 pm

G'day Michael, I was in the track to Travellers Rest back in march and I think if you basically keep left all the way (don't turn right uphill) you should be able to reach the Traveller river without too much bother. If you are in a 4wd you can keep going uphill to the right for quite a way.I think I was only half an hour or so from the lagoon where I parked.
Either way the track is plain to follow up to the lagoon. and finding the car isn't a problem due to proximity of the river.
Cheers Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Mickeymoo » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for that info Andrew and FF, sounds like if you pick the right route its not much of a problem. Some areial photos may be the way to go once up there buy the sounds of it, I will have to look into it if I end up going.

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania