Dog Friendly Hikes

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Dog Friendly Hikes

Postby whiteblaze786 » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi all, I only just stumbled upon this forum a few days again and I'm glad i have!

My fiance and I will be traveling up north of the state for 4 days in the next week. He are both avid herpetologists and photographers however I am after ideas of hikes that can allow me to bring my faithful doggy companion along with me, a border collie called Jess :) My partner and i have done plenty of hikes around the state but was not sure on which we are able to take our dog on, and that also provides a decent hike.. We will be camping the entire four days aswell, long hikes are the interest and prefer hikes that may have reptile life [ie snakes and lizards] during the summer months. Our dog is thoroughly trained and is always on lead, she is always with us when we are down south and doing photography so i wanted to bring her up with us this time to see how she goes up in the more complex/unknown areas.

i have also heard there is a possibility to get a special permit from mole creek so we can take her in the central plateau area, is this correct?? What exactly is required for this permit? and where do we go about getting it?

Any locations around Tasmania, prefer north, west and east as we are located down south and have done most down here.

Sorry for million and one questions guys, Any information appreciated!

Cheers.
whiteblaze786
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Dog Friendly Hikes

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 9:40 am

I would direct you to this topic but it didn't end up coming up with much useful information. There was a very good topic posted a few years ago with a log of good information on this, but I can't seem to find it now. It outlined exactly where you could take dogs walking, who to talk to in NPWS for info, etc.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:27 am

aha! Found it at last...

Please take a look through this topic.

It has some good information as well as some useful links on where you can take dogs walking.

It would be useful if somebody who loves walking with dogs could compile all this information and put it up in the wiki, or otherwise into a new topic in the wiki forum where somebody else could copy it into the wiki.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby whiteblaze786 » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm

Thank you for that, i looked through both.. It has given me some ideas but did not really answer one question.. The 'companion dog permit' for the conservation areas? Is it available for anyone? Just wanted to clarify. And again to clarify dogs are not aloud in WH and NP correct? but everywhere else they are fine unless otherwise signed? Sorry but just want to make sure.

Any other areas around tas that provide a good hiking experience [day hikes] that i can bring my furry companion along?
whiteblaze786
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stepbystep » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 1:59 pm

whiteblaze786 wrote:Thank you for that, i looked through both.. It has given me some ideas but did not really answer one question.. The 'companion dog permit' for the conservation areas? Is it available for anyone? Just wanted to clarify. And again to clarify dogs are not aloud in WH and NP correct? but everywhere else they are fine unless otherwise signed? Sorry but just want to make sure.

Any other areas around tas that provide a good hiking experience [day hikes] that i can bring my furry companion along?

My idea of a 'companion' animal is one for sight impared etc. Could be wrong though.

Best talk to PWS directly I would think, perhaps coastal areas like the Tarkine Coast? I only take mine on daywalks usually in State Forest near home.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whiteblaze786 » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeah that is what i have read on P&W website however i read in other thread on this site [http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=366]that there is a permit available from mole creek caves office that allows dogs into central plateau? I just wanted to confirm this, i am planning on giving them a call when im home from work.
whiteblaze786
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby greyim » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 8:22 pm

Give them a call you have to pick up the tag or if there;s time they'll post it
Nothing beats a nice camp fire
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MichaelP » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 2:05 pm

I did Mt. Maurice with a friend and her dog a few years ago, quite a great day walk if you're in the North.
MichaelP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania